Check if Win Firewall is on (or off)

Crash

I understand that to ON firewall in XP or older version needs the script

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'netsh firewall set opmode Enable', "", @SW_HIDE)

and to OFF it requires the script

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'netsh firewall set opmode Disable', "", @SW_HIDE)

Meanwhile,

To ON in on Vista or Win7, needs

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'netsh advfirewall set currentprofile state on', "", @SW_HIDE)

and to OFF it needs

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'netsh advfirewall set currentprofile state off', "", @SW_HIDE)

But is there any scripts to CHECK if the firewall is on?

I am writing a program to let the user to turn the firewall ON and OFF, and there is a part I need to check if the firewall is on or not.

If my program setting is on, but the firewall is not, my script will turn it on. Vice versa if it is off.

I have tried to loop the on command repeatedly if the setting is on, but that will hang the computer. Sleep won't work either, because that will slow the respond from GUI.

So to be simple, how can I check if the firewall is on?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Crash

JPGRARMouse Lock | My website | Thanks so much for your help! ❤️

Read the registry bit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\EnableFirewall

That should work.

I understand that to ON firewall in XP or older version needs the script

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'netsh firewall set opmode Enable', "", @SW_HIDE)

and to OFF it requires the script

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'netsh firewall set opmode Disable', "", @SW_HIDE)

Meanwhile,

To ON in on Vista or Win7, needs

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'netsh advfirewall set currentprofile state on', "", @SW_HIDE)

and to OFF it needs

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'netsh advfirewall set currentprofile state off', "", @SW_HIDE)

But is there any scripts to CHECK if the firewall is on?

I am writing a program to let the user to turn the firewall ON and OFF, and there is a part I need to check if the firewall is on or not.

If my program setting is on, but the firewall is not, my script will turn it on. Vice versa if it is off.

I have tried to loop the on command repeatedly if the setting is on, but that will hang the computer. Sleep won't work either, because that will slow the respond from GUI.

So to be simple, how can I check if the firewall is on?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible that the firewall service might be turned on, but the firewall is disabled, checking the registry is probably the best way to check if the firewall is on.

You're right. But in any case, the registry should not be read to determine if the firewall is on or not. It's all nicely wrapped somewhere with a public interface, I just don't remember where to look.

; if firewall is turn off value =0      
; if fwl is on value =1
If @UserName = IsAdmin() Then
    MsgBox(64, "You Have No Enought Privelegies For Acess Firewall", "You Have No Enought Privelegies For Manipulate  Firewall!")
    Exit
    Else
    MsgBox(64, "Admin Rights Detected","Admin Rights Detected.")

EndIf
$a = RegRead("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\", "EnableFirewall")

if $a ="1" Then
    MsgBox(64,"Firewall is ON", "Firewall is On Value is Equal to =>" & $a)
Else

RegWrite("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile", "EnableFirewall", "REG_DWORD", "1")
    MsgBox(64, "Turned ON", "Firewall Is Turned ON")
    EndIf

[size="5"] [/size]

I don't know enough about what you are trying to do but would like to point out a flaw in the reasoning -

On our systems at work, in order to pass compliance inspections, they are configured for the local firewall to be running. For management purposes, we turn the firewall off by Group Policy. The compliance auditing software finds the correct registry keys in the correct places to assume the firewall is running. As pointed out earlier, the service running is no guarantee that the firewall in enabled.

Now if your only wish is to set the state of the service, any time I try to start a service that is already started or stop a service that is already stopped, I don't seem to have any issues, but that is from a command prompt and not from inside AutoIt and using sc stop <servicename> or sc start <servicename> instead of netsh.