script ideas section?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I couldnt see where exactly to post this!

Would it be a good idea to have a thread/section where people could post ideas for a useful script and anyone with time on their hands could get to work on it and others could chip in on the best ideas?

I have just been messing around with my picture collection using free graphic viewers, ie xnview etc

They are great for Viewing but not that great if you want to sort or search.

What i mean is a way to add a word to describe a photo to its exif or iptc data (ie the jpg title does not get changed) that would then let you easily search it.

eg say I have a folder with pictures in and they are all named recentholiday.jpg

maybe i want to tag some with "Beach" and later search for beach pics. you cant do that with these picutre viewers but you can with some free tools that could be scripted

eg exif tool command line tool

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

or

http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/iptcwdx.html

so maybe a script of gui could be made in autoit to conrtol these tools?

anyway that is one idea

I am sure people could share ideas on interesting projects?

If my suggestion is rubbish please ignore

Edited by automatedfaults

to start with, there are a few tagging applications available like taggedfrog, tag2find etc which help u do what u need, not just for photos its for almost all kind of files.

of course, if u start with something, people will be available to help u out always...

to start with, there are a few tagging applications available like taggedfrog, tag2find etc which help u do what u need, not just for photos its for almost all kind of files.

of course, if u start with something, people will be available to help u out always...

Thanks will try out taggedfrog!

but that was just one idea - others might have better I am sure. I just thought some sort of collected ideas pool anyone could work on if they were short of inspiration on what to do for their next project.

this really belongs in chat. It has been tried before with little success.

OH in that case please my apologies

the chat section did say "not accessible to non and newmembers" so I thought i would not be able to post there as I am new.

ps when do I get old?!

Edited by automatedfaults