Multiple DropBox accounts

BinaryBrother

There is a program over at the DropBox Wiki that allows you to run multiple DropBox accounts, etc... It's overly complex and doesn't work anymore... :/

My Method works fine so long as you set the second+ dropbox account to use root, and not C:\Users\Documents etc...

Personally, I have a second HDD, so I kept it organized by creating E:\DropBox\DropBox (BinaryBrother) and E:\DropBox\DropBox (Web-Server) etc... Doing this on C:\ works just as well... And here you have it, a nicely done CLI... ;)

Feel free to take the idea and make a really cool program (GUI etc). I just figured this little trick was pretty neat...

#RequireAdmin
#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_outfile=DropBoxy.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=4
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
; DropBox script...
#include <Process.au3>
If $CmdLine[0] < 2 Then Exit
If $CmdLine[1] = "-cnl" Then ;Create New Link
    _RunDOS("net user /add " & $CmdLine[2] & " dropbox")
    _RunDOS("net localgroup administrators " & $CmdLine[2] & " /add")
ElseIf $CmdLine[1] = "-db" Then ;Execute DropBox with new account
    RunAs($CmdLine[2], @ComputerName, "dropbox", 1, @AppDataDir & "\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe")
EndIf

All it does is create a new user account on the PC, and then "RunAs" DropBox with the new account... lol

Compile as CLI and...

Syntax:

DropBoxy -cnl BinaryBrother2 <--- Creates a new account on the PC and assigns it to Admin

DropBoxy -db BinaryBrother2 <--- Simply Opens DropBox with the account...

I have a batch in my Startup right now that opens the dropbox with something like this... C:\DropBoxy.exe -db BinaryBrother2

The first DropBox of course starts up normally... But one of you bored guys could take this and run with it... Make an account manager, password settings, etc...

post-25179-12625399752489_thumb.jpg

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

Great idea! having multiple running instance of Dropbox affect your memory usuage? On my rig, one instance of Dropbox take up apx 40mb of ram, so assuming it'll occupies as much as 120mb if I ran 3 instance of dropboxes?

On my Machine is using roughly 80mb for 2 instances...

can you use this to invite yourself to increase the dropbox storage? from 2gb to 4gb (250 mb per invite )

Not on the same IP address....

Anyway, I'm not encouraging anything that violates the DropBox TOS really... They had a program that allowed you to run multiple DropBox's on there own site, and I've even seen them talk about it in the forums... ;)

BinaryBrother

I've attempted a similar situation in Windows 2003 SBS

but I do not want to give all my users "Administrators" access. that would just be brutal.

I'm wondering if you would know what permissions to change to get "RunAs" to work?

Thanks,

s0ya

It'd be cool to see a DropBox feature that will allow you to sync it with your own website, so there's no limit. I've never used DropBox before, so if this feature exists, let me know.

For those who are asking questions, look in the help file first. I'm tired of people asking stupid questions about how to do things when 10 seconds in the help file could solve their problem.[quote name='JRowe' date='24 January 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1264381100' post='766337'][quote name='beerman' date='24 January 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1264372082' post='766300']They already have a punishment system for abuse.[/quote]... and his his name is Valik.[/quote]www.minikori.com

Well not right off that I'm aware of... The server side software is proprietary and I'm sure DropBox doesn't have the intention to release it soon... ;)

Although there is a way to link files to your website, and not just what's in the Public folder using PHP 'hacks' from the Wiki... They aren't official API's but work pretty well...

PHP Upload form that would allow users to upload files to your DropBox...

http://wiki.dropbox.com/DropboxAddons/PHPDropboxUploader

A more fully featured "API" of sorts...

http://wiki.dropbox.com/DropboxAddons/PHPDropboxConnection

Email to upload... (Allows you to use PHP to check an email account for attachments, and transfer them to your DropBox)

http://wiki.dropbox.com/DropboxAddons/EmailToUpload