Upload/Download Meter

Beege

Always wanted to write a script that tells you your Upload and Download speed for all your network cards, and thanks to Yashied's recent example, it became possible (Thanks again Yashied!). Please drop me a line if you see something wrong or have some ideas I could add to it. This is written to work with 3.3.2.0. Thanks for Looking. :)

Gui:

post-8949-12579626413315_thumb.jpg

Tray Icons:

post-8949-1258930309446_thumb.jpg

Network Meter.zip

(Previous Downloads:310)

Edits:

Updated 12-31-09. Found and fixed problem where incorrect speed values were being returned in Vista/7.

Updated 11-22-09. Added Tray icons for upload/download indicators.

Updated 11-19-09. Made some minor tweaks and changed fixed bug with missing wireless adaptors in Vista/7.

Edited by Beege

Nice, but there is one problem. I tested it in Vista, and ... not work. My internet traffic goes through the Wi-Fi adapter (3Com) and Vista defines it as MIB_IF_TYPE_IEEE80211. In XP everything works well. Moreover, you combine the traffic from all adapters of a given type (if I'm not mistaken) which is not good. Try to play around in Vista with my example, using a variety of $MIB_IF_TYPE_... constants. You'll be amazed.

:)

Yashied, Thanks for letting me know about the bug. Im still running XP but will be going to windows 7 soon. Where did you find the values for all the $MIB_IF_TYPE constants? Ive been looking around MSDN IP helper section and can't find them. Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind constants question.

Edited by Beege

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments guys. I just got windows 7 installed on my computer and as far as I can tell, this is NOT working. The values are all wrong. I am pretty sure its because some of the dll functions are not compatible with vista/7, but I'm not positive. I am looking into using the new functions written for vista and should hopefully be able to get something working soon..

Thanks for the comments guys. I just got windows 7 installed on my computer and as far as I can tell, this is NOT working. The values are all wrong. I am pretty sure its because some of the dll functions are not compatible with vista/7, but I'm not positive. I am looking into using the new functions written for vista and should hopefully be able to get something working soon..

I cannot wait for a win 7 compatible version. keep up the good work

0x616e2069646561206973206c696b652061206d616e20776974686f7574206120626f64792c20746f206669676874206f6e6520697320746f206e657665722077696e2e2e2e2e

Ok I figured out why I was getting incorrect speed values in Vista/7. It was not the dll function like I originally thought but how vista shows a lot more interfaces than xp does. For example, my PC has 2 network cards. A regular LAN card and a Wireless Card. Under XP, the dll function 'GetNumberOfInterfaces' returns the number 2, but under Vista/7 I get a large number of 27 ;) .

So in short the IFTABLE had a bunch of interfaces that I didn't need or want and my script was counting values multiple times. I changed it so that if the interface does not have a MAC address or the MAC address has already been added to the IFTABLE, don't add it. Hopefully all works well but please let me know if you feel its not working right.

Brilliant software! Thanks a lot!

I was waiting for this for years because I'm using PowerPro as main shell instead of Explorer

and PowerPro doesn't have any service to show network activity.

It would be perfect to add more frequent blinkin to both uload/download parts of icon in hided state in tray.

And to show amount of kB/sec on mouse hover.

Edited by Leagnus

Brilliant software! Thanks a lot!

I was waiting for this for years because I'm using PowerPro as main shell instead of Explorer

and PowerPro doesn't have any service to show network activity.

It would be perfect to add more frequent blinkin to both uload/download parts of icon in hided state in tray.

And to show amount of kB/sec on mouse hover.

Thankyou, but Im not quite sure what you mean when you say "more frequent blinking". Right now it updates the values once per second and the tray icons depends on weather your uploading/downloading or not. Also it should show you the kB/sec on mouse hover ;) . Is that not working for you?

Oh ok. The mouse hover might be a compatibility problem with Powerpro. And just so were clear, its not suppost to blink. Whenever your speeds are 0 kB/sec, the tringle should be gray. Anything above that it should be a solid blue. Blinking could be a nice little effect though. Might play with that idea in the future. ;)

Edited by Beege

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my friend as an issue with W7 64 bits !!!

Do you have a solution please .

Nice software that i use all days on my xp sp3.

Thanks for this share

Are you going to wait until someone asks you what the issue is?

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Doesn't seem to give sensible figures for me. Eg reports about 100 times slower than other speed tests. This is assuming kB means kBytes, but if it means kbits then its 1000 times slower than reality.

I'm using XP SP3.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Just throwing this out there as an alternative :) :