How to get file current icon

eXirrah

A feature in a program I create is that it shows the files assosiated with icons as shown in Windows Explorer.

The problem is that I can't find a way to determine which icon is an executable file using.

For other file extentions than .exe I search in the registry.

Example: for .txt files one can find the icon by following these steps (WinXP - I never tested that on any other windows)

Read HEKY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\(Default)

Search for HTKEY_CLASSES_ROO\<Read>\DefaultIcon\(Default)

You should get a comma separated string which tells you where the icon that .txt files use can be found.

I need an algorithm that can tell me where I can find the icon assiciated with a file in windows explorer.

Can this be done?

If it can point me in the right direction please.

I was explaining how I was able to find the icons of some of the file extentions.

I need algorithms like that for all the other file types like:

1) executables

2) files that have icons generated by Windows.

Edited by eXirrah

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105984

Close :), my thread above is just about extracting the Typename per file...

Take a look at the _WinAPI_ShellGetFileInfo() function in Yashieds excellent WinAPIEx.au3 UDF.

Close :), my thread above is just about extracting the Typename per file...

Take a look at the _WinAPI_ShellGetFileInfo() function in Yashieds excellent WinAPIEx.au3 UDF.

I'm not really going to invest a lot of time in finding a topic for someone, because they don't invest a lot of time themselves. Usually I just copy the first two results so that people realize they're being stupid for not having searched enough.

This is because I already checked these threads and instead of wasting your time in reading

the probably at least 50 thread I read the last 2 hours at the forums I decided not to discuss it.

FileGetShortcut() - I don't need shortcut icons... I need the eecutable icons.

A similar algorithm to KaFu's I already posted in the first post.

EDIT: I am sure that the icon index and the filename of the file containing the icon are written somewhere

in the executable file.

I am sure that there is AutoIt function(at least not in the standart package) that returns this information.

My main question is: How can I read from an executable the location of it's icon and it's index.

Edited by eXirrah