Problems with _FileWriteLog & FileOpen after update

Hello all. Forgive my ignorance. I was working on a script and all was working fine and then decided to update to current version to apply logging of new OS (Win 7). Well to my surprise my script no longer logs. So I did a basic script for testing and sure enough I can't get it to work.

Here is test script:

#include <File.au3>

if Not FileExists(@ScriptDir & "\log.txt") Then
    _FileCreate(@ScriptDir & "\log.txt")
EndIf

FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "\log.txt", 2)
_FileWriteLog(@ScriptDir & "\log.txt", "testing 1")
_FileWriteLog(@ScriptDir & "\log.txt", "testing 2")

According to help file:

Return Value

Success: Returns a file "handle" for use with subsequent file functions.

Failure: Returns -1 if error occurs.

So I tested with a message box and gave FileOpen a variable and it returned a 1. So maybe this is where I'm having issues?

I also did a full uninstall and reinstall to make sure I didn't do something wrong in the upgrade. Any help is appreciated.

I think you mix up two things.

Fileopen returns a handle. But if you never use the handle in your script then this is not needed.

_FileWriteLog doesn't use a handle. So it opens the file, writes the text and closes the file.

Thus having said I would change your script to:

#include <File.au3>

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I think you mix up two things.

Fileopen returns a handle. But if you never use the handle in your script then this is not needed.

_FileWriteLog doesn't use a handle. So it opens the file, writes the text and closes the file.

Thus having said I would change your script to:

#include <File.au3>

That worked great! Thanks for the tip. Creates the file and all so no need for all that extra junk. Another question that I now have is how do I clear the contents in the beginning so that it creates a new log everytime? That's why I thought I had to use FileOpen with mode 2 to erase the previous contents.

Just delete the file with FileDelete.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Just delete the file with FileDelete.

LOL. Well that makes sense and is an easy solution. Many thanks for your quick responses and help. Now I can move forward with my script. Just weird that it worked before the update. But no matter since was going about it all wrong anyways. :D

There have been some changes in the latest versions of AutoIt regarding file handling. All changes (including script breaking changes) are documented here.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki