searching a .txt file

I writing a code that will search .txt log files for a failure the report those failures to the windows event logs.

My sudo code looks like this

Open file (C:\Logs\@year @month @day)

while open

read contents if the word fail is found run system event error

if not contents = fail then run system event success

exit loop

My code looks like this so far

$SystemEventError='eventcreate /T Error /ID 1000 /L APPLICATION /SO "failed" /D "logs failed"'
$SystemEventSuccess='eventcreate /T Information /ID 1001 /L APPLICATION /SO "success" /D "success"'

IF FileExists ("C:\Logs\@YEAR @MON @MDAY.txt") Run FileOpen ("C:\Logs\@YEAR @MON @MDAY.txt")
While
;this is were I'm lost
   If   FileRead = fail then Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & $SystemEventError, "")
   If not FileRead = fail then Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & $SystemEventSuccess, "")
EndIf

Any help filling in the pieces of the puzzle would be much appreciated

Edited by scubasteve1281

That code is totally messed up.

Start with this.

$SystemEventError='eventcreate /T Error /ID 1000 /L APPLICATION /SO "failed" /D "logs failed"'
$SystemEventSuccess='eventcreate /T Information /ID 1001 /L APPLICATION /SO "success" /D "success"'
$sFile = "C:\Logs\" & @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & ".txt") 

;;IF FileExists ("C:\Logs\@YEAR @MON @MDAY.txt") Run FileOpen ("C:\Logs\@YEAR @MON @MDAY.txt")
If FileExists($sFile) Then
    Local $sStr = FileRead($sFile)
    If StringInStr($sStr, "failed") Then
        ;;Do Something here and remove the MsgBox() below
        MsgBox(0, "Result", "Failed")
    Else
        MsgBox(0, "Result", "No Failure")
    EndIf
EndIf

Now if you want to read it line by line we have a method for that too. I'm just trying to get this fixed one stage at a time so you can understand it.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Thanks guys I got it to work sorta I ran into a problem with the file name.

The name of the file is based on the current year,month,time.txt and is created from a cmd output and will look like this 20091109.txt

I can have AUTOIT try and open the latest file based on the current system date time or I can have the the initial file spit out a generic name like log.txt and have AUTOIT rename to a current time stamp. are either of these possible and which is easier.

$SystemEventError='eventcreate /T Error /ID 1000 /L APPLICATION /SO "File Integrity Checker" /D "System scan error check the system scan log file located in the C:\Log file"'
$SystemEventSuccess='eventcreate /T Information /ID 999 /L APPLICATION /SO "File Integrity Checker" /D "System scan completed with no errors"'
$sFile = "C:\Logs" & @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & ".txt"

If StringInStr($sStr, "fail") Then
        Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & $SystemEventError, "")
    Else
        Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & $SystemEventSuccess, "")
    EndIf
EndIf
Edited by scubasteve1281

Thanks guys I got it to work sorta I ran into a problem with the file name.

The name of the file is based on the current year,month,time.txt and is created from a cmd output and will look like this 20091109.txt

I can have AUTOIT try and open the latest file based on the current system date time or I can have the the initial file spit out a generic name like log.txt and have AUTOIT rename to a current time stamp. are either of these possible and which is easier.

$SystemEventError='eventcreate /T Error /ID 1000 /L APPLICATION /SO "File Integrity Checker" /D "System scan error check the system scan log file located in the C:\Log file"'
$SystemEventSuccess='eventcreate /T Information /ID 999 /L APPLICATION /SO "File Integrity Checker" /D "System scan completed with no errors"'
$sFile = "C:\Logs" & @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & ".txt"

If StringInStr($sStr, "fail") Then
        Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & $SystemEventError, "")
    Else
        Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & $SystemEventSuccess, "")
    EndIf
EndIf

If I were you, I'd use AutoIt period even to create the log. Try using _FileWriteToLog() and you can have AutoIt create the log using the date everytime you need it to. So maybe write your event info in the AutoIt log. Edited by EndFunc
EndFuncAutoIt is the shiznit. I love it.