Gui, Gadget, Docking question

The main tasks to dock your GUI as a gadget is to use SystemParametersInfo with SPI_SETWORKAREA so maximizing another window won't be big as the entire screen hiding your gadget (or the taskbar for that matter). The rest is docking your window and disable it's default dragging support, title bar, etc..

Edit: Example:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>

Global Const $SPI_SETWORKAREA = 47
Global Const $SPI_GETWORKAREA = 48

Local $tRcWA = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)
_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_GETWORKAREA, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tRcWA))

Local $iWidth = DllStructGetData($tRcWA, "Right")-DllStructGetData($tRcWA, "Left")
Local $iHeight = DllStructGetData($tRcWA, "Bottom")-DllStructGetData($tRcWA, "Top")
Local $hGUI = GUICreate("", 120, $iHeight, 0, 0, $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
GUISetBkColor(0x101050)
WinSetTrans($hGUI, 0, 170)

Local $tRcNewWA = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)
DllStructSetData($tRcNewWA, 1, 120)
For $i = 2 To 4
    DllStructSetData($tRcNewWA, $i, DllStructGetData($tRcWA, $i))
Next
_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_SETWORKAREA, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tRcNewWA), 2) ; SPIF_SENDCHANGE

GUISetState()
Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

GUIDelete()
Exit

Func OnAutoItExit()
    _WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_SETWORKAREA, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tRcWA), 2) ; SPIF_SENDCHANGE
EndFunc
Edited by Authenticity

Been there. Thats a whole new Windows docking system. Im just trying to write a add-on.

If you want a "sidebar" then I recommend the Appbar UDF (that's the method used in Franks Gadget), but if you want to build a gadget for Windows Sidebar you need to learn HTML, Javascript and shit. Guide here. Edited by AdmiralAlkex

• 1 month later...

The main tasks to dock your GUI as a gadget is to use SystemParametersInfo with SPI_SETWORKAREA so maximizing another window won't be big as the entire screen hiding your gadget (or the taskbar for that matter). The rest is docking your window and disable it's default dragging support, title bar, etc..

Edit: Example:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>

Global Const $SPI_SETWORKAREA = 47
Global Const $SPI_GETWORKAREA = 48

Local $tRcWA = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)
_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_GETWORKAREA, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tRcWA))

Local $iWidth = DllStructGetData($tRcWA, "Right")-DllStructGetData($tRcWA, "Left")
Local $iHeight = DllStructGetData($tRcWA, "Bottom")-DllStructGetData($tRcWA, "Top")
Local $hGUI = GUICreate("", 120, $iHeight, 0, 0, $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
GUISetBkColor(0x101050)
WinSetTrans($hGUI, 0, 170)

Local $tRcNewWA = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)
DllStructSetData($tRcNewWA, 1, 120)
For $i = 2 To 4
    DllStructSetData($tRcNewWA, $i, DllStructGetData($tRcWA, $i))
Next
_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_SETWORKAREA, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tRcNewWA), 2) ; SPIF_SENDCHANGE

GUISetState()
Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

GUIDelete()
Exit

Func OnAutoItExit()
    _WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_SETWORKAREA, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tRcWA), 2) ; SPIF_SENDCHANGE
EndFunc

Bravo, nice bit of example code there. Quick question, how does one get back the part of the desktop that the dock reserves. I had to force close it as it killed itself on my win7, and now that side of my desktop (left side) is kinda well empty, looks cool lol, but um, i'd like that space back :D

-_-------__--_-_-____---_-_--_-__-__-_ ^^€ñ†®øÞÿ ë×阮§ wï†høµ† ƒë@®, wï†høµ† †ïmë, @ñd wï†høµ† @ †ïmïdï†ÿ ƒø® !ïƒë. €×阮 ñø†, bµ† ïñ§†ë@d wï†hïñ, ñ@ÿ, †h®øµghøµ† †hë 맧ëñ§ë øƒ !ïƒë.