Sleep Inaccuracy

Hi I've done some research on the forums on how to get more precise sleep times (down to the millisecond). Basically, I have a very simple script that does something like this:

Send("{SPACE}")
Sleep(120)

and looping

It seems like someone has found a solution, but I have no idea how to incorporate it into my script. Can anyone help me out?

Solution

• Moderators

Hi I've done some research on the forums on how to get more precise sleep times (down to the millisecond). Basically, I have a very simple script that does something like this:

Send("{SPACE}")
Sleep(120)

and looping

It seems like someone has found a solution, but I have no idea how to incorporate it into my script. Can anyone help me out?

Solution

:D You are dealing with milliseconds (Your example shows 120 milliseconds).

How much more precise are you looking at getting? There were some options that were shown in the example forum a while back that did it in nanoseconds I believe, but they didn't work on Vista/Win7 ( or maybe it was x64, can't remember ) I believe.

Edit:

Found the link:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77905

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

How much more precise are you looking at getting? There were some options that were shown in the example forum a while back that did it in nanoseconds I believe, but they didn't work on Vista/Win7 ( or maybe it was x64, can't remember ) I believe.

Believe me, they DO work. I use them all the time. Win7 x64.

Hi thanks for that link. I still don't know how to incorporate it into my script though. How would I replace the simple sleep(x) with the more precise sleep? Here is what my script looks like.

1Global $Paused
HotKeySet("{F9}", "Pause")
HotKeySet("{F8}", "Spam")
HotKeySet("{F12}", "End")

While 1
    Wend

Func Spam()
    While 1
Send("{SPACE}")
Sleep(970)
Send("{SPACE}")
Sleep(820)
Send("{SPACE}")
Sleep(5000)
    Wend
EndFunc

Func Pause()
while 1
sleep(100)
wend
endfunc 

Func End()
Exit
EndFunc

Just curious, but when would you use a nanosecond test.

Imagine it need to be a relative short test, or the multi tasking OS is going to mess with your results.

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

• Moderators

can anyone help me?

You seriously think anyone wants to help you with a function called spam? We get enough of that without helping people that can't figure out how to implement functions that are spelled out for them.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.