How to get OU of specific user in AD using adfunctions UDF

Hi all,

I have a certain manipulation that I must do in the Active directory. I have a script that does a couple of things using the AD (testing for attributes etc...) and then creates a user into another system using the attributes in the AD.

The way our AD is implemented, different types of employees (example: PERMANENT vs CONTRACTUAL) are part of different OUs, and so to know what type of employee the user is, I need to know from which OU he belongs to..

I am using the UDF adfunctions.au3 but I could not find a straight forward way to retrieve the user's OU given the username..

Is there such a way with that UDF or with any other technique??

thanks.

the123punch

Using adfunctions.au3 this should work and give you the FQDN (Full qualified domain name) of the current user:

#include <adfunctions.au3>
ConsoleWrite(_ADSamAccountNameToFQDN(@UserName) & @CRLF)

You can then strip off the required OU information.

HTH

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Using adfunctions.au3 this should work and give you the FQDN (Full qualified domain name) of the current user:

#include <adfunctions.au3>
ConsoleWrite(_ADSamAccountNameToFQDN(@UserName) & @CRLF)

You can then strip off the required OU information.

HTH

Hi water,

Thanks for the efficient reply.

Using this function, I got all the OU's of the user and I simply had to use a StringInStr() function to detect whether or not the user polled is in the specific OU.

Thanks a lot, it solved my issue

the123punch

Glad to be of service :D

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki