Extended Message Box - New Version: 16 Feb 24

Melba23

• Moderators

JockoDundee,

Adding a final "portemanteau" parameter to the function is never going to happen. Given the number of optional parameters that would need to be added to the calling line to arrive at this point, I do not see this as "simplifying" the operation for new users - and experienced ones such as yourself should be able to cope with the UDF as it is currently exists. I think the single "BitOR" parameter for the buttons (and icon) is as far as I am prepared to go.

mike 1950r,

For me there is no such difference in colouring between the standard MsgBox and an ExtMsgBox - I see a single unified background colour. Anyway, there are already several colour options in the UDF and I am not going to add any more.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

3 hours ago, Melba23 said:

For me there is no such difference in colouring between the standard MsgBox and an ExtMsgBox

Here are two screenshots, 1st of ext msgbox 2nd of the system msgbox, just to show the difference in the background.

cheers mike

Bild1.jpg

Bild2.jpg

• Moderators

mike1950r.

I believed you - but that must be something in your system settings.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

mike1950r,

Same here - must be a graphics card thing. Anyway, what you see is what you get with the UDF - I am not adding any further colour options, sorry.

M23

P.S And I intend to move this whole thread to the main EMB thread soon, so do not be surprised if it apparently vanishes!

Edited by Melba23

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

matwachich,

Sorry, but no. The UDF is a replacement for the standard MsgBox with small(ish) button texts. But if you want vertically-stacked buttons, feel free to plunder the code of the UDF to write your own version.

M23

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

Eleven years in, let me add my high praise for this UDF -- and for the helpful and dignified way in which @Melba23 has presided over this thread for all that time! I've been aware of _ExtMsgBox for some years, but, regretfully, have not tried it until today. It's wonderful!

I tried searching the thread for an answer to this question, but didn't find one -- so here goes. In the all of 7 hours that I've played with the UDF, I've found that text centers properly in the message box when $vIcon = 0 (no icon); but when I opt for one of the icons, the text seems to be pushed off-center, to the right, by the icon's pixel-width. It's easy to compensate for this by padding the message text with blank space, but I wonder if there's a more elegant solution or -- more likely -- if I'm missing something. Thanks in advance!

Edited by CarlD

• Moderators

CarlD,

Glad you find the UDF useful.

The text is indeed displaced to the right when an icon is used - just as in the standard MS MsgBox dialog. Here is a short script to show this:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

#include "ExtMsgBox.au3"

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "No icon", "Here is a bit of longish text to display!")

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL + $MB_ICONINFORMATION, "With icon", "Here is a bit of longish text to display!")

_ExtMsgBox(0, "OK", "With icon", "Here is a bit of longish text to display!")

_ExtMsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, "OK", "With icon", "Here is a bit of longish text to display!")

As you can see (I hope!) both the standard and UDF dialogs widen and shift the text to the right when there is an icon displayed. So if you really, really want the text to be absolutely centered in the dialog when an icon is used, you need to pad the text as you mention, although it will take a degree of experimentation in sizing the additional blank space to get it perfect. Personally i would just leave it as it is - MS seem happy to do so!

M23

Edited by Melba23
Speeling!

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Melba23 said:

both the standard and UDF dialogs widen and shift the text to the right when there is an icon displayed.

Yes, I see that in your example, and thanks for confirming. I don't think I'd even notice the shift with left- or right-justified text, but with centered text it throws the balance off, to my eye. In any case it's a trifle, easily addressed (pad the text, or just ignore). Thanks again for a super UDF!

• 1 month later...

Just a little suggestion:

Do not show again checkbox should not be part of the configuration, but a parameter of _ExtMsgBox (to set it on a per-msgbox basis, not globaly on the application)

Cheers ;)

Note: I know it's big work... not really a request, just a suggestion

• Moderators

matwachich,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I will not be amending the code. You can very easily set/cancel the relevant parameter using _ExtMsgBoxSet before/after creating the ExtMsgBox which required the checkbox so I see no need to change the current method. Sorry about that.

M23

Spoiler

I love this UDF, and your coding style and naming convention for variables. The _ExtMsgBox parameter of $bMain = True was the clincher for me. The countdown timer from $vIcon = 128 was the gravy.

