Stringsplit

notsure

Hi, i'm trying to use the Stringsplit function. It looks like this;

local $AssignArray[7]
$assignarray = stringsplit($ircdata, " ")
if $assignarray[0] > 2 Then 
     tcpsend($remoteserver, $assignarray[1])
     exit           
EndIf               

$columnNames[7]=""

Dim $NewGuest[8]
$NewGuest[0]=""
$NewGuest[1]=$assignarray[1]
$NewGuest[2]=$assignarray[2]

I'm not sure how many times a "space" (split delimiter) will occur in the string i'm trying to split.

If its less than 2 the program crashes like this;

(230) : ==> Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:

$NewGuest[2]=$assignarray[2]

$NewGuest[2]=^ ERROR

I know thats coz the number [2] is not used in the array coz the occurence of a "space" is only once. Even if i try to avoid that piece of code with an "exit" fails. SCITE gives me an error before the code is even there?

Anyone how to make sure it doesn't crash this way?

Thanks in advance!

You already have the answer and used it with "if $assignarray[0] > 2 Then".

The stuff about $NewGuest needs to be inside that If/EndIf also, or you need to repeat that test around that part too.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

You already have the answer and used it with "if $assignarray[0] > 2 Then".

The stuff about $NewGuest needs to be inside that If/EndIf also, or you need to repeat that test around that part too.

Seems plausible but whats the reason why the code below does not give that error ?

#include<array.au3>
local $newguest[10]
local $ircdata = "hi i am a string"

$ircdata = stringsplit($ircdata," ")

$newguest[0]= $ircdata[0]
$newguest[1]= $ircdata[1]
$newguest[2]= $ircdata[2]
$newguest[3]= $ircdata[3]
$newguest[4]= $ircdata[4]
$newguest[5]= $ircdata[5]
exit
$newguest[6]= $ircdata[6]

It's the same idea but this code does not give the error becoz i "exit" first, but the other code where i also FIRST "exit" does give the error.

Im confused :S

Logical run-time errors are not posted while checking for syntactical correctness of your script but while executing the specific statement. Even though you are positive that the "if $assignarray[0] > 2 Then" condition is satisfied, the Exit statement should be executed for sure.

By the way, the return value of StringSplit() is an array type, you don't need to declare a variable is an array because it'll be so when the function returns.

...but the other code where i also FIRST "exit" does give the error.

You don't enter the IF clause because $assignarray[0] is not > 2, so the exit doesn't happen. Perhaps you meant to use:
If $assignarray[0] < 2 Then

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law