Automation with multiple desktops

Aditya

This post is somewhat related or rather inspired from:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30083&st=0&p=214878&hl=sanboxie&fromsearch=1&#entry214878

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105715&st=0&p=747033&#entry747033

If I have softwares like Sandboxie or other Virtual Desktop solutions installed, which can provide application instance isolation, how can I automate those applications from outside of that desktop? In most cases what these virtual desktop solutions do is to create another explorer.exe instance (which essentially gives you another desktop) & installed applications are allowed to run in that space.

Even though I have to no initial code to show for, I was just wondering how would you go about controlling applications from outside the desktop of interest. So if I have 2 desktops running with their own applications, how would I go about controlling applications in desktop 2 form desktop 1? Any suggestions.

Yeah, but you still have to launch the automation script (which will run in inside desktop) from the outside desktop. So my initial hang up was, can I launch an application or script inside desktop 1 from desktop 2. Wouldn't the process space be completely different?

Now that I think about it you can probably do some thing on these lines:

1) Create some sort of auto launch script, which would launch when the virtual desktop launches.

2) This script will create a PIPE that you can use to communicate with scripts on real desktop.

3) Send commands & response back & forth for controlling actions inside of the virtual desktop from the real desktop.

Any comments?

Now that I think about it you can probably do some thing on these lines:

1) Create some sort of auto launch script, which would launch when the virtual desktop launches.

2) This script will create a PIPE that you can use to communicate with scripts on real desktop.

3) Send commands & response back & forth for controlling actions inside of the virtual desktop from the real desktop.

Any comments?

Uhh well thats why I said tcp, cause that will do basicly 2 and 3 all you gota do is make it start when the virtual machine starts and you got number 1 :)

Actually I was going in that direction with your tcp idea :). But, I want to be able to control the processes (& probably hook to them) inside of that second desktop. Does that make sense. If you implement every thing as a server client model, you have to implement a lot of stuff. Or am I missing this completely?