Active Directory UDF

water

Hi,

I'm back again...apologies for my absence.

Congratulations on your fabulous work! I'm very impressed with the conversion to UDF format that you've carried out. I could never have managed all this (there's only so many hours in the day).

Have you thought about how to convert old scripts to the UDF versions? I'll have a look and see if there's any simple way of doing it. I have rather a lot of scripts that use my original 'include' file, and it would probably make sense to convert to using your UDF, but I don't fancy manually modifying 9500+ lines of code.

I'll have a play with the new UDF version and see if I can't figure out a simple way of converting. I guess I'll need to consult your version history to see what changes have occurred to functions over the course of your work.

I think since we last spoke I've only added one further function to my own copy. This is a way to add additional SMTP addresses to an Exchange-enabled account. I also have code for Removing/Editing these, though I haven't formalised it into ADFunctions yet.

Here's my attempt at making the code compatible with your UDF format, let me know if you need anything else.

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _AD_AddEmailAddress
; Description ...: Add an additional SMTP email address to the 'Email Addresses' tab of an Exchange-enabled AD account
; Syntax.........: _AD_AddEmailAddress($sAD_User, $sAD_newemail[, $fAD_primary = False])
; Parameters ....: $sAD_User - User account (sAMAccountName or FQDN)
;                  $sAD_newemail - Email address to add to the account
;                  $fAD_Flag - Optional: if TRUE the new email address will be set as primary address
; Return values .: Success - 1
;                  Failure - 0, @error set
;                  |1 - $sAD_User does not exist
;                  |2 - Could not connect to $sAD_User
; Author ........: Jonathan Clelland
; Modified.......: 
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......: 
; Link ..........:
; Example .......: No
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _AD_AddEmailAddress($sAD_User, $sAD_newemail, $fAD_primary = False)
    If _AD_ObjectExists($sAD_User) = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

If StringMid($sAD_User, 3, 1) <> "=" Then $sAD_User = _AD_SamAccountNameToFQDN($sAD_User) ; sAMAccountName provided

Local $oAD_User = _ADObjGet("LDAP://" & $sAD_HostServer & "/" & $sAD_User)
    If Not IsObj($oAD_User) Then
        MsgBox(0, "Error!", "An error occurred attaching to the user object '" & $sAD_User & "'.")
        Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Local $aAD_proxyaddresses = $oAD_User.GetEx("proxyaddresses")
    If $fAD_primary Then
        For $i = 0 To UBound($aAD_proxyaddresses) - 1
            If StringInStr($aAD_proxyaddresses[$i], "SMTP:", 1) Then
                $aAD_proxyaddresses[$i] = StringReplace($aAD_proxyaddresses[$i], "SMTP:", "smtp:", 0, 1)
            EndIf
        Next
        _ArrayAdd($aAD_proxyaddresses, "SMTP:" & $sAD_newemail)
        $oAD_User.Put("mail", $sAD_newemail)
    Else
        _ArrayAdd($aAD_proxyaddresses, "smtp:" & $sAD_newemail)
    EndIf

$oAD_User.PutEx(2, "proxyaddresses", $aAD_proxyaddresses)
    $oAD_User.SetInfo
    If @error <> 0 Then Return SetError(@error, 0, 0)
    Return 1
EndFunc

And here's an example of how to use it;

; *****************************************************************************
; Example 1
; Add an email address to a user
; *****************************************************************************
#include <AD.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

; Open Connection to the Active Directory
_AD_Open()

$iReply = MsgBox(308, "Active Directory Functions - Example 1", "This script adds an email address to a user." & @CRLF & @CRLF & _
        "Are you sure you want to change the Active Directory?")
If $iReply <> 6 Then Exit

; Enter user account and description
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$Form1 = GUICreate("Active Directory Functions - Example 1", 514, 124)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("User account (samAccountName or sAMAccountName):", 8, 10, 231, 34)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("New email address:", 8, 42, 231, 17)
$IUser = GUICtrlCreateInput(@UserName, 241, 8, 259, 21)
$IEmail = GUICtrlCreateInput("me@mydomain.com", 241, 40, 259, 21)
$BOK = GUICtrlCreateButton("Add address", 8, 72, 121, 33)
$BCancel = GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 428, 72, 73, 33, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_BUTTON, $BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON))
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $BCancel
            Exit
        Case $BOK
            $sUser = GUICtrlRead($IUser)
            $sEmail = GUICtrlRead($IEmail)
            ExitLoop
    EndSwitch
WEnd

; Change attribute
$iValue = _AD_AddEmailAddress($sUser, $sEmail, True)
If $iValue = 1 Then
    MsgBox(64, "Active Directory Functions - Example 1", "Email address for user '" & $sUser & "' successfully changed")
ElseIf @error = 1 Then
    MsgBox(64, "Active Directory Functions - Example 1", "User '" & $sUser & "' does not exist")
Else
    MsgBox(64, "Active Directory Functions - Example 1", "Return code '" & @error & "' from Active Directory")
EndIf

; Close Connection to the Active Directory
_AD_Close()

Thanks again for all your hard work, as I say, the UDF version would never have been possible without you,

Cheers,

Johny.

