IE page load speed anomaly . How to force _IENavigate to bypass cache

Jdop

I found that loading a certain web page for the first time was lightning fast, but a REFRESH was 10x slower.

I duplicated this behavior in IE version 8.

I see no reason for this, but there it is.

Now I need to find a way to force a refresh of the web page, without using the refresh command. In other words, to make sure a cache copy is not used. the _IENavigate command is what I need to use instead of _IEAction($oIE, "Refresh")

Here's a url that you can use to see this problem.

http://www.trade-ideas.com/SingleAlertType/CA50/Crossed_above_50_day_moving_average.html

That should load quickly the first time. Then press F5 to refresh and you'll see the problem (watch the status bar on the lower left).

Seems quite odd and bugified on the part if IE that RELOADING the same url would be 10x slower then the initial load. We're talking 1 second vs 5 or 6 seconds. It should be the other way around. Try that link I gave and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Does anyone know WHY this is occurring?

Edited by Jdop

page not found. use DebugBar and click on the HTTP(S) tab to see details of loading.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Somehow the case of one letter gets bungled if I simply paste the url. Whats the problem here? Same thing using the insert link in the editor, bugs everywhere it seems

the term "SingleAlertType" should have the A in Alert uppercase, but this stinking editor keeps lowercasing it. Not going to waste any more time with it.

Edited by Jdop

URLs on your server are case sensitive... The working URL is...

http://tinyurl.com/cv8eqc

Edit:

AutoIt strips the URL of the capital A for some reason, so I made a TinyURL-redirect for you... :)

Anyway, I just tested on my poor connection...

First Load: 7 seconds

Refresh: 7 seconds

It appears as your first load is indeed loading from cache, so normal/refresh page loads should take a full 7 seconds on connections like mine, and longer load times if your on anything below a 3Mbps connection.

Not to mention your webpage is a full 600KB! That's not too bad for a direct download, but your site has some sort of external script, documented in the video below, that is causes some serious lag time, and using several connections.

http://www.screencast.com/users/BinaryBrother/folders/Default/media/b10015a2-f136-4a3b-b298-0dc2c1d40af1

The primary reason for slow load time on that page, is an external script/page of some sort...

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/32596437/?&site=32596437&cmd=mTagKnockPage&lpCallId=956397015009-9784755730&protV=20&lpjson=1&id=9093874379&javaSupport=true&visitorStatus=INSITE_STATUS

The secondary reason could be followed by the fact that your page is 600KB and requires several connections, hundreds maybe. ;)

Edited by BinaryBrother

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

Thanks for your effort. Just a quick note, the first load is not from my cache, as you can select any of the dozens of NEW scans available on the page and they load very fast first time. I have a fast Fios connection.

As for the script , I'm not sure thats the problem, but Ill look at it.

I have a mediocre work around, I set IE to not use cache and call _IENavigate($oIE, $Url1, 0 ) , the 0 returns to the script immediately, and I sleep for a few seconds to allow loading. Seems to work better than waiting for the full load.

I looked at your screencast. First of all, you're using Firefox. FF does not seem to have this problem. Load that link in IE and see how it struggles on the refresh (watch the status on the lower left). Looks like the parsing of the table is hanging it up. FF wins again.

Since I'm forced to use the IE code within Auto it, FF can't help me here. My workaround seems to be doing ok with a 3 second pause.

You seemed to have missed my suggestion to use DebugBar to diagnose the http load times... it will take the mystery out this for you.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

I did use IE for the speed tests, which took 7 seconds, both on first page load and a refresh. I only loaded FireFox to get load times from FireBug. To find out exactly what is causing slow speeds. Follow Dale's suggestion and use DebugBar for IE, which reminds me a little of FireBug... But since your using IE, it would be a more ideal solution. ;)

Sorry for the confusion... x.x

http://www.debugbar.com/ (Found in Dale's signature) :)

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

All you are doing is whining.

Use the tools that were suggested to you and stop posting here until you have done some homework.

Dale

All you are doing is whining.

Use the tools that were suggested to you and stop posting here until you have done some homework.

Dale

Nah, I'll let you do it for me since you can't seem to understand plain English. Have a nice day.

While you're at it, why not fix that nasty bug that modifies links and changes case.

Edited by Jdop