Find out which executable is associated with an icon in the notification area

A quick update : I just ran the example script in the post and it deleted ALL the notification area icons!

I have 9 icons in the area, all of which are visible and the example script gives me this output:

Count visible tray:  9
index:  8   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
index:  7   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
index:  6   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
index:  5   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
index:  4   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
index:  3   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
index:  2   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
index:  1   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
index:  0   visible:  -3    handle:  -3 pid:  -1    proc:       title:  0       tooltip:  -3
>Exit code: 0    Time: 0.312

This means that _SysTrayIconHandle fails, and I think that _SysTrayGetButtonInfo is failing.

Right away, off the top of my head, I think that ReadProcessMemory etc is failing as I don't have Admin privileges/debug rights.

Any clues?

Edited by JavaAutomater

Change this in _SysTrayGetButtonInfo:

If @OSArch = "X86" Then
    $taglocalTBBUTTON = "int iBitmap;int idCommand;byte fsState;byte fsStyle;byte bReserved[2];dword_ptr dwData;int_ptr iString"
Else ; X64
    $taglocalTBBUTTON = "int iBitmap;int idCommand;byte fsState;byte fsStyle;byte bReserved[6];dword_ptr dwData;int_ptr iString"
EndIf

to:

If @OSArch = "X86" Then
    $taglocalTBBUTTON = "int iBitmap;int idCommand;byte fsState;byte fsStyle;byte bReserved[2];uint_ptr dwData;int_ptr iString"
Else ; X64
    $taglocalTBBUTTON = "int iBitmap;int idCommand;byte fsState;byte fsStyle;byte bReserved[6];uint_ptr dwData;int_ptr iString"
EndIf
Edited by Authenticity

I still have a problem.

After locating the icon, I want to right click on it ( to get the menu ) and se;ect an option in that menu.

Right now, I cannot get to spawn the menu at all using the following code "that should work":

#include "_SysTray.au3"
#include <Process.au3>

AutoItSetOption("MustDeclareVars", 1)
Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1) ; shows the current script line in the tray icon tip to help debugging

Local $msgBoxTitle = "JA";

Local $count = _SysTrayIconCount()

ConsoleWrite("Count visible tray:  " & $count & @CRLF)

Local $i = 0;

For $i = $count - 1 To 0 Step -1

Local $handle = _SysTrayIconHandle( $i )
    Local $visible = _SysTrayIconVisible( $i )
    Local $pid = WinGetProcess( $handle )
    Local $name = _ProcessGetName( $pid )

Local $title = WinGetTitle( $handle )
    Local $tooltip = _SysTrayIconTooltip( $i )

If ("AutoIt3.exe" == $name) And ( $title == "AutoIt v3" ) Then

ConsoleWrite("index:  " & $i & @TAB & "visible:  " & $visible & @TAB & "handle:  " & $handle & @TAB & "pid:  " & $pid & @TAB & "proc:  " & $name & @TAB & @TAB & "title:  " & $title & @TAB & @TAB & "tooltip:  " & $tooltip & @CRLF)

; found the thing we are to close!
        TrayTip( $msgBoxTitle, "Located program successfully with tooltip '" & $tooltip & "'", 17, 1 )
        Sleep( 3500 )

If 0 == ControlClick( "", "", $handle, "menu" ) Then
        ;If 0 == ControlClick( "", "", $handle, "left", 1 ) Then
        ;If 0 == WinMenuSelectItem( $handle, "", "" ) Then

TrayTip( $msgBoxTitle, "Right click on button Failed!", 17, 2 )
            MsgBox(0, $msgBoxTitle, "Right click on button Failed!", 5)
            Sleep( 500 )
            Exit
        EndIf
    EndIf

;ConsoleWrite( @OSVersion );

;ConsoleWrite("index:  " & $i & @TAB & "visible:  " & $visible & @TAB & "handle:  " & $handle & @TAB & "pid:  " & $pid & @TAB & "proc:  " & $name & @TAB & @TAB & "title:  " & $title & @TAB & @TAB & "tooltip:  " & $tooltip & @CRLF)
Next

Sleep( 10000 )

The code sucessfully detects the icon, but cannot supposedly right/left click on it ?!

Edited by JavaAutomater

The $handle is not a control handle, it is the window handle of the process that owns the tray icon. It doesn't have anything you can click. You'll have to send a right-click at the coordinates of the icon to invoke the menu. Then maybe you can manipulate the menu to select the option you want...not sure about that part, or send another mouse click.

You can also try this function to click the tray item, but I can't find the original topic where it came from.

;=========# _SysTray_ClickItem #======================================================
;
;Function Name:    _SysTray_ClickItem()
;Description:      Click on item in Windows system tray by any substring in the title
;Parameters:       $iTitle - The title of the item in Windows system tray (you can see the title of the item when mouse cursor hovered on item).
;                  $iButton - [optional] The button to click, "left" or "right". Default is the left button.
;                  $iClick - [optional] The number of times to click the mouse. Default is 1
;                  $sMove = [optional] True = Mouse will be moved, False (default) = Mouse will not be moved
;                  $iSpeed = [optional] Mouse movement speed
;Return Value(s):  Success - Returns 1
;                  Failure - Returns 0 and sets @error to 1 if required item not found
;Requirement(s):   AutoIt 3.2.10.0 and above
;Autor(s):        R.Gilman (a.k.a rasim); Siao (Thanks for idea)
;
;====================================================================================
Func _SysTray_ClickItem($iTitle, $iButton = "left", $iClick = 1, $sMove = False, $iSpeed = 1)
    Local $hToolbar, $iButCount, $aRect, $hButton, $cID, $i

$hToolbar = ControlGetHandle("[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]", "", "[Class:ToolbarWindow32;Instance:1]")
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf

$iButCount = _GUICtrlToolbar_ButtonCount($hToolbar)
    If $iButCount = 0 Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf

$hButton = ControlGetHandle("[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]", "", "Button1")
    If $hButton <> "" Then ControlClick("[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]", "", "Button1")

For $i = 0 To $iButCount - 1
        $cID = _GUICtrlToolbar_IndexToCommand($hToolBar, $i)
        If StringInStr(_GUICtrlToolbar_GetButtonText($hToolBar, $cID), $iTitle) Then
            _GUICtrlToolbar_ClickButton($hToolbar, $cID, $iButton, $sMove, $iClick, $iSpeed)
            Return 1
        EndIf
    Next
    Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
EndFunc
Edited by wraithdu

This does not seem to work - script should bring up the AutoIt button menu, but does not.

Instead, it clicks on start button ( this happens VERY fast and you will not notice it unless you record the screen and play it back in slow motion )

Here is the test script:

#include "_SysTray.au3"
#include <Process.au3>

AutoItSetOption("MustDeclareVars", 1)
;Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1) ; shows the current script line in the tray icon tip to help debugging. We CANNOT use this in this script as we need the tooltip to stay constant

Local $msgBoxTitle = "JA";

Local $count = _SysTrayIconCount()

ConsoleWrite("Count visible tray:  " & $count & @CRLF)

Local $i = 0;

For $i = $count - 1 To 0 Step -1

Local $handle = _SysTrayIconHandle( $i )
    Local $visible = _SysTrayIconVisible( $i )
    Local $pid = WinGetProcess( $handle )
    Local $name = _ProcessGetName( $pid )

Local $title = WinGetTitle( $handle )
    Local $tooltip = _SysTrayIconTooltip( $i )

If ("AutoIt3.exe" == $name) And ( "AutoIt v3" == $title ) Then

ConsoleWrite("index:  " & $i & @TAB & "visible:  " & $visible & @TAB & "handle:  " & $handle & @TAB & "pid:  " & $pid & @TAB & "proc:  " & $name & @TAB & @TAB & "title:  " & $title & @TAB & @TAB & "tooltip:  " & $tooltip & @CRLF)

; found the thing we are to close!
        TrayTip( $msgBoxTitle, "Located program successfully with tooltip '" & $tooltip & "'", 17, 1 )
        Sleep( 10000 )

;If 1 <> _SysTray_ClickItem_( $tooltip, "left", 2 ) Then
        If 1 <> _SysTray_ClickItem_( $tooltip, "left", 1 ) Then ; Should bring up the button menu, but does not. Instead, it clicks on start button ( this happens VERY fast and you will not notice it unless you record the screen and play it back in slow motion )

TrayTip( $msgBoxTitle, "Left click on button Failed!", 17, 2 )
            MsgBox(0, $msgBoxTitle, "Left click on button Failed!" )
            Exit
        Else
            TrayTip( $msgBoxTitle, "Left click on button succeeded!", 17, 2 )
            MsgBox(0, $msgBoxTitle, "Left click on button succeeded!" )
        EndIf
    EndIf

;ConsoleWrite( @OSVersion );
    ;ConsoleWrite("index:  " & $i & @TAB & "visible:  " & $visible & @TAB & "handle:  " & $handle & @TAB & "pid:  " & $pid & @TAB & "proc:  " & $name & @TAB & @TAB & "title:  " & $title & @TAB & @TAB & "tooltip:  " & $tooltip & @CRLF)
Next

Sleep( 10000 )

#include <GuiToolBar.au3>
;http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63397 
;=========# _SysTray_ClickItem #======================================================
;
;Function Name:    _SysTray_ClickItem()
;Description:      Click on item in Windows system tray by any substring in the title
;Parameters:       $iTitle - The title of the item in Windows system tray (you can see the title of the item when mouse cursor hovered on item).
;                  $iButton - [optional] The button to click, "left" or "right". Default is the left button.
;                  $iClick - [optional] The number of times to click the mouse. Default is 1
;                  $sMove = [optional] True = Mouse will be moved, False (default) = Mouse will not be moved
;                  $iSpeed = [optional] Mouse movement speed
;Return Value(s):  Success - Returns 1
;                  Failure - Returns 0 and sets @error to 1 if required item not found
;Requirement(s):   AutoIt 3.2.10.0 and above
;Autor(s):        R.Gilman (a.k.a rasim); Siao (Thanks for idea)
;
;====================================================================================
Func _SysTray_ClickItem_($iTitle, $iButton = "left", $iClick = 1, $sMove = False, $iSpeed = 1)
    Local $i

Local $hToolbar = ControlGetHandle("[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]", "", "[Class:ToolbarWindow32;Instance:1]")
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf

Local $iButCount = _GUICtrlToolbar_ButtonCount($hToolbar)
    If $iButCount = 0 Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf

; FIXME : Why are we doing this?
    Local $hButton = ControlGetHandle( "[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]", "", "Button1" )
    If $hButton <> "" Then ControlClick( "[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]", "", "Button1" )

Local $ToolTips = "";

For $i = 0 To $iButCount - 1
        Local $cID = _GUICtrlToolbar_IndexToCommand($hToolBar, $i)

;$ToolTips &= _GUICtrlToolbar_GetButtonText($hToolBar, $cID) & @LF;
        $ToolTips &= _GUICtrlToolbar_GetButtonText($hToolBar, $cID) & "|";

If 0 <> StringInStr( _GUICtrlToolbar_GetButtonText( $hToolBar, $cID ), $iTitle ) Then

_GUICtrlToolbar_ClickButton( $hToolbar, $cID, $iButton, $sMove, $iClick, $iSpeed )
            ConsoleWrite( "Was looking for ( and found ) '" & $iTitle & "' in list : " & $ToolTips & @CRLF )
            Return 1
        EndIf
    Next

ConsoleWrite( "Was looking for ( but not got ) '" & $iTitle & "' in list : " & $ToolTips & @CRLF )
    MsgBox(0, $iTitle, $ToolTips );

Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
EndFunc

• 3 weeks later...