Hi,

I think we got hit by bug #1068: Binary to Int. This was fixed in 3.3.2.0

I was always wondering why the function returned a negative value because IsMember only returns 0x0 or 0x1.

I changed the code to return an absolute value so the function returns a valid result for every AutoIt version.

Hi Johny,

glad you like the UDF version :mellow:

I will incorporate _AD_AddEmailAddress in the next version.

Have you thought about how to convert old scripts to the UDF versions?

No I haven't. I have myself converted some scripts from adfunctions.au3 to AD.au3. It didn't take me long as the scripts only had a few calls to adfunctions.au3.

But I think it's better to do it manually for the following reasons:

• You have to add _AD_Open and _AD_Close calls at the appropriate places in your script
  • You have to change the function names from _AD* to _AD_*
  • I've removed ByRef so the way data is returned has changed (see the history for which functions are affected)
  • Some conversion code (from SamAccountName to FQDN and vice versa) can be removed from the scripts as it will be done by the function itself
  • You might have to change the error checking code. The functions now set @error so you don't have to check the result any more
Have a nice weekend

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Wow - 200 downloads of the UDF and (nearly) no questions.

Everyone is happy with the UDF so far?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi gcue,

just waiting for confirmation that _AD_JoinDomain (new function) and _AD_IsObjectLocked (rewritten function) work.

Then I will release 0.37

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Wow! That was fast!

Glad it works.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

:mellow:

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I can echo that there are some of us that use this UDF nearly daily that can't thank you enough for the work put into it. Prior to Johnny and your work in this area I was doing most object calls manually so it's handy to have a convenient way to regularly do simple AD tasks. Thanks!

That's the reason why I started to convert Johns adfunctions into a "real" UDF. I made some scripts based on his UDF that saved me a lot of time in my company. I received a lot of help from this forum as well. So it was only fair to return a bit of time and effort.

I'm glad so many people - as shown by the download stats - like the work of John and me.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Water,

Looks great so far. I use a combination of Clelland's UDF and another UDF which I found floating around. I use these in a Production environment for a fairly large enterprise. As such, I have stabilized all of the code which I use. It is good to see a promising new compilation.

One suggestion is to combine all of the existing UDFs.

For example, Clelland's v3.3 has functions that v3.35 does not.

Here are a few functions which I converted from v3.3 to v3.35. They have been tested thoroughly. I have put them into the appropriate format for the UDF, I believe.

; #Function#====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _AD_SetPasswordExpired
; Description ...: Sets user's password as expired
; Syntax.........: _AD_SetPasswordExpired($sAD_Object)
; Parameters ....: $sAD_Object - Username
; Return values .: 0 (Failed) or 1 (Worked)
; Author ........: Ethan Turk
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:
; ===============================================================================================================================

Func _AD_SetPasswordExpired($sAD_Object)

If Not _AD_ObjectExists($sAD_Object) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Local $sAD_Property = "sAMAccountName"
    If StringMid($sAD_Object, 3, 1) = "=" Then $sAD_Property = "distinguishedName"; FQDN provided
    Local $sAD_Query = "<LDAP://" & $sAD_HostServer & "/" & $sAD_DNSDomain & ">;(" & $sAD_Property & "=" & $sAD_Object & ");ADsPath;subtree"
    Local $oAD_RecordSet = $oAD_Connection.Execute($sAD_Query) ; Retrieve the FQDN for the object
    Local $sAD_LDAPEntry = $oAD_RecordSet.fields(0).value
    Local $oAD_Object = _AD_ObjGet($sAD_LDAPEntry) ; Retrieve the COM Object for the object

;$oAD_Object.GetInfo
    $oAD_Object.Put ("pwdLastSet", "0")
    $oAD_Object.SetInfo()

Local $iAD_Error = @error
    If $iAD_Error <> 0 Then Return SetError($iAD_Error, 0, 0)
    Return 1