I made a tweak to it to allow for specifying a title bar icon file so that the _ExtMsgBox can match the parent window's icon. I had to do it in a manual sort of way because trying to get the icon out of the parent window was a bit much to do for running out of SciTE and running from a compiled exe. This did not require my exe to carry the ico file alongside it for distribution to other PCs.

Overview of _ExtMsgBox changes:

1. Appended to the function comments, parameters section:

;                   $sTitlebarIconFile    -> "" (default) = Use the generic AutoIt icon
;                                      File path to the icon file to use

2. Appended the new optional parameter to the Func line:

Func _ExtMsgBox($vIcon, $vButton, $sTitle, $sText, $iTimeOut = 0, $hWin = "", $iVPos = 0, $bMain = True, $sTitlebarIconFile = "")

3. Added this after the GUICreate line:

If $sTitlebarIconFile <> "" And FileExists($sTitlebarIconFile) = True Then
        GUISetIcon($sTitlebarIconFile) ; will change icon
    EndIf

Modified function in its entirety:

; #FUNCTION# =========================================================================================================
; Name...........: _ExtMsgBox
; Description ...: Generates user defined message boxes centred on a GUI, the desktop, or at defined coordinates
; Syntax.........: _ExtMsgBox ($vIcon, $vButton, $sTitle, $sText, [$iTimeout, [$hWin, [$iVPos, [$bMain = True]]]])
; Parameters ....: $vIcon   -> Icon to use:
;                                      0   - No icon
;                                      8   - UAC
;                                      16  - Stop         )
;                                      32  - Query        ) or equivalent $MB/$EMB_ICON constant
;                                      48  - Exclamation  )
;                                      64  - Information  )
;                                      128 - Countdown digits if $iTimeout set
;                                      Any other numeric value returns Error 1
;                              If set to the name of an ico or exe file, the main icon within will be displayed
;                                  If another icon from the file is required, add a trailing "|" followed by the icon index
;                              If set to the name of an image file, that image will be displayed
;                   $vButton  -> Button text separated with "|" character. " " = no buttons.
;                                      Putting a user-defined character (default = "~") before the text indicates button to be focused
;                                         Two focused buttons returns Error 2. A single button is always focused
;                                      Use of standard Windows keyboard shortcut by adding "&" before the button text is still available
;                                          Note UDF focused button character must be placed first, e.g. "~&Yes|&No"
;                                      Can also use $MB_ button numeric constants to define buttons: 0 = "OK", 1 = "~OK|Cancel",
;                                          2 = "~Abort|Retry|Ignore", 3 = "~Yes|No|Cancel", 4 = "~Yes|No", 5 = "~Retry|Cancel",
;                                          6 = "~Cancel|Try Again|Continue".  Other values return Error 3
;                                      Default max width of 370 gives 1-4 buttons @ width 80, 5 @ width 60, 6 @ width 50
;                                      Min button width set at 50, so unless default widths changed 7 buttons will return Error 4
;                   $sTitle   -> The title of the message box.
;                                      Procrustean truncation if too long to fit
;                   $sText    -> The text to be displayed. Long lines will wrap. The box depth is adjusted to fit.
;                                      If unbroken character strings in $sText too long for set max width,
;                                      EMB expands to set absolute width. Error 6 if still not able to fit
;                   $iTimeout -> Timeout delay before EMB closes. 0 = no timeout (Default).
;                                      If no buttons and no timeout set, timeout automatically set to 5
;                                      If timeout value negative, reset to 0
;                   $hWin     -> Handle of the GUI in which EMB is centred
;                                      If GUI  hidden or no handle passed - EMB centred in desktop (Default)
;                                      If not valid window handle, interpreted as horizontal coordinate for EMB location
;                   $iVPos    -> Vertical coordinate for EMB location
;                                      Only valid if $hWin parameter interpreted as horizontal coordinate (Default = 0)
;                   $bMain    -> True (default) = Adjust dialog position to ensure dialog positioned on main screen
;                                      False = Dialog positioned at user-defined coords, which can be on other screens
;                   $sTitlebarIconFile    -> "" (default) = Use the generic AutoIt icon
;                                      File path to the icon file to use
; Requirement(s).: v3.2.12.1 or higher
; Return values .: Success: Returns 1-based index of the button pressed, counting from the LEFT.
;                           Returns 0 if closed by a "CloseGUI" event (i.e. click [X] or press Escape)
;                           Returns 9 if timed out
;                           If "Not again" checkbox is present and checked, return value is negated
;                  Failure: Returns -1 and sets @error as follows:
;                               1 - Icon parameter error
;                               2 - Multiple default button error
;                               3 - Button constant error
;                               4 - Too many buttons to fit in max available EMB width
;                               5 - Button text too long for max available button width
;                               6 - StringSize error
;                               7 - GUI creation error
; Remarks .......; If $bMain set EMB adjusted to appear on main screen closest to required position
; Author ........: Melba23, based on some original code by photonbuddy & YellowLab
; Example........; Yes
;=====================================================================================================================
Func _ExtMsgBox($vIcon, $vButton, $sTitle, $sText, $iTimeOut = 0, $hWin = "", $iVPos = 0, $bMain = True, $sTitlebarIconFile = "")

