Wallpaper Rotator (with overlays)

paullab

yes I know there are a load of wallpaper rotators out there, but

I wanted one where I would specify a folder of wallpapers as well as a folder of overlays

(I use holiday photos as the wallpaper and the kids as an overlay)

The program reads a list of wallpaper files into an array and randomises it.

The same is done with the list of overlays. I when walk through the wallpapers and overlays

and create a wallpaper/overlay combinaton for display on the desktop

what this does is create a new image with a second image overlaying the first.

this code scales the second image to a percentage of the desktop height and places it

at the bottom of the screen and with a right margin sucked out of the ini file

(two lines commented out and another two uncommented will centre the overlay in the wallpaper.)

I run this on a Windows 7 PC (the best windows OS ever!) and I have fairly elevated rights,

so if you are having problems, check folder rights or use other folders. It also handles

high quality jpgs as background images which I really like.

I have jpg files as the backround and png's as the overlay (transparency support is why I use then)

but you can use just about anything

There is a tray menu that allows you to

Turn overlays on/off

skip to the next Overlay

skip to the next wallpaper

Skip to the next Wallpaper/Overlay Set

Exit the application (clear overlay automatically.)

Remember the trailing '\' on file paths in the ini file

everything between the pairs of ############## are the contents of an example ini file

THIS SHOULD BE CREATED BERFORE RUNNING THE PROGRAM

##############

; Interval - Minutes between changes

; Scale - % of desktop HEIGHT

; Margin - Right Margin

; WithOverlay - do we want overlays (1=Yes) anything else is no.

; ClearOnExit - clear the overlay on exit.

; OverlayPath - path to overlays

; WallpaperSourcePath - Path to wallpapers to use

; WallpaperPath - where we put the resultant compound image

[Defaults]

Interval=5

Scale=60

FileType=BMP

Margin=1

WithOverlay=1

ClearOnExit=1

OverlayPath=C:\Users\paul\Pictures\overlay\overlay\

WallpaperSourcePath=C:\Users\paul\Pictures\Backgrounds\

WallpaperPath=C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\

##############

original wallpaperupdate.au3 downloaded 81 times

Painting.ico

Wallpaperupdate.txt

Wallpaperudate.au3

Edited by paullab
Wallpaper Rotatorwith overlay, Loop through a folder of wallpaper & another of overlay, then create a combined image and set it as the wallpaperE-Mail passthru, Send any file, even executables via e-mail as plain text. The recipient can then later re-construct them.Slideshow widget, A slideshow widget similar to the Vista onePredictive typing using the Numpad, Predictive typing using the numpad of a keyboar similar to that on a mobile phone (the key is the .t16 file).PSTools Front End, For Remote Admin. Just makes life a lot easier (Demonstrates executing external programs and passing parameters, tabbed form Handling STDIN/STDERR)FTP Helper application Up and Download files from an FTP server demonstrates this and Tooltray TipsShow a Map of your Post-codes/Zip Codes, Uses the Clipboard, Hotkeys, the system tray (incl. menus)Disc/CD/DVD Catalogue, Ideal for all those Covermount Discs (Demonstrates Array handling, executing DOS programs, handling STDIN/STDOUT recursive directory reads, file searching.)YAST , Yet another Stopwatch/Timer (Uses a hotkey, Copies to clipboard, handles multiple events and stays on top)Keyboard Status Indicator , Indicates status of NumLock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock Keys, demonstrates API calling & System tray Icon Toggling

• 1 month later...

Added a small pause between writing the wallpaper file and setting it as the wallpaper as not doing this on a win 7 PC seemed to cause an inordinate amount of CPU use.

Also added a small configuration popup available from the tray menu.

see original post for updated source

Edited by paullab
Wallpaper Rotatorwith overlay, Loop through a folder of wallpaper & another of overlay, then create a combined image and set it as the wallpaperE-Mail passthru, Send any file, even executables via e-mail as plain text. The recipient can then later re-construct them.Slideshow widget, A slideshow widget similar to the Vista onePredictive typing using the Numpad, Predictive typing using the numpad of a keyboar similar to that on a mobile phone (the key is the .t16 file).PSTools Front End, For Remote Admin. Just makes life a lot easier (Demonstrates executing external programs and passing parameters, tabbed form Handling STDIN/STDERR)FTP Helper application Up and Download files from an FTP server demonstrates this and Tooltray TipsShow a Map of your Post-codes/Zip Codes, Uses the Clipboard, Hotkeys, the system tray (incl. menus)Disc/CD/DVD Catalogue, Ideal for all those Covermount Discs (Demonstrates Array handling, executing DOS programs, handling STDIN/STDOUT recursive directory reads, file searching.)YAST , Yet another Stopwatch/Timer (Uses a hotkey, Copies to clipboard, handles multiple events and stays on top)Keyboard Status Indicator , Indicates status of NumLock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock Keys, demonstrates API calling & System tray Icon Toggling