Remote Control with VNC

Bepo

I have run into situations where someone has called me with a computer problem that I can't just talk them through. It would be nice to have remote control of the PC so I could just fix it. I've tried netmeeting, remote desktop, VNC etc. They all either require me to talk the person through installation and configuration or they get blocked by the firewall they are using.

I have come up with a solution using AutoIT and VNC. Here is how it works, I compile the script to an exe and post it to my website. I configure my firewall to allow port 5500 through to my computer, and I then launch the VNC viewer in listen mode. I have the user on the other end download and run the compiled script, the only thing it asks for is my IP address which I tell them. Once they click OK a window opens on my end and I have control.

The script uses FileInstall to copy the two required VNC files to the other users hard drive so you will need those two files in the same folder as the script when you compile. The two files are WINVNC.EXE and VNCHOOKS.DLL. They are both included in the VNC package. I use TightVNC but I imagine most of the VNC's will work.

The script also sets the registry so that VNC doesn't pop up asking the user for passwords and configuration information. This is not really a security issue if the user is behind a firewall or you are sure to shut down VNC when you are through.

Finally, I don't have to trudge across town or spend an hour on the phone to fix the relatives computers. All for just 8 lines of code.

WVNC.au3

Edited by Bepo

You could also just post the correct IP on a website and have it download the new IP each time, so the user has to do _NOTHING_ :)

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

Good idea, I might look into doing something similar. My 1 suggestion would be to use @ProgramFilesDir instead of "C:\Program Files" just because I have a machine w/ Windows 2000/XP/2003 and my Program Files directory floats around to different drives.

Start -> Programs -> AutoIt v3 -> AutoIt Help File -> Index -> (The Function you are asking about)----- Links -----DllStruct UDFsRSA Crypto UDFs