A bootable USB

Fantastic

A bootable USB

Utility to Create Bootable USB Drive to Install Windows Vista, Server 2008 and 7

Back when Microsoft started giving Windows 7 the first beta, I started using it while testing functionality of my system with the new operating system.

Somewhere in a blog I read how to make Windows 7 boot and setup from an USB drive. It was about 6 or 7 lines that you had to run in a command prompt.

Then I wrote a batch file containing that lines of code. But unfortunately every time I run the script I had to edit 2 lines in the batch.

So an idea came into my mind: ;) "Why not writing a script doing all these automatically?"

Note that before that idea I knew about AutoIT but I had not a chance writing a script.

The first script was about 200 lines, with no gui, with nothing but just was functional. Everything was like I wanted to be and I was very happy with that.

After that I thought again... "Why not making a gui for it?" and this is the result of my idea.

OK new version source is here:

All resources used:

ABUSB.7z

a modified Icons.au3 from Yashied:

Icons.au3

and main script:

ABUSB.au3

This script uses also:

a modified copy with progress dialog to fit my needs

two small examples from Melba23

one for getting focus on input

and the other for window dragging (don't have link right now)

If I forgot something else don't hesitate to tell me.

Some screenshots:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Fantastic

what does it exactly do? create the system files to boot into a windows environment? (sorta like ERD Commander) it seems its only to install windows 7

would be nice if the files did boot into a windows environment to rid of pesky trojans on startup

(im an XP user so i'll be on the lookout for your update!)

Edited by gcue

what does it exactly do? create the system files to boot into a windows environment? (sorta like ERD Commander) it seems its only to install windows 7

would be nice if the files did boot into a windows environment to rid of pesky trojans on startup

(im an XP user so i'll be on the lookout for your update!)

It's like installing Windows® from DVD but in this case you use USB drive with all it's advantages and/or disadvantages.

That's all.

• 1 month later...

i like the idea!

i have also noticed from your website that you now have a working xp version. do you use diskpart to format the usb. im sure in the past xp's version on diskpart was giving you problems on making the usb bootable. how did you get over this?

would you be willing to share the new code on the newer version?

i am trying to do the same thing but just format the usb and then copy winpe files and wim images to it. would like it to work on xp do to the fact the techs that will be creating these are on xp systems.

great work so far, with a great gui.

d@ve

i like the idea!

i have also noticed from your website that you now have a working xp version. do you use diskpart to format the usb. im sure in the past xp's version on diskpart was giving you problems on making the usb bootable. how did you get over this?

would you be willing to share the new code on the newer version?

i am trying to do the same thing but just format the usb and then copy winpe files and wim images to it. would like it to work on xp do to the fact the techs that will be creating these are on xp systems.

New code is up.

Now I'm using plain format to do all the stuff, everything else is about the same.

• 8 months later...