Conversion from string to number.

Valik

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you expect?

• The expression Number("5abc") should return 0.
    • The expression Number("5abc") should return 5.

Or you could just hush and keep your opinions to yourself until you see what we actually do... in a few months.

I have developed a small game, and (co-) ran a small gaming community. The only thing the community did was 'offer suggestions', all the time, non-stop. It almost always came down to 'omhagawd please fix this'.

Just saying I know how this feels.

Edited by Manadar

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd expect strings that represent a valid number to be converted to that number and an error thrown by the conversion for all other strings.

So I'd expect '5abc' to be not converted at all, neither 5 nor 0, i.e. both options don't make sense for me.

<ot>

Here's what I'm currently doing to get there:

Local $i = 0, $asResult[3] = ['hex', 'NaN', 'dec']
Local $asTest = StringSplit('-123.45e+12|-.1|23.E-9|0.|+.0|  12|001 || |0xfedcba98|-|2l0|10O0|12,345.67|9e|e8|7-6|+ 5|4.3.21|9 8|7+e6|5e4.3|2f1|1.2e-', '|')
Local $sRxNaDec = '(?i)[^-+.e\d\s]|\..*\.|e.*[^-+\d]|\A[^-+.\d\s]|[^.\d\s]\z|[^\A\s]\s[^\z\s]|[^e\A\s][-+]'
Local $sRxIsHex = '(?i)\A0x[\da-f]{1,8}\z'
For $i = 1 To $asTest[0]
    ConsoleWrite(StringFormat('%15s  %s', $asTest[$i], $asResult[2 - StringRegExp($asTest[$i], $sRxIsHex) - StringRegExp($asTest[$i], $sRxNaDec)]) & '   ''Number(…)'' = ' & Number($asTest[$i]) & @crlf)
Next
The degree of permissiveness is certainly subject to dicussion. (And in the above I don't allow thousand seperators, because I'd do so only after processing the locale settings as well.)

</ot>

Edited by memoryoverflow

(The signature is placed on the back of this page to not disturb the flow of the thread.)