EndFunc

; #Function#====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _AD_DeleteMailbox
; Description ...: Delete's Mailbox from a User
; Syntax.........: _AD_DeleteMailbox($sAD_Object)
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:

Func _AD_DeleteMailbox($sAD_Object)

If StringMid($sAD_Object, 3, 1) = "=" Then $sAD_Property = "distinguishedName"; FQDN provided
    Local $sAD_Query = "<LDAP://" & $sAD_HostServer & "/" & $sAD_DNSDomain & ">;(" & $sAD_Property & "=" & $sAD_Object & ");ADsPath;subtree"
    Local $oAD_RecordSet = $oAD_Connection.Execute($sAD_Query) ; Retrieve the FQDN for the object
    Local $oAD_Object = _AD_ObjGet($sAD_LDAPEntry) ; Retrieve the COM Object for the object

If $oAD_Object.HomeMDB = "" Then Return 0

$oAD_Object.DeleteMailbox
    $oAD_Object.SetInfo

$oAD_Object = 0

Return 1

EndFunc

; Name...........: _AD_MailEnableGroup
; Description ...: Enables Mail for a Group
; Syntax.........: _AD_MailEnableGroup($sAD_Object)
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:

Func _AD_MailEnableGroup($sAD_Object)

$oAD_Object.MailEnable
    $oAD_Object.Put("internetEncoding",1310720)
    $oAD_Object.SetInfo

$oAD_Object = 0

Return 1

EndFunc
Edited by eternally1027

Hi Ethan,

thanks for the functions! I will incorporate them in the next version.

My goal is to create a single UDF that contains all Active Directory related functions. Some of the functions contained in adfunctions.au3 are still missing (mail related). As soon as I find some spare time and understand what the functions do I will move them to the AD UDF.

What functions do you think are still missing in the AD UDF (except the functions you've sent me)?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Water,

As far as I can see, the current list is pretty much complete (at least for what I use).

I just upgraded to your update and it seems that all of my existing scripts are working correctly.

It looks great. I just used your API to integrate the AD UDF into SciTE. Perfect.

Great work. I see this helping a lot of people.

Also, thanks to Johnathan Clelland for writing this UDF in the beginning.

Ethan

i am getting a strange error (dr watson type):

autoit3.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience...

happens almost everytime when i pull one specific account and a few times on others

BUT if i leave the msgbox in between both queries i never get the error. so i figured i should put in a sleep in place of the msgbox to avoid the error? but that didnt work.

any ideas?

_AD_Open()

$groups = _AD_GetUserGroups($initials)
If @error Then
    MsgBox(0, "", "cant find user")
    Exit
EndIf
_ArraySort($groups)

MsgBox(0,"","")

$password_info = _AD_GetPasswordInfo($initials)
If Not @error Then
    $password_expires = _DateTimeFormat($password_info[9], 0)
EndIf

$object_properties = _AD_GetObjectProperties($initials)
If Not @error Then
    For $x = 1 To UBound($object_properties) - 1
        If $object_properties[$x][0] = "givenName" Then
            $first_name = $object_properties[$x][1]
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf

If $object_properties[$x][0] = "sn" Then
            $last_name = $object_properties[$x][1]
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf

If $object_properties[$x][0] = "displayName" Then
            $display_name = $object_properties[$x][1]
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf

If $object_properties[$x][0] = "company" Then
            $company = $object_properties[$x][1]
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf

If $object_properties[$x][0] = "department" Then
            $department = $object_properties[$x][1]
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf

If $object_properties[$x][0] = "physicalDeliveryOfficeName" Then
            $office = $object_properties[$x][1]
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf

If $object_properties[$x][0] = "lastLogon" Then
            $last_logon = _DateTimeFormat($object_properties[$x][1], 0)
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf

If $object_properties[$x][0] = "pwdLastSet" Then
            $password_last_set = _DateTimeFormat($object_properties[$x][1], 0)
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf

If $object_properties[$x][0] = "accountExpires" Then
            If $object_properties[$x][1] = "1600/12/31 16:00:00" Then
                $account_expires = "Never"
                ContinueLoop
            Else
                $account_expires = _DateTimeFormat($object_properties[$x][1], 0)
                ContinueLoop
            EndIf
        EndIf
    Next
EndIf

_AD_Close()
Edited by gcue

Hi gcue,

could you please run your program with

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Debug_Mode=y
inserted at the beginning? So we might see where it aborts and if it always happens at the same instruction.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I hope it stays that way :mellow:

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki