Stop and Resume Laptop Battery Charging

ken82m

I want to keep my laptop battery around 40-50%

So I could have a script monitor the battery level,

and hopefully force it to stop charging for a while??

But I'm not sure windows even has an interface for that.

I've been trying to find an app that can do this but no luck so far.

Thanks,

Kenny

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains... Go anywhere, when it is quiet, and just listen.. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged.... Long after we are gone our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."

I have never seen any app that can do what your asking, as far as i know the charging circuit is not controllable from within the OS, since it has to handle charging while the computer is powered off as well.

an understandable question LOL :D

Well IBM has an app that can actually do it, and another mfg too. I can't remember which

But maybe it's just controller some additional relays specific to that mfg.

I run on my charger most of the time but give my battery a workout at least onece a week.

But even at that my old battery died pretty quick as far as average length of service goes.

So I did some research, for longevity a battery should never go below 10%.

And if not being used for extended periods it should be kept at a charge around 40% versus 100%.

Just thought maybe I could figure out how to write a script I could toggle to limit by charge level unless I planned on using the battery.

my laptop pretty much never powers off while connected to my charger.

I only shut down if I'm take it somewhere.

But good point.

Edited by ken82m

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains... Go anywhere, when it is quiet, and just listen.. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged.... Long after we are gone our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."

an understandable question LOL :D

Well IBM has an app that can actually do it, and another mfg too. I can't remember which

But maybe it's just controller some additional relays specific to that mfg.

I run on my charger most of the time but give my battery a workout at least onece a week.

But even at that my old battery died pretty quick as far as average length of service goes.

So I did some research, for longevity a battery should never go below 10%.

And if not being used for extended periods it should be kept at a charge around 40% versus 100%.

Just thought maybe I could figure out how to write a script I could toggle to limit by charge level unless I planned on using the battery.

my laptop pretty much never powers off while connected to my charger.

I only shut down if I'm take it somewhere.

But good point.

I wish there was some way of doing it for the reasons you list above, but laptop makers are more than content to leave the battery baking away at 100%.

I'd rather not remove the battery because a) it's a PITA B ) the battery acts like a UPS.

EDIT: Stupid emoticons.

Edited by TurionAltec

Yeah a real pain.

If you just keep "working out" out the battery, battery bring it down and back up.

Then your using up your number of cycles before it starts to die just like leaving it at 100%

Taking it out is the best solution but what a pain in tha a**.

I bought the extended battery for my laptop so at least at 40% my battery is almost the same life as the standard battery.