New SciTE4AutoIt3 available with SciTE v1.79

Jos

• Moderators

Jos,

If you can remember that far back, we once discussed the speed difference between AIWrapper directives and Reshacker when there were a lot of resources to add. It was you who convinced me to go down the .res file route for scripts that were compiled often, but kept the same resources each time.

But I will take the hint and have a look at the calls you make in AIWrapper. ;)

M23

P.S.

to use a RES file as this requires you to keep a RC file and "compile" that with rc.exe?

I just added the resources directly to a blank .res file using ResHacker - it seemed easier at the time! :evil:

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

Jos,

If you can remember that far back, we once discussed the speed difference between AIWrapper directives and Reshacker when there were a lot of resources to add. It was you who convinced me to go down the .res file route for scripts that were compiled often, but kept the same resources each time.

But I will take the hint and have a look at the calls you make in AIWrapper. ;)

M23

P.S.

I just added the resources directly to a blank .res file using ResHacker - it seemed easier at the time! :evil:

Of course I can't remember ... I am over 50 :evil:

Seriously, yes I do remember but am curious now you mention it if that is still the case that the speed difference is big.

I will also see what would be needed to import RES files just out of curiosity and when it's makes sense see if support can be added.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

Yes. I vote for adding this new option. It can be handy for example for forcing ultra-brute compression or skipping compression on some resources.

Ok, lets me think out load here:

The current commandline parameters are: --best --compress-icons=0 -qq

Assuming we add #AutoIt3Wrapper_UPX_Parameters then my proposal is to leave "--compress-icons=0" by default and add what is specified on the Directive.

Agree/Other thoughts?

Jos

ps: Yea, I use CFF Explorer already for a while also as frontend program to Reshacker.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Moderators

Jos,

In trying the speed test, I have discovered a problem with #AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add. :evil:

If you try to add a single icon, there is no problem:

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Description=AutoIt v3 Compiled Script
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Fileversion=0.0.0.0
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add=C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Icons\au3script_v9.ico
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
;#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add=C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Icons\au3script_v10.ico

and SciTE syas:

>"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /showgui /in "M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.au3"
+>14:55:07 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.1.6    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_VISTA/Service Pack 2  CPU:X64 OS:X86)
-> 1 Change(s) made.
>Running AU3Check (1.54.19.0)  from:C:\Program Files\AutoIt3
+>14:55:09 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.2.0):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\aut2exe\aut2exe.exe  /in "M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.au3" /out "M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.exe" /nopack /comp 2
+>14:55:11 Aut2exe.exe ended.rc:0
+> Updated Program Version information.
> Added Icon to the Output executable.
>14:55:13 Resource updating finished.
>Running:(3.3.0.0):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\aut2exe\upx.exe" --best --compress-icons=0 -qq "M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.exe"
    663611 ->    328763   49.54%    win32/pe     fred1.exe
+>14:55:18 UPX Ended: rc:0
+>14:55:18 Created program:M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.exe
->14:55:18 Warning: This is an Unicode compiled script and will not run on Win9x/ME.
+>14:55:19 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished..
>Exit code: 0    Time: 12.339

ResHacker confirms that the icon is installed.

However, if you try to add more than one icon at a time:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add=C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Icons\au3script_v9.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add=C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Icons\au3script_v10.ico

and SciTE says:

>"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /showgui /in "M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.au3"
+>14:54:36 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.1.6    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_VISTA/Service Pack 2  CPU:X64 OS:X86)
-> 1 Change(s) made.
+>14:54:37 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.2.0):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\aut2exe\aut2exe.exe  /in "M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.au3" /out "M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.exe" /nopack /comp 2
+>14:54:40 Aut2exe.exe ended.rc:0
+> Added 2 Icons to the Output executable resources.
EndUpdateResource: $result[0] = 0 - LastError:1359:An internal error occurred.
>14:54:41 Resource updating finished.
>Running:(3.3.0.0):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\aut2exe\upx.exe" --best --compress-icons=0 -qq "M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.exe"
    638822 ->    303462   47.50%    win32/pe     fred1.exe
+>14:54:46 UPX Ended: rc:0
+>14:54:46 Created program:M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.exe
->14:54:46 Warning: This is an Unicode compiled script and will not run on Win9x/ME.
+>14:54:46 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished..
>Exit code: 0    Time: 11.168

Neither icon is added according to ResHacker.

