Tooltip not showing on some computers

Cuervo

Hey all,

I've run into an issue where on some computers the tooltips do not show up. Is there a common reason for this?

I just using,

ToolTip("Some text to display in tooltip.", 50, 50, "", 0, 1)

It only seems to be an issue when using the "1" bubble type of tool tip. If I use "4" it displays just fine.

Thanks for any ideas.

Edited by Cuervo

-Tim

Hey all,

I've run into an issue where on some computers the tooltips do not show up. Is there a common reason for this?

I just using,

ToolTip("Some text to display in tooltip.", 50, 50, "", 0, 1)

It only seems to be an issue when using the "1" bubble type of tool tip. If I use "4" it displays just fine.

Thanks for any ideas.

The help tells you that for "1" you need to have IE5+ so maybe that is the problem.
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

I read that part as well, only issue is this is on a winXP SP3 IE8 computer. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Can you post exact code that fails for you and you think it shouldn't.

And make it as short as possible.

It may not be related, but there is something broken with some tips related functions with latest betas; just for the record.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

I read that part as well, only issue is this is on a winXP SP3 IE8 computer. Anyone have any other suggestions?

ALT attribute and ToolTips

For as long as I can remember (I think going back to IE3), Internet Explorer has displayed a ToolTip containing the contents of the ALT attribute for IMG elements. Other browsers including Netscape 4 also showed the ToolTip. In IE7, this looks something like this:

tooltipIn IE8 standards mode, the ToolTip is no longer shown. This is a change we made to be more standards compliant, more interoperable with other current browsers, and to encourage more accessible mark-up. ToolTips are still shown in quirks and IE7 standards modes.

The problem comes because having the ALT attribute displayed as a ToolTip encourages two behaviours that aren’t compatible with the accessible web. The first is that content authors naturally enough set their ALT text to be something appropriate for a ToolTip but not ALTernate text to represent the image in scenarios where users can’t see the image. The second is that content authors actively don’t put alternate text because they don’t want a ToolTip displayed. Neither of these is desirable.

The solution for content authors is to use the TITLE attribute if they want a ToolTip. The TITLE attribute applies to other elements with the same effect and not just images. The ALT attribute should be used for text that’s an alternative to the image.

Technorati Tags: IE8,tooltip,ALT

Here is the LINK

That's the first result when you google "ie8 tooltips"

=\

Edit: Looks like my post would seem to explain your problem.

Edited by jebus495

Can you post exact code that fails for you and you think it shouldn't.

And make it as short as possible.

It may not be related, but there is something broken with some tips related functions with latest betas; just for the record.

This works

ToolTip("You have 10 seconds to start dancing or playing a song.", 50, 50, "", 0, 4)

and this fails to show

ToolTip("You have 10 seconds to start dancing or playing a song.", 50, 50, "", 0, 1)

-Tim

This works

ToolTip("You have 10 seconds to start dancing or playing a song.", 50, 50, "", 0, 4)

and this fails to show

ToolTip("You have 10 seconds to start dancing or playing a song.", 50, 50, "", 0, 1)

That's a full code?

Make and post a complete script. (That would mean to add at least one more line)

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

That's a full code?

Make and post a complete script. (That would mean to add at least one more line)

I'm sorry I guess I missunderstood what you needed.

Here is the entire tooltip code

Sleep(9000)
ToolTip("")
Sleep(1000)

The entire script is more then 2700 lines long.

-Tim

I've had the same problem with GUICtrlSetTip(). It won't accept "" for title. Just add a space in there like so

ToolTip("You have 10 seconds to start dancing or playing a song.", 50, 50, " ", 0, 1)

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I've had the same problem with GUICtrlSetTip(). It won't accept "" for title. Just add a space in there like so

ToolTip("You have 10 seconds to start dancing or playing a song.", 50, 50, " ", 0, 1)

This had no effect on the tooltip displaying.

-Tim

This had no effect on the tooltip displaying.

Sorry guys, we can close this one out. It's not an issue with Autoit.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

Make sure you have it set to 1 in registery.

-Tim

That will do it.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

And if you use Default keyword?

I have not tried it using DEFAULT so I can't tell you for sure but I will play with that in one of my scripts when I have the time.

George

Did anyone try putting IE8 in IE7 mode like the post I made above suggests?

The OP already discovered that Balloon tips were disabled on the system and IE mode wouldn't change that.

George