Decompile - still possible with 3rd party tools???

wentworth

I was under the impression that you could only decompile scripts from version 3.2.5 and older

unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I was stumbling around the internet and found something that claimed it could decompile any autoit version, I have tried it on a script I wrote & compiled with 3.3.0.0 and it worked like a charm.

I'd rather not post the link to the tool here or mention its name, but if mods think it's ok I can easily prove this. It took my exe -> made it into an au3 and I can clearly see every line of my code.

am I doing something wrong? I don't know much about hash encryptions , md5 etc... but should I be setting some sort of a hash key within my script or is it all automated?

the "decompiler" shows the steps it's going through , it finds the hash , it then figures out the password and keeps on going. It's even capable of de-obfuscating the code (supposedly).

so what can I do to prevent this?

Edited by wentworth

You can't do anything to prevent this. Your script and the interpreter are bundled in the executable of AutoIt. While it is not easy at all to extract the script, it is possible.

Please refrain from postings links or mentioning the name of the tool. The forum does not want to accommodate anyone breaking the AutoIt license terms (decompiling). I'm going to report this thread for now.

well here's the thing, it should be made clear that autoit scripts can EASILY be decompiled.

I read up on it prior to writing this script, I found multiple posts and mentions of it only being possible in 3.2.5 and earlier... and then what do you know, it turns out all the "facts" I found earlier were flat out wrong.

Don't take it as complaining from me, I love auto-it, but I hate security problems and I guess I was naive enough to believe that decompiling into easily-legible code was not possible. It just leads to a bit of disappointment , lol