dll call ???

AutoIt cannot call .Net dlls.

;) I had no idea.

Why not? What is different with a .net dll compared to the user32.dll?

Are there any other restrictions?

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

where is the problem when using like this

DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "MessageBox", "hwnd", 0, "str", "Some text", "str", "Some title", "int", 0)

but changing user32.dll to any dll ??

and what is the deference between .Net dll and others ??

Edited by AlienStar

.NET dll is not compiled into executable byte code but into intermediate code called MIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) or just IL which the .NET interpreter then convert to machine code specific to the machine the .NET program is running on. What this implies is that the structure of the .NET dll is different than the structure of Win32 executable dll. In short you can't call LoadLibrary and then GetProcAddress because these functions do not recognize the .NET dll as a Win32 executable dll. I might be wrong though.

For my limited knowledge about IL, many things that cannot be done in any of the .NET language can be done in IL. For example, global variable, IL code encryption and much more. So I guess that global functions are well possible but require coding in IL only which in turn requires solid understanding of IL and the file structure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For my limited knowledge about IL, many things that cannot be done in any of the .NET language can be done in IL. For example, global variable, IL code encryption and much more. So I guess that global functions are well possible but require coding in IL only which in turn requires solid understanding of IL and the file structure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Right. There even were some efforts in the german forum to modify the IL code in order to have it callable by native Code. This resultet in a small app to do this.

I think, it is based on an article like this one on CodeProject.

Edit: You still need .NET-framework in order to use the dll.

Edited by ProgAndy

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

thanks all for help and attention

I think it's closing to be little difficult

is there any way easier than this ??

even if I had to use another language ( no problem )

I just wanna make dll files including simple functions

thanks again

Glad you like the attention allen, you are a star.

To answer your question there is nothing easy about dlls to those of us who are not familiar with them.

Just stick with the learning curve and it will come, there are no shortcuts.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

.NET dll is not compiled into executable byte code but into intermediate code.

Thanks, I guess it does not always do JIT compiling. Something has to force the JIT compiler?

Also, .Net is object oriented, which means that no functions can be called without an object reference.

Don't really get why object oriented is a factor. Moving .Net aside, is there really a difference between a Standard C (with a structure and functions) and C++ (with a class and (public) member functions) in a compiled dll? One does not have OO and the other does but I wouldn't expect the computer knows the difference once compiled into machine code. Or is this .Net specific?

Edit: Added the public clause.

Edited by bo8ster

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

Don't really get why object oriented is a factor. Moving .Net aside, is there really a difference between a Standard C (with a structure and functions) and C++ (with a class and (public) member functions) in a compiled dll? One does not have OO and the other does but I wouldn't expect the computer knows the difference once compiled into machine code.

Let's move .NET alone since it's something else entirely.

The big difference between C and C++ (from the point of view of mixed calls between both) is just OO. A C program will know nothing about the methods that need to be invoked to perform any action with/on any object. There are zillions of ways to implement an object like, say a DAG (directed acyclic graph). How could a C program do anthing with/to a DAG object if one is passed by ref on the stack? Trying to butcherize inside the object would lead absolutely nowhere but segfault or worse. C can't imagine there is a whole inheritance tree behind a given object because such things are just beyond C possibilities.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I understand OO well, but does it make a difference when calling the dll?

In code it is important as a member function is apart of the object but I am not talking about code.

If we talk about DllCall() then no, there is no difference.

Regardless of what language is used for writing or what technique is used to write, if they do the same thing (it should be clear what I'm saying here) they will be turned to similar set of instructions. Incredibly similar.

I said turned and not compiled because the C# code will also end that way eventually.

In code it is important as a member function is apart of the object but I am not talking about code.

It makes several big differences. First, C++ functions names are "mangled". Google for that to find out.

Now, if you're not talking about code, what else? Describe a practical situation involving C calling C++. Note that you can call C functions from C++ without any problem.

If you're talking of DllCall-ing a C++ dll from AutoIt, then which "object" are you going to pass back and forth and where do you think the method code will reside?

If you pass a reference, say, a void* (ptr) then what will that pointer be refering to? How would you create an object in AutoIt if it isn't a native AutoIt type? If the object is created by the dll, then how can AutoIt know how to deal with it? Either situation, you have to violate the encapsulation (at the very least), which is an absolute no-no because it defeats the very purpose of OO in the first place.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

It makes several big differences. First, C++ functions names are "mangled". Google for that to find out.

Name mangling was added to C++ because of function overloading, not OO.

Now, if you're not talking about code, what else? Describe a practical situation involving C calling C++. Note that you can call C functions from C++ without any problem.

Simple one: a C program using AutoItX.

If you're talking of DllCall-ing a C++ dll from AutoIt, then which "object" are you going to pass back and forth and where do you think the method code will reside?

If you pass a reference, say, a void* (ptr) then what will that pointer be refering to? How would you create an object in AutoIt if it isn't a native AutoIt type? If the object is created by the dll, then how can AutoIt know how to deal with it? Either situation, you have to violate the encapsulation (at the very least), which is an absolute no-no because it defeats the very purpose of OO in the first place.

You can (and probably should) use opaque handles in these situations, when you need to cross {language|address} boundaries.

I think you totally missed by point, I think trancexx is more on the ball with what I am referring to. From what I understand (and I could be totally wrong) C and C++ code get compiled down to basically the same thing - so if you look at the assembly or machine code there would be really no difference between them. Concepts like OO, encapsulation only apply when creating the dll and have no meaning to the computer only to the compiler and the coder.

I raised the point to address Richard's comment and he is correct in his statement but I don't see how a dll being OO or not should make any different in calling it. The API will dictate what is required regardless of how it is implemented.

Edited by bo8ster