access through UAC ????!!!

AlienStar

• Moderators

I don't wanna disable coz my script will run in many PC's and by many users so if I disable it they might be not do that

so I wanna a guaranteed way to access through ...

!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately for us, it doesn't work that way.

!!!!!!!!!

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• 1 month later...

well i'll give you another laugh then :)

Iv got a couple of apps out there that are used by a "few" peeps and i have the same problem. I need to be able to update files in my apps folder which is "Program Files\JDast\" the way im updating is to directly download the updated files into said folder but if the user has UAC on then it just blocks it, it dont have a request window come up so user cant click "allow" or "yes" or whatever it is.

I have tried DL'ing the updated files to there %appdata% which is fine and then copying the files over to "Program Files\JDast\" but still no good, no UAC popup window just blocks. I know "most" people turn off UAC as soon as OS is installed, i know i do, but a lot of my users dont like to.

So any ideas ?

(odd thing is that my apps "install" into "Program Files\JDast\" fine ??)

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

JD's Auto Internet Speed Tester

JD's Clip Catch (With Screen Shot Helper)

Projects :- AutoIt - My projects

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. :-D

• Administrators

well i'll give you another laugh then Posted Image

Iv got a couple of apps out there that are used by a "few" peeps and i have the same problem. I need to be able to update files in my apps folder which is "Program Files\JDast\" the way im updating is to directly download the updated files into said folder but if the user has UAC on then it just blocks it, it dont have a request window come up so user cant click "allow" or "yes" or whatever it is.

I have tried DL'ing the updated files to there %appdata% which is fine and then copying the files over to "Program Files\JDast\" but still no good, no UAC popup window just blocks. I know "most" people turn off UAC as soon as OS is installed, i know i do, but a lot of my users dont like to.

So any ideas ?

(odd thing is that my apps "install" into "Program Files\JDast\" fine ??)

According to the data MS have, 80% of consumers don't turn off UAC - so better get used to only writing to user writable areas. You need admin privs to write to Program Files. If you are using an installer (like NSIS/MSI) then you might have admin privs during the install, but not after it finishes.

yea its all a pain, but iv managed to get around it by using another installer to do the updating instead of the much easer method of just dl'ing the updated parts of the app directly over the top of the old ones.

o well thus is life :/

cheers.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

hmm, well i thought i had tried that but i might just have given the owner full permissions and taken ownership of the folder, i cant exactly remember but i do know that when i check in the "Effective Permissions" put my user name in and it said i had full control.

maybe script runs as some other user group, i'll try with setting users to full permission

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

hmm, well i thought i had tried that but i might just have given the owner full permissions and taken ownership of the folder, i cant exactly remember but i do know that when i check in the "Effective Permissions" put my user name in and it said i had full control.

maybe script runs as some other user group, i'll try with setting users to full permission

just give "Everyone" control in permissions

yea , cheers all, that works

so iv got the option of leaving my update program as it now is or putting it back to how it was and figuring out how to change the permissions of a folder by script.

i'll prob just leave it now, but many thx all.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.