How do I know if user has changed edit box of combo

4Eyes

• Moderators

You can probably register a WM_COMMAND message using EN_CHANGE, and get the handle of the edit control of the combobox using _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_GetEditControl().

I'll play a bit later if you can't figure it out ( And I remember to look at this thread again lol )

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

Here, quick and dirty:

#include <GuiComboBoxEx.au3>
#include <GuiImageList.au3>
#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

Global $h_combo_edit = 0

Global $hGUI, $hImage, $hCombo

; Create GUI
$hGUI = GUICreate("ComboBoxEx Get Edit Control", 400, 300)
$hCombo = _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_Create ($hGUI, "", 2, 2, 394, 268)
$h_combo_edit = _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_GetComboControl($hCombo)
GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "_WM_COMMAND")
GUISetState()

$hImage = _GUIImageList_Create (16, 16, 5, 3)
_GUIImageList_AddIcon ($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 110)
_GUIImageList_AddIcon ($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 131)
_GUIImageList_AddIcon ($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 165)
_GUIImageList_AddIcon ($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 168)
_GUIImageList_AddIcon ($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 137)
_GUIImageList_AddIcon ($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 146)
_GUICtrlComboBoxEx_SetImageList ($hCombo, $hImage)

For $x = 0 To 5
    _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_AddString ($hCombo, StringFormat("%03d : Random string", Random(1, 100, 1)), $x)
Next

; Loop until user exits
Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

Func _WM_COMMAND($h_wnd, $i_msg, $w_param, $l_param)
    #forceref $h_wnd, $i_msg, $w_param, $l_param

Local $i_command_code = BitAND($w_param, 0xFFFF)
    Local $i_command_notify = BitShift($w_param, 16)

Switch $l_param
        Case $hCombo
            Switch $i_command_notify
                Case $CBN_EDITCHANGE
                    ConsoleWrite("combo edit -> CBN_EDITCHANGE -> " & ControlGetText($hGUI, "", $hCombo) & @CRLF)
            EndSwitch
    EndSwitch
    Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG   
EndFunc

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

SmOke_N,

I'm already using a WM_COMMAND to detect double clicks in a ListView. Looks like I need a 2nd one monitoring $CBN_EDITCHANGE. The _GUICtrlComboBox_AutoComplete example is a little confusing but I'll see if I can work it out.

Thanks for your suggestion.

4Eyes

PS While I was thinking about replying, you already had. Thank you. BTW, your example needs the addition of:

#include <GUIComboBox.au3>

#Include <GuiComboBoxEx.au3>

Edited by 4Eyes

• Moderators

SmOke_N,

I'm already using a WM_COMMAND to detect double clicks in a ListView. Looks like I need a 2nd one monitoring $CBN_EDITCHANGE. The _GUICtrlComboBox_AutoComplete example is a little confusing but I'll see if I can work it out.

Thanks for your suggestion.

4Eyes

Guess you were typing that when I posted an example.

You don't need a 2nd WM_COMMAND (wouldn't work anyway). You just need to manage it, I gave you code to do that :D ..

SmOke_N,

Thanks again.

If I need to monitor 2 different Windows message types, wouldn't I need to register two messages, 1 for WM_NOTIFY, the other for $WM_COMMAND? The help file says 'Up to 256 user functions can be registered for message ID's.' Maybe I misinterpreted what you are saying.

I'll give it a go and see.

4Eyes

Edited by 4Eyes

• Moderators

SmOke_N,

Thanks again.

If I need to monitor 2 different Windows message types, wouldn't I need to register two messages, 1 for WM_NOTIFY, the other for $WM_COMMAND? The help file says 'Up to 256 user functions can be registered for message ID's.' Maybe I misinterpreted what you are saying.

I'll give it a go and see.

4Eyes

I have no idea what you have in your script. So asking this question you've asked is really... Well... Quite silly.

They are two different messages... You ask " 1 for, or the other for", ... well, all I can say is yes, if it suits your needs.

SmOke_N

Ah, I see. I meant to say register 2 different types of messages not 2 handlers for 1 type of message. I have a handler (correct term?) for WM_NOTIFY and now a 2nd for $CBN_EDITCHANGE. My bad.

Got it working well after fixing a few issues:

- as I use some parameters with the control creation like this:

_GUICtrlComboBoxEx_Create($guiP, "", 510, 70, 335, 155, BitOR($CBS_SIMPLE, $CBS_DISABLENOSCROLL, $WS_VSCROLL, $CBS_AUTOHSCROLL))

I had to use _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_GetEditText to read it else read nothing.

Next, was triggering an event for the key down and another for key up. Found that $i_command_code = 1001 for keydown so now do a test for that. I need to track down the const (I assume there is one) for keydown to remain compatible with possible future changes of that value. Searching the includes for keydown finds $LVN_KEYDOWN and $NM_KEYDOWN but it's neither of these. Anybody care to nominate the correct one?

Feels good to have this pretty much sorted. Thanks for your help.

4Eyes

Edited by 4Eyes