; Set default sizes for message box
    Local $iMsg_Width_Max = $g_aEMB_Settings[6], $iMsg_Width_Min = 150, $iMsg_Width_Abs = $g_aEMB_Settings[7]
    Local $iMsg_Height_Min = 100
    Local $iButton_Width_Def = 80, $iButton_Width_Min = 50

; Declare local variables
    Local $iParent_Win = 0, $fCountdown = False, $cCheckbox, $aLabel_Size, $aRet, $iRet_Value, $iHpos
    Local $sButton_Text, $iButton_Width, $iButton_Xpos

; Validate timeout value
    $iTimeOut = Int(Number($iTimeOut))
    If $iTimeOut < 0 Then
        $iTimeOut = 0
    EndIf
    ; Set automatic timeout if no buttons and no timeout set
    If $vButton == " " And $iTimeOut = 0 Then
        $iTimeOut = 5
    EndIf

; Check for icon
    Local $iIcon_Style = 0
    Local $iIcon_Reduction = 36
    Local $sDLL = "user32.dll"
    Local $sImg = ""
    ; Cancel numeric countdown if no timeout
    If $iTimeOut = 0 And $vIcon = 128 Then
        $vIcon = 0
    EndIf
    If StringIsDigit($vIcon) Then
        Switch $vIcon
            Case 0
                $iIcon_Reduction = 0
            Case 8
                $sDLL = "imageres.dll"
                $iIcon_Style = 78
            Case 16 ; Stop
                $iIcon_Style = -4
            Case 32 ; Query
                $iIcon_Style = -3
            Case 48 ; Exclam
                $iIcon_Style = -2
            Case 64 ; Info
                $iIcon_Style = -5
            Case 128 ; Countdown
                If $iTimeOut > 0 Then
                    $fCountdown = True
                EndIf
            Case Else
                Return SetError(1, 0, -1)
        EndSwitch
    Else
        If StringInStr($vIcon, "|") Then
            $iIcon_Style = StringRegExpReplace($vIcon, "(.*)\|", "")
            $sDLL = StringRegExpReplace($vIcon, "\|.*$", "")
        Else
            Switch StringLower(StringRight($vIcon, 3))
                Case "exe", "ico"
                    $sDLL = $vIcon
                Case "bmp", "jpg", "gif", "png"
                    $sImg = $vIcon
            EndSwitch
        EndIf
    EndIf

; Check if two buttons are seeking focus
    Local $sFocus_Char = $g_aEMB_Settings[13]
    StringReplace($vButton, $sFocus_Char, "")
    If @extended > 1 Then
        Return SetError(2, 0, -1)
    EndIf

; Check if using constants or text
    If IsNumber($vButton) Then
        Switch $vButton
            Case 0
                $vButton = "OK"
            Case 1
                $vButton = $sFocus_Char & "OK|Cancel"
            Case 2
                $vButton = $sFocus_Char & "Abort|Retry|Ignore"
            Case 3
                $vButton = $sFocus_Char & "Yes|No|Cancel"
            Case 4
                $vButton = $sFocus_Char & "Yes|No"
            Case 5
                $vButton = $sFocus_Char & "Retry|Cancel"
            Case 6
                $vButton = $sFocus_Char & "Cancel|Try Again|Continue"
            Case Else
                Return SetError(3, 0, -1)
        EndSwitch
    EndIf

; Set default values
    Local $aButton_Text[1] = [0]
    Local $iButton_Width_Req = 0
    ; Get required button size
    If $vButton <> " " Then
        ; Split button text into individual strings
        $aButton_Text = StringSplit($vButton, "|")

; Get absolute available width for each button
        Local $iButton_Width_Abs = Floor((($iMsg_Width_Max - 10) / $aButton_Text[0]) - 10)
        ; Error if below min button size
        If $iButton_Width_Abs < $iButton_Width_Min Then
            Return SetError(4, 0, -1)
        EndIf
        ; Determine required size of buttons to fit text
        Local $iButton_Width_Text = 0
        ; Loop through button text
        For $i = 1 To $aButton_Text[0]
            ; Remove a possible leading focus character
            $sButton_Text = StringRegExpReplace($aButton_Text[$i], "^" & $sFocus_Char & "?(.*)$", "$1")
            ; Check on font to use
            If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 4) Then
                $aRet = _StringSize($sButton_Text, $g_aEMB_Settings[10], Default, Default, $g_aEMB_Settings[11])
            Else
                $aRet = _StringSize($sButton_Text, $g_aEMB_Settings[4], Default, Default, $g_aEMB_Settings[5])
            EndIf
            If IsArray($aRet) And $aRet[2] + 10 > $iButton_Width_Text Then
                ; Find max button width required for text
                $iButton_Width_Text = $aRet[2] + 10
            EndIf
        Next
        ; Error if text would make required button width > absolute available
        If $iButton_Width_Text > $iButton_Width_Abs Then
            Return SetError(5, 0, -1)
        EndIf
        ; Determine button size to use - assume default
        $iButton_Width = $iButton_Width_Def
        ; If text requires wider then default
        If $iButton_Width_Text > $iButton_Width_Def Then
            ; Increase - cannot be > absolute
            $iButton_Width = $iButton_Width_Text
        EndIf
        ; If absolute < default
        If $iButton_Width_Abs < $iButton_Width_Def Then
            ; If text > min (text must be < abs)
            If $iButton_Width_Text > $iButton_Width_Min Then
                ; Set text width
                $iButton_Width = $iButton_Width_Text
            Else
                ; Set min width
                $iButton_Width = $iButton_Width_Min
            EndIf
        EndIf
        ; Determine GUI width required for all buttons at this width
        $iButton_Width_Req = (($iButton_Width + 10) * $aButton_Text[0]) + 10
    EndIf

; Set tab expansion flag if required
    Local $iExpTab = Default
    If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 8) Then
        $iExpTab = 1
    EndIf

; Get message label size
    While 1
        Local $aLabel_Pos = _StringSize($sText, $g_aEMB_Settings[4], Default, $iExpTab, $g_aEMB_Settings[5], $iMsg_Width_Max - 20 - $iIcon_Reduction)
        If @error Then
            If $iMsg_Width_Max >= $iMsg_Width_Abs Then
                Return SetError(6, 0, -1)
            Else
                $iMsg_Width_Max += 10
            EndIf
        Else
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    WEnd
    ; Reset text to wrapped version
    $sText = $aLabel_Pos[0]
    ; Set label size
    Local $iLabel_Width = $aLabel_Pos[2]
    Local $iLabel_Height = $aLabel_Pos[3]

; Set GUI size
    Local $iMsg_Width = $iLabel_Width + 20 + $iIcon_Reduction
    ; Increase width to fit buttons if needed
    If $iButton_Width_Req > $iMsg_Width Then $iMsg_Width = $iButton_Width_Req
    If $iMsg_Width < $iMsg_Width_Min Then
        $iMsg_Width = $iMsg_Width_Min
        $iLabel_Width = $iMsg_Width_Min - 20
    EndIf

; Check if title sets width
    Local $iDialog_Width = $iMsg_Width
    ; Size title
    Local $aTitleSize = _StringSize($sTitle, $g_aEMB_Settings[10], Default, Default, $g_aEMB_Settings[11])

; Check if title wider than text
    If $aTitleSize[2] > ($iMsg_Width - 70) Then ; Assume icon reduction of 50 regardless of icon setting
        ; Adjust dialog width up to absolute dialog width value
        $iDialog_Width = ( ($aTitleSize[2] < ($g_aEMB_Settings[7] - $g_aEMB_Settings[12])) ? ($aTitleSize[2] + $g_aEMB_Settings[12]) : ($g_aEMB_Settings[7]) )
    EndIf

Local $iMsg_Height = $iLabel_Height + 35
    ; Increase height if buttons present
    If $vButton <> " " Then
        $iMsg_Height += 30
    EndIf
    ; Increase height if checkbox required
    If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 16) Then
        $iMsg_Height += 40
    EndIf
    If $iMsg_Height < $iMsg_Height_Min Then $iMsg_Height = $iMsg_Height_Min

; If only single line, lower label to to centre text on icon
    Local $iLabel_Vert = 20
    If StringInStr($sText, @CRLF) = 0 Then $iLabel_Vert = 27

; Check for taskbar button style required
    If Mod($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 2) = 1 Then ; Hide taskbar button so create as child
        If IsHWnd($hWin) Then
            $iParent_Win = $hWin ; Make child of that window
        Else
            $iParent_Win = WinGetHandle(AutoItWinGetTitle()) ; Make child of AutoIt window
        EndIf
    EndIf

; Determine EMB location
    If $hWin = "" Then
        ; No handle or position passed so centre on screen
        $iHpos = (@DesktopWidth - $iDialog_Width) / 2
        $iVPos = (@DesktopHeight - $iMsg_Height) / 2
    Else
        If IsHWnd($hWin) Then
            ; Get parent GUI pos if visible
            If BitAND(WinGetState($hWin), 2) Then
                ; Set EMB to centre on parent
                Local $aPos = WinGetPos($hWin)
                $iHpos = ($aPos[2] - $iDialog_Width) / 2 + $aPos[0] - 3
                $iVPos = ($aPos[3] - $iMsg_Height) / 2 + $aPos[1] - 20
            Else
                ; Set EMB to centre om screen
                $iHpos = (@DesktopWidth - $iDialog_Width) / 2
                $iVPos = (@DesktopHeight - $iMsg_Height) / 2
            EndIf
        Else
            ; Assume parameter is horizontal coord
            $iHpos = $hWin ; $iVpos already set
        EndIf
    EndIf

; If dialog is to appear on main display
    If $bMain Then
        ; Dialog is visible horizontally
        If $iHpos < 10 Then $iHpos = 10
        If $iHpos + $iDialog_Width > @DesktopWidth - 20 Then $iHpos = @DesktopWidth - 20 - $iDialog_Width
        ; Then vertically
        If $iVPos < 10 Then $iVPos = 10
        If $iVPos + $iMsg_Height > @DesktopHeight - 60 Then $iVPos = @DesktopHeight - 60 - $iMsg_Height
    EndIf

; Remove TOPMOST extended style if required
    Local $iExtStyle = 0x00000008 ; $WS_TOPMOST
    If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 2) Then $iExtStyle = -1

; Create GUI with $WS_POPUPWINDOW, $WS_CAPTION style and required extended style
    Local $hMsgGUI = GUICreate($sTitle, $iDialog_Width, $iMsg_Height, $iHpos, $iVPos, BitOR(0x80880000, 0x00C00000), $iExtStyle, $iParent_Win)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(7, 0, -1)
    EndIf
    If $sTitlebarIconFile <> "" And FileExists($sTitlebarIconFile) = True Then
        GUISetIcon($sTitlebarIconFile) ; will change icon
    EndIf

; Check if titlebar icon hidden - actually uses transparent icon from AutoIt executable
    If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 32) Then
        If @Compiled Then
            GUISetIcon(@ScriptName, -2, $hMsgGUI)
        Else
            GUISetIcon(@AutoItExe, -2, $hMsgGUI)
        EndIf
    EndIf
    If $g_aEMB_Settings[2] <> Default Then GUISetBkColor($g_aEMB_Settings[2])

; Check if user closure permitted
    If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 64) Then
        $aRet = DllCall("User32.dll", "hwnd", "GetSystemMenu", "hwnd", $hMsgGUI, "int", 0)
        Local $hSysMenu = $aRet[0]
        DllCall("User32.dll", "int", "RemoveMenu", "hwnd", $hSysMenu, "int", 0xF060, "int", 0) ; $SC_CLOSE
        DllCall("User32.dll", "int", "DrawMenuBar", "hwnd", $hMsgGUI)
    EndIf

; Set centring parameter
    Local $iLabel_Style = 0 ; $SS_LEFT
    If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[1], 1) = 1 Then
        $iLabel_Style = 1 ; $SS_CENTER
    ElseIf BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[1], 2) = 2 Then
        $iLabel_Style = 2 ; $SS_RIGHT
    EndIf

; Create label
    GUICtrlCreateLabel($sText, 10 + $iIcon_Reduction, $iLabel_Vert, $iLabel_Width, $iLabel_Height, $iLabel_Style)
    GUICtrlSetFont(-1, $g_aEMB_Settings[4], Default, Default, $g_aEMB_Settings[5])
    If $g_aEMB_Settings[3] <> Default Then GUICtrlSetColor(-1, $g_aEMB_Settings[3])

; Create checkbox if required
    If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 16) Then
        Local $sAgain = " Do not show again"
        Local $iY = $iLabel_Vert + $iLabel_Height + 10
        ; Create checkbox
        $cCheckbox = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("", 10 + $iIcon_Reduction, $iY, 20, 20)
        ; Write text in separate checkbox label
        Local $cCheckLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sAgain, 20, 20, 20, 20)
        GUICtrlSetColor($cCheckLabel, $g_aEMB_Settings[3])
        GUICtrlSetBkColor($cCheckLabel, $g_aEMB_Settings[2])
        ; Set font if required and size checkbox label text
        If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 4) Then
            $aLabel_Size = _StringSize($sAgain)
        Else
            $aLabel_Size = _StringSize($sAgain, $g_aEMB_Settings[4], 400, 0, $g_aEMB_Settings[5])
            GUICtrlSetFont($cCheckLabel, $g_aEMB_Settings[4], 400, 0, $g_aEMB_Settings[5])
        EndIf
        ; Move and resize checkbox label to fit
        $iY = ($iY + 10) - ($aLabel_Size[3] - 4) / 2
        ControlMove($hMsgGUI, "", $cCheckLabel, 30 + $iIcon_Reduction, $iY, $iMsg_Width - (30 + $iIcon_Reduction), $aLabel_Size[3])
    EndIf

; Create icon, image or countdown timer
    If $fCountdown = True Then
        Local $cCountdown_Label = GUICtrlCreateLabel(StringFormat("%2s", $iTimeOut), 10, 20, 32, 32)
        GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 18, Default, Default, $g_aEMB_Settings[5])
        GUICtrlSetColor(-1, $g_aEMB_Settings[3])
    Else
        If $iIcon_Reduction Then
        Switch StringLower(StringRight($sImg, 3))
            Case "bmp", "jpg", "gif"
                GUICtrlCreatePic($sImg, 4, 4, 32, 32)
            Case "png"
                __EMB_ShowPNG($sImg)
            Case Else
                GUICtrlCreateIcon($sDLL, $iIcon_Style, 4, 4)
        EndSwitch
    EndIf
    EndIf

; Create buttons
    Local $aButtonCID[$aButton_Text[0] + 1] = [9999] ; Placeholder prevent problems if no buttons
    If $vButton <> " " Then

; Calculate button horizontal start
        If $aButton_Text[0] = 1 Then
            If BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[1], 4) = 4 Then
                ; Single centred button
                $iButton_Xpos = ($iMsg_Width - $iButton_Width) / 2
            Else
                ; Single offset button
                $iButton_Xpos = $iMsg_Width - $iButton_Width - 10
            EndIf
        Else
            ; Multiple centred buttons
            $iButton_Xpos = ($iMsg_Width - ($iButton_Width_Req - 20)) / 2
        EndIf

