Reading from additional Vista/Win7 Event Logs

idbirch

I'm having trouble reading from the extra event logs found in Vista and particularly, Windows 7, I want to parse the boot performace information from the "Applications and Services Logs" section (Microsoft -> Windows -> Diagnostics-Performace) but _EventLog__Open keeps just reverting to the standard Application log. Here's what I thought would work:

#include <EventLog.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

$hEventLog = _EventLog__Open ("", "Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational")

While 1
    $arrEvt = _EventLog__Read($hEventLog, True, False)
    _ArrayDisplay($arrEvt)
WEnd

But this just starts reeling off stuff from the Application log. I tried just "Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" as well with the same result. Is this supposed to work or not currently supported?

I'm having trouble reading from the extra event logs found in Vista and particularly, Windows 7, I want to parse the boot performace information from the "Applications and Services Logs" section (Microsoft -> Windows -> Diagnostics-Performace) but _EventLog__Open keeps just reverting to the standard Application log. Here's what I thought would work:

#include <EventLog.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

$hEventLog = _EventLog__Open ("", "Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational")

While 1
    _ArrayDisplay($arrEvt)
WEnd

But this just starts reeling off stuff from the Application log. I tried just "Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" as well with the same result. Is this supposed to work or not currently supported?

Are you using 64-bit?

That's the default behavior of the Windows 32-bit API being used (advapi32.dll, "OpenEventLogA"). Quoting MSDN:

lpSourceName [in]

The name of the log.

If you specify a custom log and it cannot be found, the event logging service opens the Application log; however, there will be no associated message or category string file.

The only thing that stands out is that there is an "OpenEventLogW" in the 32-bit, and you might try it with that.

A lazy Google check didn't turn up a different API for 64-bit, but smarter people may know better.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I'm on 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise (RTM). Yes, I saw in the AutoIt help file that the function will go for Application if the log specified can't be found but how can I get the AutoIt function to find the log? Or how do I get it to use the alternate function OpenEventLogW you mention?

I'm on 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise (RTM). Yes, I saw in the AutoIt help file that the function will go for Application if the log specified can't be found but how can I get the AutoIt function to find the log? Or how do I get it to use the alternate function OpenEventLogW you mention?

Edit the function inside your copy of the UDF.

Or better, copy/paste it as a function in your script, change the name and edit it there.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Would be really interested in this - have nearly same problem

i want to get events out of "Microsoft-Windows-Backup" , it does not depend if i try it on 32 or 64 bit, it always shows me events from the "normal" application log

das beste Windows Support Forum: Windows 2000 Helpline und tschüss den WindowsfehlernProgrammieren: Autoit 3 - wer braucht noch VBS ?!Programmieren: Autoit 3 Forum?

There is already a (still open) feature request in Trac: #2119

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

In the meantime, you can always use the wevtutil.exe built into Windows7. Something like this (just pulled a log at random):

wevtutil.exe qe "OAlerts"

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 3 years later...
On 10/13/2009 at 10:32 PM, idbirch said:

#include <EventLog.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

While 1
    _ArrayDisplay($arrEvt)
WEnd

anyone know if the problem fixed? that I found the ticket was closed (#2119), however, it seems the problem is still not getting resolved.