how can I send ascii text? Please help

These files are included with a standard AutoIt v3 installation.

AutoIt uses .au3 files... Are you sure you are looking for AutoIt help and not AutoHotkey help? :)

I am looking for autoit help.

I tried to figure this out a year ago and but never got autoit to paste the art graphics one line at a time. it was very frustrating. I then tried autohotkey around the same time and never had much success

I decided to try again a couple days ago and thought I would post this thread and see if it can be done.

I am still very confused about it all hence the mixup in file type I posted.

as a note i can trigger the autohotkey program to invoke a certain script simply by using the ::whateevertextyouwanttouse:: command

example

::---birthday::

send "Happy Birthday"

I was hoping autoit also had this function since I am able to paste ASCII as at the start of this thread. I have been searching the help file and tutorials for a similar command function but have come to realize it does not exist in the simplest form. exhausted

Manadar when I pasted your script into a .au3 file and ran it it just left an icon in the taskbar and i couldn't make out any instructions in the thread on what to do next so I hit a brickwall.

@Malkey thanks for that script. That is another cool way to do things. I still don't know how I could trigger the artwork script by using ---birthday in realtime.

Sorry everyone for the confusion and troubles.

Manadar when I pasted your script into a .au3 file and ran it it just left an icon in the taskbar and i couldn't make out any instructions in the thread on what to do next so I hit a brickwall.

I was hoping this

HotStringSet("CallMe","examplefunction")

While 1
    Sleep(10)
WEnd

Func examplefunction()
    MsgBox(0,"","lolwat!")
EndFunc

would be self explanatory, following the simple example of the native AutoIt function

HotKeySet ; Click for documentation

Just type callme and you should get a messagebox ..

I was hoping this

HotStringSet("CallMe","examplefunction")

While 1
    Sleep(10)
WEnd

Func examplefunction()
    MsgBox(0,"","lolwat!")
EndFunc

would be self explanatory, following the simple example of the native AutoIt function

HotKeySet ; Click for documentation

Just type callme and you should get a messagebox ..

ahh the hotstringset is the text to trigger the function? That is the tip I needed to help me get things in motion. Very much appreciated. I think my hair is growing back heh.

I got this error when running the script above. I will spend a few hours tomorrow after work. Thanks again for helping me. Much appreciated.

post-53514-12554307089172_thumb.jpg

Ofcourse you need to include the library I wrote somewhere.....

Or you can run the example from the topic. I just said that the bit I posted was what matters and that it's self explanatory.

I got it running using your script from the library post.

Thanks so much. I have a very good idea now what I need to learn more about

thanks again!

hmm... just searched the autoit help file for "hotstringset" and searched the wiki for "hotstringset" and found zero results :)

I would have never knew about this in the documentation.

I also found out that "---birthday" does not work while "birthday" does which cause an endless loop due to birthday hehe...

Is there a charter map posted somewhere that shows valid hotstringset input characters?

Cheers

That's all because it's a library that I wrote. AutoIt v3 documentation only documents functions in AutoIt v3, which my library is not part of. The Wiki is mostly incomplete. The forum is the real resource you should be using..

That being said, the library is written for people with a basic AutoIt v3 skill. I expect anyone that wants to work with this library to have a decent debugging and programming skill, and not just clever copy pasting abilities.

Maybe a programming language isn't what you should have found when you were looking for a macro tool..

That's all because it's a library that I wrote. AutoIt v3 documentation only documents functions in AutoIt v3, which my library is not part of. The Wiki is mostly incomplete. The forum is the real resource you should be using..

That being said, the library is written for people with a basic AutoIt v3 skill. I expect anyone that wants to work with this library to have a decent debugging and programming skill, and not just clever copy pasting abilities.

Maybe a programming language isn't what you should have found when you were looking for a macro tool..

You are correct

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to help me out and to Manadar for creating the hotkey script. It is really what I was looking for and i am thankful you responded to my post and for the link to your script.

Cheers