Help with a Parental Controls Program that is Permanently Disabling Internet Access

Can anyone help me please.

The below code is for a 'Parental Controls' program that I have been developing for use on XP, Vista and Win7.

The intention of the program is as follows:

1- Block internet access between certain times of the day (ie blocked between 11pm and 7am)

2-Block internet access after a given amount of time that certain Internet programs have been running (ie: 3 hours)

The settings for the above criteria are stored in the Registry

It blocks the internet by changing the DNS address from the default (ie 192.168.0.3) to "10.10.10.1"

The problem is that on the Wireless Laptops (XP machines) the program after a few days seems to permanently block the computers internet access.

I have tried ipconfig /release and /renew but no internet.

Even reseting the DNS info will not allows internet access (it does however connect to the router on 192.168.0.3 for example.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with the program and (although not an AutoIt question) how to get the internet connection back on these two systems.

***WARNING THIS SCRIPT MAY DISABLE YOUR INTERNET.. PLEASE BE CAREFUL***

Any help/advice/opinions would be appreciated

Gingerbloke

PC-Program.au3

Edited by gingerbloke

• Developers

My keyboard is playing up so I appologise for any spellings etc (new one on order), but that is not the problem with the program

It is not about spelling but about SHOUTING by typing your topic title all in caps!

I realize that it is not the problem but it is annoying to me at and probably many others.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

It is not about spelling but about SHOUTING by typing your topic title all in caps!

I realize that it is not the problem but it is annoying to me at and probably many others.

I get you know, sorry, I put the CAPS lock on for the warning to people but forgot to tke it off when I wrote the title immediately afterwards. It was not intentional. Posted Image

Gingerbloke

Instead of changing the DNS, make it so that the program terminates the process between those times. Posted Image

Thanks for the suggestion, I had done that when I first started the program but my children started moaning that they could not do their Homework from school because the page vanished when they were trying to read it.

I realise that the DNS way is not ideal and as the program develops I hope to:

1-Disable the Network Hardware to stop Internet Access. This works for Vista but not XP. I have not even got onto Win7 yet.

2-Monitor which programs are accessing the internet and if they are not on the Whitelist, count down the time left. My kids will install other software to access the internet to bypass my program if they get a chance.

3-Read web-sites/IP addresses being accessed and block known malicious sites logging an attempt.

I cannot really progress with this program until I work out what the issue is with it because I do not want to post a completed one as usable on the Forum until I know it is safe.

I hope this explains a bit more?

Gingerbloke