; Set default button style
        Local $iDef_Button_Style = 0
        ; Work through button list
        For $i = 0 To $aButton_Text[0] - 1
            Local $iButton_Text = $aButton_Text[$i + 1]
            ; Set default button
            If $aButton_Text[0] = 1 Then ; Only 1 button
                $iDef_Button_Style = 0x0001
            ElseIf StringLeft($iButton_Text, 1) = $sFocus_Char Then ; Look for focus character
                $iDef_Button_Style = 0x0001
                $aButton_Text[$i + 1] = StringTrimLeft($iButton_Text, 1)
            EndIf
            ; Draw button
            $aButtonCID[$i + 1] = GUICtrlCreateButton($aButton_Text[$i + 1], $iButton_Xpos + ($i * ($iButton_Width + 10)), $iMsg_Height - 35, $iButton_Width, 25, $iDef_Button_Style)
            ; Set focus if default
            If $iDef_Button_Style Then
                GUICtrlSetState($aButtonCID[$i + 1], 256) ; $GUI_FOCUS
            EndIf
            ; Set font if required
            If Not BitAND($g_aEMB_Settings[0], 4) Then GUICtrlSetFont(-1, $g_aEMB_Settings[4], 400, 0, $g_aEMB_Settings[5])
            ; Reset default style parameter
            $iDef_Button_Style = 0
        Next
    EndIf

; Show GUI
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hMsgGUI)

; Begin timeout counter
    Local $iTimeout_Begin = TimerInit()
    Local $iCounter = 0

; Declare GUIGetMsg return array here and not in loop
    Local $aMsg

; Set MessageLoop mode
    Local $iOrgMode = Opt('GUIOnEventMode', 0)

While 1
        $aMsg = GUIGetMsg(1)

If $aMsg[1] = $hMsgGUI Then
            Select
                Case $aMsg[0] = -3 ; $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                    $iRet_Value = 0
                    ExitLoop
                Case Else
                    ; Check for other buttons
                    For $i = 1 To UBound($aButtonCID) - 1
                        If $aMsg[0] = $aButtonCID[$i] Then
                            $iRet_Value = $i
                            ; No point in looking further
                            ExitLoop 2
                        EndIf
                    Next
            EndSelect
        EndIf

; Timeout if required
        If TimerDiff($iTimeout_Begin) / 1000 >= $iTimeOut And $iTimeOut > 0 Then
            $iRet_Value = 9
            ExitLoop
        EndIf

; Show countdown if required
        If $fCountdown = True Then
            Local $iTimeRun = Int(TimerDiff($iTimeout_Begin) / 1000)
            If $iTimeRun <> $iCounter Then
                $iCounter = $iTimeRun
                GUICtrlSetData($cCountdown_Label, StringFormat("%2s", $iTimeOut - $iCounter))
            EndIf
        EndIf

WEnd

; Reset original mode
    Opt('GUIOnEventMode', $iOrgMode)

If GUICtrlRead($cCheckbox) = 1 Then
        ; Negate the return value
        $iRet_Value *= -1
    EndIf

GUIDelete($hMsgGUI)

Return $iRet_Value

EndFunc   ;==>_ExtMsgBox

Example Usage:

Local $hwnd = WinActivate("My Test App")

_ExtMsgBoxSet( _
            1, _    ;No Taskbar Button, and makes it modal to the parent window
            $SS_LEFT, _ ;text justification
            -1, _   ;colour for the message box background.  Default = system colour
            -1, _   ;colour for the message box text.  Default = system colour
            -1, _   ;font size in points to use for the message box. Default = system font size
            -1, _   ;font to use for the message box. Default = system font
            Default, _  ;Normal max width for EMB.   Default/min = 370 pixels - max = @DesktopWidth - 20
            Default, _  ;Absolute max width for EMB. Default/min = 370 pixels - max = @DesktopWidth - 20
            "~")    ;Character to define focused button. Default = "~"

Local $sMsg = "Auto closing in 10 seconds." & @CRLF & "Do you want to leave it open?"
        $iMsgboxResult = _ExtMsgBox( _
            128, _  ;makes it have a countdown timer label instead of an icon
            "~Yes|No", _ ;buttons do display, with Yes as default focus
            WinGetTitle($hwnd), _ ;title for msgbox
            $sMsg, _    ;text to put on msgbox
            10, _ ;timeout that will be counted down
            $hwnd, _ ;window to center over
            Default, _ ;has to be Default or 0 since we are passing in a hwnd above
            False, _    ;center on hwnd regardless of which monitor it is on
            "MyTest.ico") ;title bar icon path

If $iMsgboxResult = 2 Or $iMsgboxResult = 9 Then ;2 = 2nd button "No", 9 = timed out
            Exit
        EndIf

Edited by Decibel

• Moderators

Decibel,

Thank you for that - I will take a look at the code and see how easy it would be to incorporate that functionality into the UDF.

