Autoit License allows commercial apps?

Mr5o1

Hi All,

Long story short, I've been using an autoit script (in various stages of evolution) to manage my work documents for a year or so. More and more of my co-workers have started using it, and recently my boss started using it. He has since offered to "buy a license" from me for each employee in his business.

I said no, because I'd assumed that even if I'd wanted to charge for the script, the autoit license wouldnt allow me to. I only know enough about software licensing to know that its incredibly complicated. In this instance, my script uses several udf's I've found here on this forum, and some of the one's bundled with the autoit installation, not to mention the autoit engine itself.

But just now (out of curiosity more than anything) read through the autoit license and it says something like:

Commercial Use. You may use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for commercial purposes. You may sell for profit and freely distribute scripts and/or compiled scripts that were created with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

So that to me reads that there's not really any restrictions made on the sale of scripts / compiled scripts??

I still find that a little hard to believe? AutoIt is free to download and use. I assume that hundreds of people have donated thousands of hours to put together something like AutoIt. Yet its completely kosher for an end-user like me to spend a few hours joining a few different snippets of code together and then sell it on for profit?

• Moderators

As long as you don't violate anything in the EULA, you'd be fine ( "kosher" ).

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

As SmOke_N said, perfectly legitimate usage. There is nothing stopping you from marketing your code withe the usual provisio of giving credit to those whose UDFs you used if you know who it is. Also there are a couple of options, if you sell the licenses, there is nothing stopping you from donating a portion of that to AutoIt at

http://www.autoitscript.com/donate.shtml

or if you don't sell it, there is nothing preventing your boss from donating.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I still find that a little hard to believe? AutoIt is free to download and use. I assume that hundreds of people have donated thousands of hours to put together something like AutoIt. Yet its completely kosher for an end-user like me to spend a few hours joining a few different snippets of code together and then sell it on for profit?

Just really nice guys. Really, nice, guys.

For all intents and purposes, Auto-It is now a full-fledged programming language.

There are millions of people worldwide creating applications/games and earning millions of dollars coding in the many programming languages out there. You don't see the C++ or Java creators asking for a piece of their pie just because they used their programming language. Anything you code belongs to you and you may do with it what you wish.

Having said that, donating to the auto-it team isn't a bad idea :)

[font="Impact"] I always thought dogs laid eggs, and I learned something today. [/font]