Add DNS server

Ejoc

So I don't see an easy way(it probably exists) to add a DNS server to my list of DNS servers.

Basicly my ISP blows and from time to time and their Name Servers go down, but everything else is fine. So I want to to use the Name Servers I get from DHCP, but I want to add a 3rd server so when my ISPs name servers go down it will have another one to goto.

Seems like I should be able to use netsh, but I cannot get it to work...

This does set it to use the DNS servers supplied via DHCP:

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp

But this removes the DHCP acquired servers and only gives me the one supplied, even tho I tell it to be the 3rd server:

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection" x.x.x.x index=3
Edited by Ejoc
Start -> Programs -> AutoIt v3 -> AutoIt Help File -> Index -> (The Function you are asking about)----- Links -----DllStruct UDFsRSA Crypto UDFs

But this removes the DHCP acquired servers and only gives me the one supplied, even tho I tell it to be the 3rd server:

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection" x.x.x.x index=3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't just take your word for it so I sorta temporarily screwed myself by trying that. :)

when you specify a DNS server it switches the the TCP/IP settings from "Obtain DNS..." to "Use the following..." and since there aren't any specified at that point, the index=3 becomes meaningless. My suggestion would be to hardcode your ISPs primary as your primary and whatever backup you want as secondary and just forget about it. Or if your're a masochist, read the primary and secondary before making the change and set all three when you make the change. But it seems to me that'd be rather pointless since the reason you're changing them is because they don't work anyway!

601DisengageEnd Program