Vista animated progress bar is slow

Today while working on something I found that the Vista animated progress bar is rather slow to update. I had my window close as soon as the actual progress was 100% finished, but the bar itself was only about 80% filled. I ran a couple tests and found it at least 600 milliseconds behind which created a clearly visible lag.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

What about doing a Sleep(1) to give it a chance to update?

ProgressSet($I) ; Do some GUI update here.
Sleep(1) ; Millisecond delay will give the display a chance to refresh, without putting a huge delay, nor huge demand on the processor.
Edited by Nutster
speeling mistake

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

Sleep of one millisecond isn't long enough, as I said I counted up to 600 milliseconds before it finished updating. (Also, I'm not writing in AutoIt. That's why it's in this forum not AutoIt support.)

The problem is that I wanted the progress bar to indicate when the window would close. So it was supposed to line up exactly.

I ended up using a different indicator for the closing time. It's owner drawn but I think my way is a little more interesting too.

Edited by Richard Robertson

• 3 months later...

I've found that anything using a loop is slow in Win 7.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

What program doesn't use a loop?

I was refering in particular to Compiled AutoIt Scripts. One of my scripts has a series of nested loops and it will never be fast on any machine at any time but if I run it against a very large script in XP it takes probably 10 seconds to complete. It takes at least 50% longer in Win 7 when run against the same script. And no I can't give you exact figures at the moment. I still have to reinstall both of those OSs so I'm relegated to Vista at the moment and I won't even look at running it in Vista.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

The only thing that should be slower is GUI related stuff. Anything else and it's a bug.

That could be related Jon. It's the progress bar that I'm looking at but it fills a treeview after it completes the function and that still happens after the progress gets to 100%. I've been accusing MS for it as usual. You know the story, if it's slow, tedious, feature rich or downright annoying then it's written by MS. Someday there will be a viable alternative.

George