SciTE - what is ctrl+shift+z doing?

LoWang

Hello, I have been pressing Ctrl+Z to undo some changes and I have done one press more, so I thought Ctrl+shift+Z works as redo and used it - unfortunatelly this is not Redo, but it places some SUB mark in the code instead :)

I wonder what it is. There is nothing about ctrl+shift+Z in the SciTE helpfile...

Dont fancy making another scite thread on the forum, lol

Can anyone tell me why, when I create a new file in scite (full editor) the script will not run from it.

There is no option available to run it and F5 key does nothing, all the tools are missing too as though, its the version that comes with autoit

The only way I can see the extended toolset and get script to run from it, is to create the "new autoit script" from some folder.

No biggy, just a little annoyance occaisionally.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

JohnOne,

If you start writing a new file in SciTE, you need to save it as a .au3 file before you can run it or use the tools.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

JohnOne, the next time I see you hijack a thread like this you'll be taking a vacation from the forum. Just because the thread happens to be about SciTE doesn't mean you are free to ask questions unrelated to the origonal poster's question.

I guess it was too much to click the link in my post, eh?

OK Is it such a big problem for you to say that you have no idea either? ;-)

I don't know any other editors doing something like this, so I was just wondering if this has any purpose in SciTE or it is there just because programmers did not handle this SUB character to have any meaning in SciTE.

Standard keyboards transmit this code when the Ctrl and Z keys are pressed simultaneously (Ctrl+Z). It is ctrl+shift+Z here so from this point of view it looks like some shortcut which was intended to be there :-\

I don't know any other editors doing something like this, so I was just wondering if this has any purpose in SciTE or it is there just because programmers did not handle this SUB character to have any meaning in SciTE.

Standard keyboards transmit this code when the Ctrl and Z keys are pressed simultaneously (Ctrl+Z). It is ctrl+shift+Z here so from this point of view it looks like some shortcut which was intended to be there :-\

SciTE uses Ctrl+Z for it's UNDO operation, lika all editors do, so the SUB character had to be moved somewhere. SciTE show's all (most?) characters so I don't understand why you are thinking so much about this SUB. It's just one character out of many that exist but that you don't normally write.

Listen you dumbass, stop looking for some deep theological meaning or some bullshit that simply doesn't exist. What does Ctrl+Shift+z do? It inserts the SUB character. Why does it do it? Because the author of SciTE decided to provide a way to insert control characters. THE THREAD ENDS HERE. Or at least it should have. But no, you have to ignore the Wikipedia links and continue to pester and annoy and insinuate people don't know what they are talking about. You're searching for some deeper meaning when the meaning is really simple: It inserts the fucking SUB character. Why do we keep linking to Wikipedia? Because it explains what control characters are and what the SUB control character is specifically. But no, that's not good enough for you?

Fucking moron.

The thing is that a lot of editors uses ctrl+shift+Z as REDO function, so I wondered why SciTE writes SUB after pressing this instead. OK thanks for something understandable finally. I just tested whole keyboard in SciTE and found out there are several other interesting characters you can write using ctrl+shift+W,Z,H,G,D,A,Y,X,C and N. Have anybody seen these in any other editor? I did not :-) That's all.

Valik omg please calm down! I wasn't rude at you! I just don't like when I ask something and you don't add any information besides the same link to wikipedia which was already here! Apparently it was not enough for my understanding so I hoped for some more eplanation. That's all thanks guys.

Edited by LoWang

Valik omg please calm down! I wasn't rude at you! I just don't like when I ask something and you don't add any information besides the same link to wikipedia which was already here! That's all thanks guys.

And I don't like when people ask a question, get an answer and then ask the same fucking question over and over and over. Your question was answered in post 3. It was expanded on slightly in post 5. We're now at something like 17 post and this thread isn't dead yet.

• 3 weeks later...

This issue has annoyed me for a long time, but tonight I figured out the answer. Here it is for everyone else who likes the easy redo instead of the SUB. (Wtf is SUB? Maybe Valik can explain?) :)

How to make the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Z commit a REDO in SciTE and Sc1

• Create a file "SciTEGlobal.properties" in the directory with the executable, (i.e. C:\Program Files\Sc1\ )
  • Add this to the file:

# This is wonderful

user.shortcuts=\

Ctrl+Shift+Z|IDM_REDO|

• Sc1 must be closed and reopened for this to take affect.

Notes:

• I use the standalone executable Sc1, but it appears this will also work for the installed version.
  • If you already have the SciTEGlobal.properties file, then you might need to check to see if the user.shortcuts section already exists, then add the shortcut appropriately.

• Developers

This issue has annoyed me for a long time, but tonight I figured out the answer. Here it is for everyone else who likes the easy redo instead of the SUB. (Wtf is SUB? Maybe Valik can explain?) :)

How to make the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Z commit a REDO in SciTE and Sc1

• Create a file "SciTEGlobal.properties" in the directory with the executable, (i.e. C:\Program Files\Sc1\ )
  • Add this to the file:

# This is wonderful

user.shortcuts=\

Ctrl+Shift+Z|IDM_REDO|

• Sc1 must be closed and reopened for this to take affect.

Notes:

• I use the standalone executable Sc1, but it appears this will also work for the installed version.
  • If you already have the SciTEGlobal.properties file, then you might need to check to see if the user.shortcuts section already exists, then add the shortcut appropriately.
Any user modifications should be made in SciTEUser.properties found under the Tools menu. just copy the current defaults from SciTEGlobal.properties to it and make you modifications. You will loose any changes with each new release If you make them in SciTEGlobal.properties.

Jos.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)