Can this program be used in place of

Leiif

Hello,

Can this program be used in place of a macro recorder? I have several repetitive tasks that need to be done a lot. They are really fairly simple but the macro recorder my friend is using takes a lot of steps to get a simple task done. He has to try and use the mouse as little as possible as it seems to not find the same field in a webpage if the header changes size. In general what we are doing is opening a webpage (there will be quite a few) inserting a url in a search field then when that loads switching the url in the new search field. This will be repeated 3 to 21 times. When that is done we will switch the main page and repeat the process. Can this be accomplished with this program or do I need a recorder of some type?

Thanks,

Leiif

You can do it in the background using autoit without a click using the internet explorer functions! Thats the best way to do the job, just look in the helpfile at the examples and you should be able to work it out from there.

Mat

I use Firefox as my default browser. I looked at the simple tutorials. They were more about writing scripts. Is there a way to record say the first 3 steps and then edit the script by copying and pasting? I have used iMacro and it was O.K. but I want to make this more automated and be able to pick a line out of a file to place in the search field. Not sure where to start or how to get going with this. Using a recorder was just a matter of clicking record and then going through some steps then opening the file and copy/paste to make it do all the steps.

Best regards,

Leiif

For this you don't need recorder.

Just look at IE UDF (User Defined Functions/IE Management) in Autoit's helpfile.

Will do Zedna. Will it work with Firefox?

Thanks,

Leiif

edit: I don't see an IE tab/folder. searching AutoIt/FunctionReference/User Defined Functions

shows:

User defined function notes

array managment

color "

date "

file "

inet "

math "

misc "

process "

string "

visa "

UDF History

Edited by Leiif

AutoIT is mainly scripting. There's the "Au3Recorder" tool, but it's fairly rudimentary, and only looks for matching window titles, and mousemoves and "Send()"s. The power in AutoIT is using functions like ControlClick, ControlSend, and the ability to do conditional logic, which allows for the creation of more robust and flexible scripts.

Using libraries like IE.au3, although perhaps a little overwhelming at first, is a lot more reliable than blindly sending stuff to the keyboard because you can get it to wait for a page to finish loading before continuing to the next step.

Will do Zedna. Will it work with Firefox?

Thanks,

Leiif

edit: I don't see an IE tab/folder. searching AutoIt/FunctionReference/User Defined Functions

shows:

User defined function notes

array managment

color "

date "

file "

inet "

math "

misc "

process "

string "

visa "

UDF History

I use Opera/Firefox as my default browser too but for automating tasks I use IE UDF (for Internet Explorer).

But there is also some UDF for Firefox on the forum so you may look at it.

Download/install latest Autoit version (3.3.0.0) and then open its helpfile: "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\AutoIt.chm"

and then go to section: User Defined Functions/IE Management

Edited by Zedna

I use Opera/Firefox as my default browser too but for automating tasks I use IE UDF (for Internet Explorer).

But there is also some UDF for Firefox on the forum so you may look at it.

Download/install latest Autoit version (3.3.0.0) and then open its helpfile: "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\AutoIt.chm"

and then go to section: User Defined Functions/IE Management

OK found the problem. part of it anyway. I downloaded from tucows and it is version 3.1 . Will get the latest then go from there.

No, you want the Firefox UDF if you are gonna work with Firefox.

OK I found the current program and installed it. I found the FF_UDF page. Now what? How do you "load" the FF_UDF? I copied and pasted it from the page and into a txt file and it shows as a au3. I did the 3 tutorials but don't seem to be able to wrap my head around this yet. I am going to need to build several "scripts" if that is what you call them, that act like "macros" (like a macro file from a macro recorder, i.e. jitbit or iMacro).

For the most basic I need to open a Browser or a tab and then open a url to a web-proxy page and insert a URL from a file then hit "surf" or "go", then insert a new URL in the new field and repeat, after 3 to 21 URLs from the location file I will need to open a new web-proxy site and start over. The URLs for the web-proxy sites will be in 1 file named "web-proxy file" and each URL will be on a separate line. Same for the URLs for the "location to surf to" file. Not all web-proxy sites are built the same so I need to be able to insert my URLs in the correct field on the different pages. A friend of mine has trouble with JitBit as it is using mouse coordinates and gets lost at times. iMacro doesn't have that trouble but it does not seem to be able to get a URL from say "line 3" of a file. It just copy and pastes what you tell it too and types the text. I can edit the text fine but it would be easier to just change 1 file when things need changing, and they do every week or 2.

So what next? Best suggestions?

Thanks,

Leiif

Edited by Leiif