Folder Contents

penn1

I'm not a programmer. I use AutoIT to automate tasks using HotKeySet mainly. Occassionally, I'll have a while or for loop.

We have an application that occassionally needs some cache folders deleted. I'm trying to create a little script that will:

Display the folder contents,

User clicks OK

Remove the directories,

Re-display the folder contents so the user sees that they have been removed,

User clicks something to exit the script.

I'm OK on everything but the display of the directory items [/u(In each directory, the contents will be a max of three folders, not a long list of files).

I'm searching the examples and help files and this forum, but haven't stumbled on the correct thing yet. I did find a script that will show each file individually, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Global $s_CRLF = @CRLF
Global $g_eventerror = 0 ; to be checked to know if com error occurs. Must be reset after handling.
$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "MyErrFunc") ; Install a custom error handler

_DeleteFiles("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp")

; The function _DeleteFiles() deletes files from given directory
; ==================================================================================================
Func _DeleteFiles($s_Directory)

; Create a FileSystemObject
    Local $o_FileSystem = ObjCreate("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Local $o_Folder = $o_FileSystem.GetFolder($s_Directory)
    Local $o_Files = $o_Folder.Files
    Local $s_FileNames

; Put all file names into a string variable to display
    For $o_Item In $o_Files
        $s_FileNames &= $o_Item.name & $s_CRLF
    Next

; Display the msgbox
    $i_ReturnValue = MsgBox(36, "Delete Files?", "You entered the directory:" & $s_CRLF & $s_CRLF & $s_Directory & $s_CRLF & $s_CRLF & "It contains the followig files: " & $s_CRLF & $s_FileNames & $s_CRLF & "Do you want to delete these files?")
    If $i_ReturnValue = 6 Then
        For $o_Item In $o_Files
            ; delete the files
            $o_FileSystem.deletefile($o_Item)
            If $g_eventerror Then MsgBox(48, "Error.", $o_Item.name & $s_CRLF & $s_CRLF & "...could not be deleted." & $s_CRLF & $s_CRLF & "Maybe it's in use by some application?")
        Next
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf

EndFunc   ;==>_DeleteFiles

; A custom error handler
; ==================================================================================================
Func MyErrFunc()
    $h_HexNumber = Hex($oMyError.number, 8)
    $g_eventerror = 1 ; something to check for when this function returns
EndFunc   ;==>MyErrFunc

Thanks so much. This gets me much further down the road. I do have to ask if there is a way to adjust it though.

To delete the cache, I have to remove folders, not files. I have been able to successfully use the DirRemove() command for the folder removal, but that doesn't let me show the user which folders are about to be deleted. Is there an o_Folders.Folders type command I could sub in place of the o_Folders.Files line?

Is that an easy adjustment?

As I said earlier, I'm most appreciative of the help, and I am researching solutions too.

Thanks

I have to remove folders, not files.

[...]

Is there an o_Folders.Folders type command I could sub in place of the o_Folders.Files line?

Yes, there is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9kcx47hd%28VS.85%29.aspx

So you could create a function that similarly checks for folders and returns a folder objects collection (currently we return a file objects collection). You could then cycle that collection and feed the _DeleteFiles() function with the found subfolder names. Last you need to delete the folders, which you could do either using AutoIt's function DirRemove() or call the folder object's .Delete method, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0k4wket3%28VS.85%29.aspx.

Another way would be to just get folder and file object collections and do all the rest using AutoIt's functions DirRemove() and FileDelete().

The changes are quite easy (in my opinion).

Regards,

Chris

Edited by cherdeg

Hi,

this is the modified code from cherdeg (thanks for the starting point) for deletion of all Subfolders beneath a given path:

Global $s_CRLF = @CRLF
Global $g_eventerror = 0 ; to be checked to know if com error occurs. Must be reset after handling.
$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "MyErrFunc") ; Install a custom error handler

_DeleteFolders("C:\Test")

; The function _DeleteFolders() deletes subfolders from given directory
Func _DeleteFolders($s_Directory)

; Create a FileSystemObject
    Local $o_FileSystem = ObjCreate("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Local $o_Folder = $o_FileSystem.GetFolder($s_Directory)
    Local $o_SubFolders = $o_Folder.SubFolders
    Local $s_FolderNames

; Put all file names into a string variable to display
    For $o_Item In $o_SubFolders
        $s_FolderNames &= $o_Item.name & $s_CRLF
    Next

; Display the msgbox
    $i_ReturnValue = MsgBox(36, "Delete Folders?", "You entered the directory:" & $s_CRLF & $s_CRLF & $s_Directory & $s_CRLF & $s_CRLF & "It contains the followig folders: " & $s_CRLF & $s_FolderNames & $s_CRLF & "Do you want to delete these folders?")
    If $i_ReturnValue = 6 Then
        For $o_Item In $o_SubFolders
            ; delete the folders
            $o_FileSystem.deletefolder ($o_Item)
            If $g_eventerror Then MsgBox(48, "Error.", $o_Item.name & $s_CRLF & $s_CRLF & "...could not be deleted." & $s_CRLF & $s_CRLF & "Maybe it's in use by some application?")
        Next
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf

EndFunc   ;==>_DeleteFolders

; A custom error handler
Func MyErrFunc()
    $h_HexNumber = Hex($oMyError.number, 8)
    $g_eventerror = 1 ; something to check for when this function returns
EndFunc   ;==>MyErrFunc
Edited by 99ojo