Match patterns

Lupo73

I'm trying to create a function that check if a string (as a file name) match with a particular pattern defined by the user.

At the moment I used this simply couple of lines:

$pattern = StringReplace($str, "*", "(.*?)")

$match = StringRegExp($item, $pattern)

$match results 1 if strings match and 0 otherwise. It works fine, but now I have found a problem: if for example is $str = "*.txt" the StringRegExp function return 1 for both $item = "item.txt" and $item = "item.txt.zip" (and so even if it doesn't correctly match).

Instead I need that if is "*.txt*" it is correct that both match (because the check is made with "(.*?).txt(.*?)"), but if there isn't the second asterisk, the match may return 0. How can I resolve this issue?

Thanks!

SFTPEx, AutoCompleteInput_DateTimeStandard(), _ImageWriteResize()_GUIGraduallyHide(): some AutoIt functions.

Lupo PenSuite: all-in-one and completely free selection of portable programs and games.

DropIt: a personal assistant to automatically manage your files.

ArcThemALL!: application to multi-archive your files and folders.

Use anchors.

$pattern = StringReplace($str, "*", "(.*?)") & "$"
$match = StringRegExp($item, $pattern)

...so it matches only at the end of the string, or "\b" to match at a word boundary. Or maybe something more restrictive, "(?i)[^a-z0-9_.]", etc..

On the other side, .*? can match easily file names such as ".txt" and "..txt" but it's something else.

Edited by Authenticity

It works fine, but now I need to do the same if the pattern is for example something*.*

In this case I can't add $ at the pattern beginning, but it works wrongly because both "something2.zip" and "2something.zip" match fine (but the second string may not match).

Sorry, but the pattern system is a little complex (for example adding $ to limit the checking is not reported in Help). What I need is to make a normal pattern checking, that allow extra characters only under * and not also at the begin or the end of a string. Thanks for the help :)

SFTPEx, AutoCompleteInput_DateTimeStandard(), _ImageWriteResize()_GUIGraduallyHide(): some AutoIt functions.

Lupo PenSuite: all-in-one and completely free selection of portable programs and games.

According to the help file "$" matches at the end of the string and "^" matches at the beginning of the string.

(?i)(\b\w+\.[[:alnum:]]+\b

Edit: Correction in the SRE

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Good, this solution seems to work fine:

$match = StringRegExp($item, "^" & $pattern & "$")

What is the purpose of this string you have wrote?

Good, this solution seems to work fine:

$match = StringRegExp($item, "^" & $pattern & "$")

What is the purpose of this string you have wrote?

(?i) = Case-insensitive

\b = match at word boundary

\w+ = match any word characters (a-z0-9_) one or more times

\. = match a literal "."

[[:alnum:]]+ = match any alpha-numeric (a-z0-9) characters 1 or more times

\b = match at word boundary

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Uhm.. and I could use it instead of the actual mode? Can you insert it in my example? Thanks :)