I have used AutoIt icons so that you can test with exactly the same ones, but I have run the script using many different icons on my system and the result is always the same - 1 icon = success; more than one = fail. :evil:

Are we in for another interesting afternoon? ;)

M23

Edit: It is lines 1058/9 that are causing and sending the error:

Global $result = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "EndUpdateResourceW", "ptr", $rh, "int", 0)
If $result[0] <> 1 Then ConsoleWrite('EndUpdateResource: $result[0] = ' & $result[0] & " - LastError:" & _WinAPI_GetLastError() & ":" & _WinAPI_GetLastErrorMessage())

but you probably knew that anyway. :idea:

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Developers

mmm.. works fine on my PC but get the known error for the second ICO since that has a 256x256 ico inside.

I do think I have see this when and think the file was inuse at the time. it just went away the second time I tried.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Moderators

Jos,

It also errors when I try with these 2:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add=M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\BMP\Icons\BMP_Play_0.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add=M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\BMP\Icons\BMP_Pause_0.ico

+>15:25:19 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.1.6    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_VISTA/Service Pack 2  CPU:X64 OS:X86)
-> 1 Change(s) made.
+>15:25:21 AU3Check ended.rc:0
+>15:25:24 Aut2exe.exe ended.rc:0
+> Added 2 Icons to the Output executable resources.
>15:25:25 Resource updating finished.
    638842 ->    303482   47.51%    win32/pe     fred1.exe
+>15:25:29 UPX Ended: rc:0
+>15:25:29 Created program:M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.exe
->15:25:29 Warning: This is an Unicode compiled script and will not run on Win9x/ME.
+>15:25:29 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished..
>Exit code: 0    Time: 11.393

And the icons are attached.

Does it work for you now?

M23

Spoiler

• Developers

Works like a charm. I am testing it from my local harddisk.

Is your M: a Lan disk or Local Disk?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Moderators

Jos,

M: is a partition on my internal hard drive. I have just been trying it with the icons in the same folder as the script and it still failed. Could it be a Vista thing?

M23

Spoiler

• Developers

Jos,

M: is a partition on my internal hard drive. I have just been trying it with the icons in the same folder as the script and it still failed. Could it be a Vista thing?

M23

Don't know, I am using WinXP sp3.

Could you try to switch off your AV for the directory to ensure that is not causing it?

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

@Melba23

If you have a realtime Antivirus scanner running, try disabling it while compiling. Some AV's like to interfere during the resource addition process and cause this kind of failure. I've had to retry compilation on my laptop several times with my AV enabled before it will work. Disabling my AV usually gets it on the first try. And this is with a good AV like NOD32, so if you're using a free one like Avira or AVG that likes to eat up AutoIt scripts, it could be even worse.

BTW, EndUpdateResource is only called once at the end of the process. Each resource update is 'queued' with the calls to UpdateResource, and they are all added at once at the end. I believe that parameter verification is done by the API during the UpdateResource calls, so it is very unlikely that EndUpdateResource should fail without some external interferance.

• Developers

BTW, EndUpdateResource is only called once at the end of the process. Each resource update is 'queued' with the calls to UpdateResource, and they are all added at once at the end. I believe that parameter verification is done by the API during the UpdateResource calls, so it is very unlikely that EndUpdateResource should fail without some external interferance.

Not sure if it would help but we could have the script try it 2-3 times in case of error with a little sleep in between?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I think once it's failed, it's done for. Just like if UpdateResource fails anywhere along the line, all resource additions fail. Melba23 could try it out though just to be sure...

Also, I just noticed we stripped out the '/x86' commandline support for X64 systems somehow. I'm adding it back and will post the code changes shortly.

Edited by wraithdu

I just found something... an x64 version of AutoIt3Wrapper is required to update resources on x64 compiled scripts, and vice versa for 32-bit compiled scripts. How do you to handle this? You could distribute two versions of AI3Wrapper, then early in the process have it detect what version it is and what it is compiling, then conditionally relaunch the correct version of the wrapper.

EDIT:

Correction, it fails on certain resource additions, not all. I'm trying to find out which exactly.

Edited by wraithdu

• Moderators

Jos & wraithdu,

No luck with the antivirus (AVG) and antimalware (Comodo Defense+) switched off.

