_StringBetween - Determine the variables for the function by Searching

guinness

I normally find what I am looking for by searching the forum! But this is driving me crazy! At the moment I am using the script which will search the Source Code between 2 Strings "(and AutoItX) v" and " released" to display the Version number. What I am trying to determine is how I could I select the words around "3.0.0.0"?

E.G. in Pseudo Code

- I search the Source Code for 3.0.0.0

- I then take 3.0.0.0 and find the left and right words wrapping it or before it reaches a <SPACE>

If it has been posted before and you know the forum URL or search terms that would helpful. I have been using "StringBetween Reverse", "StringLeft -1", "StringRight -1", "StringBetween Choose Tags", "StringBetween", "Search Word And Words Around" - only a few I have used.

#include <INet.au3>

Global $Updated
$Current_Version = "2.0.0.0"

Update()

Func Update()
   $Update_Source = _INetGetSource("http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/")
   If @error Then
      MsgBox(0, "Error", "No Connection To The Internet.")
   Else
      $Online_Version = StringStripWS(_StringBetween2($Update_Source, "(and AutoItX) v", " released"), 8)
      If @error Or StringIsAlpha($Online_Version) = 1 Then ;If The String Is Not Numerical Show An Error. This Is If The SourceCode Changes And The Tags Have Changed.
         MsgBox(0, "Error", "Failed To Retrieve Version Number.")
         Return $Updated = False
      Else
         Sleep(50)
         If $Online_Version > $Current_Version Then
            MsgBox(0, "Update", "New Version Number Available. It Is Now " & $Online_Version)
            Exit
         Else
            MsgBox(0, "Update", "This Is The Latest Version. It Is " & $Online_Version)
            Return $Updated = False
         EndIf
      EndIf
   EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Update

; Found At http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89554&view=findpost&p=643708
Func _StringBetween2($Source, $From, $To)
   $X = StringInStr($Source, $From) + StringLen($From)
   $Y = StringInStr(StringTrimLeft($Source, $X), $To)
   Return StringMid($Source, $X, $Y)
EndFunc   ;==>_StringBetweenTwo

Thanks! - guiness

Edited by GuiNesS

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

AutoIt already offers this function. Please have a look at AutoUpdateIt.au3 in <Your program folder>\AutoIt3\Extras\AutoUpdateIt

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

AutoIt already offers this function. Please have a look at AutoUpdateIt.au3 in <Your program folder>\AutoIt3\Extras\AutoUpdateIt

Hi Water,

Thanks for that but that was just an example for people to test, I am not creating an AutoIT Downloader. The same code would apply to any site that you want to show any changes to a certain word or number. The example you gave I see relies on a .dat/.ini file to be hosted on the developers site, which isn't always the case. I am more interested in taking a number and then finding the words that wrap around it.

E.G. This is a Word I am interested in.

So I search the Source Code/File for 'Word' and then display $Begin = "This is a " and $End = " I am interested in." so I can then use in _StringBetween2($Update_Source, $Begin, $End).

Thanks g.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

• Moderators

GuiNesS,

I think this does what you are looking for:

#include <Array.au3>
#Include <String.au3>

$sText = "This is a Word I am interested in"
$sKey = "Word"

$aArray = StringSplit($sText, $sKey, 1)

_ArrayDisplay($aArray)

$sNewText = "This is a New Word I am interested in"

$aNewKey = _StringBetween($sNewText, $aArray[1], $aArray[2])

MsgBox(0, "Key", $aNewKey[0])

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

If you're only looking for one word to the left and right each.

#include <Array.au3>
Global $s_data = "Some words before 3.0.0.0 after it"
Global $s_find = "3.0.0.0"
Global $a_sre = StringRegExp($s_data, "(\w+)\h+" & $s_find & "\h+(\w+)", 1)

_ArrayDisplay($a_sre)

Edit:

Here is another method with a few choices. I didn't test the _GetBeforeAfter() function much, you may need to debug on your own:

#include <Array.au3>
Global $s_data = "A lot of text before phrase.  Some words before 3.0.0.0 after it."
Global $s_strip = StringRegExpReplace($s_data, "(?s)(.*?(?:[[:punct:]]|\s)*)([\w\h]+" & $s_find & "[\w+\h]+)((?:\z|[[:punct:]].*?\z|\s.*?\z))", "$2")

; If you want the whole phrase you can stop here:
MsgBox(64, "Info: Stripped data", $s_strip)

; Here we can get all the words, but we won't know what is before or after
Global $a_words_jumbled = StringRegExp(StringRegExpReplace($s_strip, "\h*" & $s_find & "\h*", " "), "(\w+)(?:\z|\h|[[:punct:]])*", 3)

_ArrayDisplay($a_words_jumbled)

; If you want to separate before words and after words into two different arrays, you could something like
Global $a_words_separated = StringRegExp($s_strip, "(" & $s_find & "|\w+)(?:\z|\h|[[:punct:]])*", 3)
Global $a_before_find[1], $a_after_find[1]

_GetBeforeAfter($a_words_separated, $s_find, $a_before_find, $a_after_find)

