IniReadSectionNames odd behavior

Akton

I was testing IniReadSectionNames

and started by using the example from the manual

$var = IniReadSectionNames(@WindowsDir & "\win.ini")
If @error Then 
    MsgBox(4096, "", "Error occurred, probably no INI file.")
Else
    For $i = 1 To $var[0]
        MsgBox(4096, "", $var[$i])
    Next
EndIf

But it returns sections which are NOT in the win.ini files? (Things like "Aedebug" or "Colors")

I checked the path, which was C:\windows\win.ini opened it in an editor and the headers i checked weren't in the file.

Then i tried copying the win.ini file from windows to c:\ and changed the test to read it from there - and THEN it showed the section names in the win.ini file??

Why is that? Is that a bug or something I don't know about?

I was testing IniReadSectionNames

and started by using the example from the manual

$var = IniReadSectionNames(@WindowsDir & "\win.ini")
If @error Then 
    MsgBox(4096, "", "Error occurred, probably no INI file.")
Else
    For $i = 1 To $var[0]
        MsgBox(4096, "", $var[$i])
    Next
EndIf

But it returns sections which are NOT in the win.ini files? (Things like "Aedebug" or "Colors")

I checked the path, which was C:\windows\win.ini opened it in an editor and the headers i checked weren't in the file.

Then i tried copying the win.ini file from windows to c:\ and changed the test to read it from there - and THEN it showed the section names in the win.ini file??

Why is that? Is that a bug or something I don't know about?

"

Starting with NT based versions of Windows, OS ini files were remapped to the registry, which is also where the "Aedebug" and other values that aren't in the actual ini file are coming from. You can find the remappings in the registry at

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping"

API calls (including those used by AutoIt's Ini functions) to read and write OS ini files are redirected to the registry.

Moving or changing the name of the OS ini files causes them to be seen as regular ini files so no registry redirect occurs when reading/writing them.

More info here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722567.aspx

and here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102889

"

Starting with NT based versions of Windows, OS ini files were remapped to the registry, which is also where the "Aedebug" and other values that aren't in the actual ini file are coming from. You can find the remappings in the registry at

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping"

Ahh. Good explanation ResNullius - perhaps that should be included in the help file so as not to confuse others :)