But I have also tried rerunning the scripts I was testing yesterday loading all types of resource and they now fail with the same message. And they ran with the AV, etc all up and running yesterday. Now I have not changed anything that I am aware of. I have downloaded the AIW .exe again - same size and version... ;)

And I did try rebooting... :evil:

Everything works perfectly if there is only ONE resource - as soon as you try and add more than one, regardless if it is of the same type or not, the error pops up. If there are several resource types, the error does appear several times - I have no idea if that is of any significance:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=image3.jpg, RT_RCDATA, TEST_JPG_3, 0
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=test_1.txt, RT_RCDATA, TEST_TXT_1, 0
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=image1.bmp, RT_BITMAP, TEST_BMP_1, 0
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=binary1.dat, RT_RCDATA, TEST_BIN_1, 0
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav, sound, TEST_WAV_1, 0

produces:

+>16:27:39 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.1.6    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_VISTA/Service Pack 2  CPU:X64 OS:X86)
-> 1 Change(s) made.
+>16:27:43 AU3Check ended.rc:0
+>16:27:44 Aut2exe.exe ended.rc:0
UpdateResources other: $result[0] = 0 - LastError:1359:An internal error occurred.
UpdateResources other: $result[0] = 0 - LastError:1359:An internal error occurred.
+> Adding 5 files to the Output executable resources.
>16:27:44 Resource updating finished.
+>16:27:44 Created program:M:\Program\Au3 Scripts\fred1.exe
->16:27:44 Warning: This is an Unicode compiled script and will not run on Win9x/ME.
+>16:27:44 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished..
>Exit code: 0    Time: 5.839

Perhaps I will just wait until tomorrow and see if works then! :evil:

M23

Spoiler

Not sure what's going on. I do know that all resource updates will fail after ONE SINGLE failure (since they are queued). Have you tried with different resources? Maybe you have one bad file in there, or it's locked by another program or something?

Oh, and I figured out the x86/x64 thing. The resources update OK, it was an array error on my part of the fallback if enumerating resources fails... which it does when cross compiling (x86 app with x64 AI3Wrapper) because the wrapper cannot call LoadLibrary on the target EXE to enumerate the resources. I fixed the array error, so it will just gracefully fallback to the defaults.

I do recommend now though, that you should distribute both an x86 and x64 version of AI3Wrapper. By default AI3Wrapper still compiles x86 EXEs on an x64 platform.

Ok, lets me think out load here:

The current commandline parameters are: --best --compress-icons=0 -qq

Assuming we add #AutoIt3Wrapper_UPX_Parameters then my proposal is to leave "--compress-icons=0" by default and add what is specified on the Directive.

Agree/Other thoughts?

I disagree.

"--compress-icons=0" by default is OK but when user put his #AutoIt3Wrapper_UPX_Parameters then it should be taken without that default value.

For example: When user wants "--compress-icons=1" or "--compress-icons=2"

@Jos

Ok, to re-enable x86 compilation on x64 systems and vice versa, add the following around line 880:

; Set the proper compile option
; Set the CUI / GUI
If $INP_Change2CUI = "y" Then $s_CMDLine &= " /Console"
; add flag to make x86 EXEs on x64 systems
If $INP_UseX64 = "n" And StringInStr($AUT2EXE_PGM, "aut2exe_x64.exe") Then $s_CMDLine &= " /x86"
; add flag to make x64 EXEs on x86 systems
If $INP_UseX64 = "y" And StringInStr($AUT2EXE_PGM, "aut2exe.exe") Then $s_CMDLine &= " /x64"

And to fix my array error, change the following around line 917:

; get version info and manifest names and language ids in target file
Global $aVersionInfo, $aManifestInfo, $aTemp
If Not _EnumResourceNamesAndLangs($ScriptFile_Out, 16) Then ; RT_VERSION
    ; error, use default
    Dim $aVersionInfo[2][2] = [[1, 0], [1, 2057]]
Else
    $aVersionInfo = $g_aResNamesAndLangs
EndIf
If Not _EnumResourceNamesAndLangs($ScriptFile_Out, 24) Then ; RT_MANIFEST
    ; error, use default
    Dim $aManifestInfo[2][2] = [[1, 0], [1, 1033]]
Else
    $aManifestInfo = $g_aResNamesAndLangs
EndIf
Edited by wraithdu

• Developers

Oh, and I figured out the x86/x64 thing. The resources update OK, it was an array error on my part of the fallback if enumerating resources fails... which it does when cross compiling (x86 app with x64 AI3Wrapper) because the wrapper cannot call LoadLibrary on the target EXE to enumerate the resources. I fixed the array error, so it will just gracefully fallback to the defaults.

is this a change in the autoit3wrapper code I need to update?

I do recommend now though, that you should distribute both an x86 and x64 version of AI3Wrapper. By default AI3Wrapper still compiles x86 EXEs on an x64 platform.

Not sure why this is needed, before we changed things around I had tests in the section that copied the BIN file which tested for an X64 systems and would then default to the X64 BIN file. We should be able to do the same by supplying the proper parameter on the aut2exe commandline. right?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.