Script paused

JohnOne

Not sure if this is the correct place, so I apologise if it is.

I just observed autoit3 script behaviour I have never seen before

after recieving an error.

The error was "variable used without being declared"

Normally when I recieve an error like this, the script exits after confirming the dialogue box, but it did not this time, it just paused it, and carried on after I unpaused it.

Just wondering if its normal ? v3.3.4.0

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Were you running or compiling it from SciTE? Can you post a short script and the conditions to run it under that reproduces the issue?

:D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

The actuall code is to large to post up here, and Its not my work so dont have permission to post anyway.

But heres what it was doing when it happened

Local $avar1[3][3] = [[2, 3, 4],[0, 1, 2],[5, 6, 7]] ;these are gotten from an ini file that does not get altered by the code.
Local $ivar = 1

For $i = 0 To UBound($avar1) - 1
    If $ivar >= $avar1[$i][0] And $ivar <= $avar1[$i][1] Then
        $ivar2 = $avar1[$i][2]
    EndIf
Next

Switch $ivar2
    Case $ivar2 = 4
        MsgBox(0,"","Four")
    Case $ivar2 = 2 ;error was here, $ivar2 used without being declared
        MsgBox(0,"","Two") 
    Case $ivar2 = 7
        MsgBox(0,"","Seven")
    Case Else
        MsgBox(0,"","None")
EndSwitch

It happened twice, but over a period of a few hours while the script was running.

I was actually testing the script on 3.3.4.0 with a fresh install of it on another laptop, before upgrading my 3.3.2.0 on my desktop.

EDIT: was running uncompiled from double click .au3.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

In general, we don't want the original script posted to the forum. A short demo that has the same issue is always preferred.

Check variable scopes. You used LOCAL in your example. Make sure the declaration is within the scope of the code that uses the variable.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I agree with both posts, and see what should be done as good practice

But this post is not about that, it is about the pausing and not

exiting of the script.

Ive just never seen it before, and thought I'd mention it.

I thought it was pretty cool, and had hoped it was a great new addition to autoit3.

Well, first of all good catch for Thanubis. I didn't pay any attention to that Switch/Case syntax at all. The effect of using compares in the Switch Case was to get the Boolean result of the compare "$ivar = 7", and then check if that True/False matched $ivar (because it was the Switch variable). There might be some use in that, but it would be twisted.

As for the failure message, there is another version: "WARNING: $ivar: possibly used before declaration."

The "possibly" version of this message is not fatal. Here is an example script that causes it:

_TestFunc(True)
ConsoleWrite("$TestVar = " & $TestVar & @LF)

Func _TestFunc($Input)
    Global $TestVar = $Input
EndFunc

Bad practice to declare Globals in conditional statement or functions (which may or may not have run before use of the variable), but not fatal as long as something DOES declare it before use. Also bad practice, but not fatal:

Assign("TestVar", True, 2)

This version is fatal because the variable is not declared anywhere before use:

_TestFunc(True)

Func _TestFunc($Input)
    ; Do nothing
EndFunc

So maybe you dropped the word "possibly" out of your error message?