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

Decibel,

My take on your suggestion: Set a global icon for all ExtMsgBoxes with _ExtMsgBoxSet, with the possibility to override this for specific dialogs: 

And an example script to show it working:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

#include "ExtMsgBox_Icon.au3"

Global $aAutoItFolder = StringLeft(@AutoItExe, StringInStr(@AutoItExe, "\", Default, -1))

$hTest_GUI = GUICreate("EMB Test", 200, 120)
$cButton1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test 1", 20, 20, 60, 30)
$cButton2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test 2", 120, 20, 60, 30)
$cButton3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test 3", 20, 70, 60, 30)
$cButton4 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test 4", 120, 70, 60, 30)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hTest_GUI)

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $cButton1
            ; Default BLUE Autoit titlebar icon
            _ExtMsgBoxSet(Default)
            _ExtMsgBox(0, "OK", "Test 1", "Basic EMB" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "Blue AutoIt titlebar icon" , 0, $hTest_GUI)
            _ExtMsgBoxSet(Default)
        Case $cButton2
            ; NO titlebar icon
            _ExtMsgBoxSet(32)
            _ExtMsgBox(0, "OK", "Test 2", "No titlebar icon" , 0, $hTest_GUI)
            _ExtMsgBoxSet(Default)
        Case $cButton3
            ; Global YELLOW AutoIt titlebar icon
            _ExtMsgBoxSet(0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, $aAutoItFolder & "Icons\MyAutoIt3_Yellow.ico")
            _ExtMsgBox(0, "OK", "Test 3", "Global Yellow AutoIt titlebar icon" , 0, $hTest_GUI)
            _ExtMsgBoxSet(Default)
        Case $cButton4
            ; Override global setting with RED AutoIt titlebar icon
            _ExtMsgBoxSet(0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, $aAutoItFolder & "Icons\MyAutoIt3_Yellow.ico")
            _ExtMsgBox(0 & ";" & $aAutoItFolder & "Icons\MyAutoIt3_Red.ico", "OK", "Test 4", "Override Red AutoIt titlebar icon" , 0, $hTest_GUI)
            _ExtMsgBoxSet(Default)
    EndSwitch

WEnd

Let me know what you think - and of course other opinions are always welcome too.

M23

Edited by Melba23
Removed Beta code

Spoiler

@Melba23, I'm totally facepalming right now. Of course _ExtMsgBoxSet is where it should live so that setting persists in all subsequent _ExtMsgBox calls. Nicely done.

I didn't fully understand how to leverage _ExtMsgBoxSet that first night and pry barred a fix into _ExtMsgBox. Always learning.

• Moderators

Decibel,

Glad you like it - I will release a new version soon.

M23

Spoiler

• Melba23 changed the title to Extended Message Box - New Version: 19 Nov 21
  • Moderators

[NEW VERSION] 19 Nov 21

Added: The ability to set a specific icon on the dialog titlebar - either globally via a new parameter in _ExtMsgBoxSet or locally via the $vIcon parameter of _ExtMsgBox.

New UDF and examples in the first post.

M23

Spoiler

• 11 months later...

Thanks for this great UDF it is super useful 👍

However I have a problem with the max width of a word. If it's wider than the GUI it won't break the word into multiple lines, but return an error instead...

I am very scared of using it with unknow text variables, so I can't use it to make functions that use it.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit : Also it would be very convenient if the buttons could have different sizes, so if we have a button with a long text the GUI doesn't have to be enormous to fit 4 buttons, and we could have more buttons.

Thanks

Edited by Zehir

• Melba23 changed the title to Extended Message Box - New Version: 16 Feb 24