If IsArray($a_before_find) Then
    _ArrayDisplay($a_before_find, "Before find")
Else
    MsgBox(64, "Info", "No before words")
EndIf

If IsArray($a_after_find) Then
    _ArrayDisplay($a_after_find, "After find")
Else
    MsgBox(64, "Info", "No after words")
EndIf

Func _GetBeforeAfter($a_sre, $s_find, ByRef $a_before, ByRef $a_after)
    ReDim $a_before[UBound($a_sre)]
    ReDim $a_after[UBound($a_sre)]

Local $i_before = 0, $i_after = 0, $i_found
    Local $i_ubound = UBound($a_sre) - 1

For $i = 0 To $i_ubound
        If $a_sre[$i] = $s_find Then
            If $i = 0 Then $a_before = ""
            $i_found = $i + 1
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $a_before[$i_before] = $a_sre[$i]
        $i_before += 1
    Next

If $i_found >= $i_ubound Then
        ReDim $a_before[$i_before + 1]
        $a_after = ""
        Return
    EndIf

For $i = $i_found To $i_ubound
        $a_after[$i_after] = $a_sre[$i]
        $i_after += 1
    Next

If IsArray($a_before) Then
        ReDim $a_before[$i_before]
    EndIf

ReDim $a_after[$i_after]

Return
EndFunc
Edited by SmOke_N
code tags

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Dear Melba23 & SmOke_N

Thanks very much for your Examples something to look through. I think the one which best suits my needs is SmOke_N's final example. I have tweaked the original by adding _ArrayToString so I can then use in the _StringBetween function. I also did another search and came across an Old Thread in which you (SmOke_N) touched on _StringBetween. I didn't mention that StringRegExp is not my strongest point so I will be sitting down and reading this tonight :).

One final question I have on the below code is at the moment the expression is limited to Letters and Numbers how would I go about including HTML Syntax and taking the Before text even if it ends with a punctuation mark? E.G. <> & A lot of text before phrase. Some words before. 3.0.0.0 after it.

I want to create enough data because if I have "The version is: " & "Number" it might appear more than once in the data (ChangeLog page for example).

I thought it might be this for including HTML syntax? But it didn't work.

Global $s_strip = StringRegExpReplace($s_data, "(?s)(.*?(?:[[:punct:]]|\s)*)([.*\h]+" & $s_find & "[.*+\h]+)((?:\z|[[:punct:]].*?\z|\s.*?\z))", "$2")
Global $a_words_separated = StringRegExp($s_strip, "(" & $s_find & "|.*+)(?:\z|\h|[[:punct:]])*", 3)

#include <Array.au3>
Global $s_data = "A lot of text before phrase. Some words before 3.0.0.0 after it."
Global $s_strip = StringRegExpReplace($s_data, "(?s)(.*?(?:[[:punct:]]|\s)*)([\w\h]+" & $s_find & "[\w+\h]+)((?:\z|[[:punct:]].*?\z|\s.*?\z))", "$2")

; If you want to separate before words and after words into two different arrays, you could something like
Global $a_words_separated = StringRegExp($s_strip, "(" & $s_find & "|\w+)(?:\z|\h|[[:punct:]])*", 3)

If IsArray($a_before_find) Then
    ;_ArrayDisplay($a_before_find, "Before find")
    MsgBox(64, "Info", _ArrayToString($a_before_find, " "))
Else
    MsgBox(64, "Info", "No before words")
EndIf

If IsArray($a_after_find) Then
    ;_ArrayDisplay($a_after_find, "After find")
    MsgBox(64, "Info", _ArrayToString($a_after_find, " "))
Else
    MsgBox(64, "Info", "No after words")
EndIf

For $i = 0 To $i_ubound
            $i_found = $i + 1
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $i_before += 1
    Next

$a_after = ""
        Return
    EndIf

$i_after += 1
    Next

EndIf

ReDim $a_after[$i_after]

Return
EndFunc   ;==>_GetBeforeAfter

I thought this project would be easy, maybe this is the one that got away this time!!

Thanks. g.

Edited by GuiNesS

UDF List:

• Moderators

I think it would be much easier and less time consuming ( for you and those willing to help ), if you'd provide an actual html.txt/url, and an "exact" String/Array of what you would hope the output to be from that html.txt/url.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Okay example sites:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

3.5.5 is between "firefox/" and "/"

http://www.softperfect.com/products/lspro/

8.4.1 is between "<p> " and " "

The intention is for the user to enter the current version number of the software, then search the source code for the corresponding number and select the outer words that wrap the version number. An update can be initiated by the user to check any changes to the version number by using _StringBetween() and the outer words. The example you provided works flawlessly but if HTML syntax is before or after it will fail to provide the outer words.

Thanks. g.

UDF List:

• Moderators

Okay example sites:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

3.5.5 is between "firefox/" and "/"

http://www.softperfect.com/products/lspro/

8.4.1 is between "<p> " and " "

The intention is for the user to enter the current version number of the software, then search the source code for the corresponding number and select the outer words that wrap the version number. An update can be initiated by the user to check any changes to the version number by using _StringBetween() and the outer words. The example you provided works flawlessly but if HTML syntax is before or after it will fail to provide the outer words.

