Include .exe within an AutoIt .exe

surfdork

Hi,

I've searched the forums and have searched via Google yet haver not found a clear answer if this is possible. There was allot of info in these posts including binary Error running .exe

Embed an .exe

Fileinstall is not the solution for my project,I can't install any extra files beyond the test application I'm trying to make.

I read the following and it was not clear to me in how to implent so I can get the desired functionality

Try the AutoIt3Wrapper Compiler Directives. You can find them starting in SciTE: Help > SciTE Help > Extra Utilities > AutoIt3Wrapper.

Here's what I'm trying to do, sans any nefarious intent.

I want to make an application the when the GUI button is clicked procdump.exe is invoked creating a dump file then placing it into a folder. This is to assist in recording defects as they occur in an application under test. I can have an AutoIt exe on the desktop but I can't leave anny files behind, even one a beneficial as procdump.exe

ProcDump.exe really cool!

The sequence follows:

On button click check for file bugs in %user% desktop

Create parent folder

If folder exists then skip

Create child bug folder and label

Copy propertiary log files to bug folder

Take screen shot and save in bug folder

Invoke functionality from embedded procdump procdump foo.exe

save process dump in the bug folder

I hve no idea how I'd call procdump

AutoItFoo run procdmp.exe foo.exe?

I can do this as long as I can find out how to embed the procdump.exe

Anyway, a GUI wrapper in the tool would help allot of folks. I'm sure my little app could be useful for the community as well. ;)

I can't install any extra files beyond the test application I'm trying to make.

Create parent folder

If folder exists then skip

Create child bug folder and label

Copy propertiary log files to bug folder

I wonder how come you can't install anything (FileInstall will copy the included file to the specified location) but you can make folders and copy files ??

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

Log files , screen shots and .DMP files are not EXE's. These is a strict corporste policy for installing executables. procdump coud be accessed remotley and is a security concern as per corporate(silly) I don't make the rules. My application is a standalone application, no MSI as you know that is approved (in concept) All of the folfers and files within are for immedate consumption in that they will be used to file defects against the application in test.

I did not include the folder/file clean component of the scrpt which will be included.

One button will capture the bug one will lock eg protected from auto delete and the other will close/delete the application or at least that is how I envision it right now. I hope this requirement will change.

App user ID ( different from NT login), Folder creation with AppUser ID, machine configuration copied to .txt, screen shot, search for user log and config, copy files all coded.

I just need the .DMP ,Symbols refrence, gui and auto app/folder delete.

Intergration of the processdmp is essential

I'm a noob and am still not getting it. I'm not clear on what to do reading the ADS forums or anywhere else to accomplish the following.

I create bugsnatch.au3

Within bugsnatch.au3

I call procdump.exe internaly, within the script I'm writing and pass parameters ( how do I do this? Is this even possible?)

I compile bigsnatch.exe with proxdump.exe included

The application bugsnatch.exe invokes the procdump.exe functionality when executed.

If this does not work is there a script in AtoIt that can create a dmp file oncomannd? I looked and no such luck.

All windows scripting relies on debug tools being present on the machine under test. I don't have that option.

A user can create a dmp file via the GUI by right clicking on the process and selecting create dmp file.

I've not found a way to invoke that either from any command.

Any Ideas on how I could do that with AutoIt?

Passing a CMD does not work, that option is not avaliable unless the win debug tools are installed.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Your question was about how to embed an exe without using FileInstall.

ADS allow you to store any number of files in Alternate Data Streams. The exe you were interrested to "embed" can be stored in one ADS for your compiled application and run from there.

This post explains how to do it: #592144

Have fun

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)