Script on Windows Login?

Hi, I noticed that there is a way in Windows to make a flash drive hold a key to unlock the computer if you cannot remember the password. This got me thinking, is there a way to run a script like this before anybody has logged on?

Just as an example, could you replicate what Windows does by looping through drives for a file, and if it is found tell the user his password?

Is there any place in the Registry that will start up a program before a log-on?

Thank you.

Edit: I am searching online and I read that it might work if made a Service?

Edited by darkjohn20

Click Start - Run - gpedit.msc

This will open an Group Policy Editor for you local machine.

Take a look at Computerconfiguration* - Windows settings* - Scripts* - Startup* or Shutdown*

Here you can insert your script. It will be run with SYSTEM rights.

* = i don't know if the wording is correct cause i'm currently in front of an german windows.

I can think of an easy way to do this (I think) but I'm not sure I would want anyone knowing how to do something like this...

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

• Developers

Its pretty strait forward:

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RUN", "MyProgram", "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I'm pretty sure that runs it after the user has logged on? Am I mistaken?

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

• Developers

Jos, what is the difference between this and HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

HKLM runs the script for all users and HKCU only for the user of this hyve.

I'm pretty sure that runs it after the user has logged on? Am I mistaken?

Correct, this will shell the script at logontime. Any needed at boot time will have to be installed as a service.

Jos ;)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Look at the FQA's stickied at the top of this forum. Iam pretty sure this is one of them.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I looked through the stickied FAQs (I assume that is what you meant) but could not find anything.

Yea, looks like somebody totally screwed up that first post. Wondering why Jon did that. ;)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.