Thanks. g.

And the expected string result for each of those url examples is?

I have a posted an example of the Input Parametres and Output Results.

Thanks. g.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <INet.au3>
Global $a_before_find, $a_after_find

_OuterStrip("http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/", "3.3.0.0")
MsgBox(64, "Actual Result", '"' & $a_before_find & '"' & ' and ' & '"' & $a_after_find & '"' & '.')
MsgBox(64, "Expected Result", '"v"' & ' and ' & '" released"' & '.')

_OuterStrip("http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html", "3.5.5")
MsgBox(64, "Actual Result", '"' & $a_before_find & '"' & ' and ' & '"' & $a_after_find & '"' & '.')
MsgBox(64, "Expected Result", '"firefox/"' & ' and ' & '"/"')

_OuterStrip("http://www.softperfect.com/products/lspro/", " 8.4.1") ;If the there is no space before the 8 it will result in an Error.
MsgBox(64, "Expected Result", '"<p> "' & ' and ' & '"<SINGLE SPACE>"')

Func _OuterStrip($s_dataURL, $s_find)
    $s_data = _INetGetSource($s_dataURL)
    $s_strip = StringRegExpReplace($s_data, "(?s)(.*?(?:[[:punct:]]|\s)*)([\w\h]+" & $s_find & "[\w+\h]+)((?:\z|[[:punct:]].*?\z|\s.*?\z))", "$2")

If IsArray($a_before_find) Then $a_before_find = _ArrayToString($a_before_find, " ")
    If IsArray($a_after_find) Then $a_after_find = _ArrayToString($a_after_find, " ")
EndFunc   ;==>_OuterStrip

; Function created by SmOke_N

For $i = 0 To $i_ubound
            $i_found = $i + 1
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $i_before += 1
    Next

$a_after = ""
        Return
    EndIf

$i_after += 1
    Next

EndIf

ReDim $a_after[$i_after]

Return
EndFunc   ;==>_GetBeforeAfter

UDF List:

• Moderators

String manipulation has to have a "specific" set of rules. What you're asking to receive is going to need specific rules for each site to get the absolute desired output.

With the Firefox url as an example, there are like 5 or 6 specific 3.5.5 text values, and you're only wanting one specific value with no set of rules you've placed.

_StringBetween() ( You saw comments on it from me because I wrote it ) ... But, I'm not sure where this even comes into play with wanting to find the words before and after.

So now after my ramble, I think you'll see I'm totally confused on what exactly you're trying to do, and how you would expect to limit the text you received before and after to something specific with no set rules for each of the sites.

If this doesn't do it, then you're on your own or at the mercy of the other forum members:

#include <Inet.au3>
Global $a_word_before[1], $a_char_after[1]

_GetGeneral("http://www.softperfect.com/products/lspro/", " 8.4.1", $a_word_before, $a_char_after)

MsgBox(64, "Info", "Before Characters:" & @CRLF & $a_word_before[0] & @CRLF & @CRLF & "After Character:" & @CRLF & $a_char_after[0])

Func _GetGeneral($s_url, $s_find, ByRef $a_before, ByRef $a_after)
    Local $s_html = _INetGetSource($s_url)
    Local $s_pattern = "\v.*?(\W?\w+\W?)\Q" & $s_find & "\E([\W\w]).*?(?:\z|\v)"
    Local $a_data = StringRegExp($s_html, $s_pattern, 3)
    If @error Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

Local $i_ubound = UBound($a_data)
    ReDim $a_before[1]
    $a_before[0] = $a_data[$i_ubound - 2]

ReDim $a_after[1]
    $a_after[0] = $a_data[$i_ubound - 1]

Return 1
EndFunc
Edited by SmOke_N

Thanks for the example code this is a great basis to start and good example for someone who requires practical examples of StringRegExp. At the moment I am designing a software monitoring program, which monitors any website (users decision) by verifying differences to the version number in the database file and on the website. At the moment the user has to manually select the outer tags/text of where the version number is located on the site, hence why I require _StringBetween() because I then run a function which compares the number on site to the version saved in their database file (see basic example in first post) so I was curious of how to automatically select the outer tags/text. I did try and search for a StringLeft that instead of goes left to right works from right to left (not StringRight) e.g.

StringLeft(StringInStr("<title>Version 1.00</title>", "1.00"), -8) would result in "Version " or something along those lines.

Milestones I will have to overcome as you have mentioned is more than one instance of the version number and expanding the outer tags, especially if <p> is next to the version number!

Thanks. g.

Edited by GuiNesS

UDF List:

• Moderators

Sounds more like you need an AI for what you're trying to accomplish in the long run.

Version updates/differences could be anywhere in the html or no where.

And to base the outer text on the users knowledge of how html works is an insane project lol, I can see the email requests for help now!

I believe you mentioned before that you thought this would be "simple", I see no "simple" method to obtain a true consistent flow of data return.