newbie help on automating installs

mmancini

ok, I tried both recorders with minimal luck. so I mad this script to automate the install of Malware Bytes and while it launches the setup it crashes and I don't know why. I am obviously missing something big.

Run("c:\twistedtech-temp\mbam-setup.exe")

sleep(3000)

Send("+{TAB}")

Send ("{enter}")

Send ("{enter}")

Send("!a")

Send ("{enter}")

Send ("{enter}")

Send ("{enter}")

Send ("{enter}")

Send ("{enter}")

Send ("{enter}")

sleep(10000)

Send ("{enter}")

Sleep(10000)

Send ("{enter}")

sleep(10000)

send("!n")

sleep(10000)

Send("{TAB}")

Send("{TAB}")

Send ("{SPACE}")

send("!n")

sleep(10000)

Most are not going to install MalwareBytes just to test your script. So you need to describe your symptoms more clearly than "...while it launches the setup it crashes and I don't know why."

To make install scripts in general more reliable, use things like WinExists() to make sure windows have been created before trying to interact with them, and ControlSend()/ControlClick() to be sure inputs are going where you want them.

More specific help from the forum will require a more specific description of the issue.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

ok, I tried both recorders with minimal luck. so I mad this script to automate the install of Malware Bytes and while it launches the setup it crashes and I don't know why. I am obviously missing something big.

Here is my solution:

GUICtrlSetData($info, "Malwarebytes Antispyware 1.31.0.0 is installing")
            Run(@tempdir&"\TechFaves\Spyware Removal\mbam-setup.exe")
            GUICtrlSetData($info, "waiting for ""Select Setup Language"" screen")
            Do
                sleep($timedelay)
                if WinExists("Select Setup Language") Then
                    WinActivate("Select Setup Language")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "send ""Enter""")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "waiting for ""Welcome"" screen")
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","This will install Malwarebytes") Then
                    WinActivate("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","This will install Malwarebytes")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "waiting for ""License Agreement"" screen")
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Please read the following important information before") Then
                    WinActivate("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Please read the following important information before")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "select ""Accept"" tab (send ""Tab"")")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{TAB}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "check ""Accept"" tab (send ""Up"")")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{UP}")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "waiting for ""Information"" screen")
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","When you are ready to continue") Then
                    WinActivate("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","When you are ready to continue")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "waiting for ""Destination Location"" screen")
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","If you would like to select a different folder") Then
                    WinActivate("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","If you would like to select a different folder")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "send ""Select Start Menu Folder"" screen")
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Folder Exists") Then
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")                 
                EndIf                   
                if WinExists("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Setup will create the program's shortcuts") Then
                    WinActivate("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Setup will create the program's shortcuts")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "waiting for the ""Select Additional Tasks"" Screen")
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Select the additional tasks you would like") Then
                    WinActivate("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Select the additional tasks you would like")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "waiting for the ""Ready to Install"" screen")
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Click Install to continue with the installation") then
                    WinActivate("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Click Install to continue with the installation")
                    sleep($timedelay)
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "waiting for the ""Completing"" screen")
                    WinWait("Setup - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Setup has finished installing Malwarebytes")
                    ProcessClose("mbam-setup.exe")
                    ProcessClose("mbam-setup.tmp")
                    GUICtrlSetData($info, "updating (may take a little while)")
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            until 1=2
            Run(@ProgramFilesDir&"\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe /updateshowdialog")
            Do
                if WinExists("Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","The latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware has been downloaded") then send("{ENTER}")
                if winexists("Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","Congratulations") then
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    ProcessClose("mbam.exe")
                    Do
                    until not ProcessExists("mbam.exe")
                    Run(@ProgramFilesDir&"\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe /updateshowdialog")
                    if WinExists("Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","The latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware has been downloaded") then 
                        msgbox(0,"","done")
                        send("{ENTER}")
                    EndIf
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","error") then 
                    send("{ENTER}")
                EndIf
                if WinExists("Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware","You have the latest database version") then 
                    send("{ENTER}")
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            until 1=2
        GUICtrlSetData($info, "Malwarebytes installation is complete")

$info is just an Edit box (could be a Label or whatever else you want) that I send status info to, omit that if you want.

Enjoy

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

While you both (Volly and 987learner) are right, sometimes that option is a pain. Spybot caused me a lot of wasted effort because using their commandline switches in a multi-installer, timing what was going on by looking for running processes and is it still running, did the next thing go, etc was a pain in the butt. Knowing how to do a solid automation can be very useful (and no matter how many times I see it I LOVE watching it go by itself!! ;) )

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.