How to find UMP COM port in WMI?

NiVZ

Hello,

I'm writing software to interact with Diabetic Blood Sugar Meters. So far I've got 2 working and am trying a third.

Most meters use a USB to Serial cable and I need to identify the COM port it is using. For the two I have working this was easy using the following script:

; Set return varialbe to -1 for error
    $return = -1

; Flags for WMI
    $wbemFlagReturnImmediately  = 0x10      ;DO NOT CHANGE
    $wbemFlagForwardOnly        = 0x20      ;DO NOT CHANGE

; Try to connect to WMI
    $wbemService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\localhost\root\WMI")

; Check we got a WMI object
    if IsObj($wbemService) then

; Query WMI for Serial Devices which are on USB
        $wbemObjectSet = $wbemService.ExecQuery("Select * from MSSerial_PortName where InstanceName LIKE 'USB%'", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly)

; Check we get a results object
        If IsObj($wbemObjectSet) Then

; Loop through each result
            For $wbemObject In $wbemObjectSet

; Get the Port no of this device
                $PortName       = $wbemObject.PortName

; Get the device Instance name without the last 2 characters as these are not used in registry
                $InstanceName   = StringLeft($wbemObject.InstanceName, StringLen($wbemObject.InstanceName)-2)

;MsgBox(0,"", $InstanceName & @CRLF & $PortName)

; Read the registry device name to check it is Prolific USB-to-Serial
                $DeviceName = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\" & $InstanceName, "FriendlyName")

; If we've found the correct device then set the return variable to the Port number
                If StringLeft($DeviceName, 29) = "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" Then $return = $PortName

Next

EndIf

EndIf

ConsoleWrite($return & @CRLF & @CRLF)

This cable also shows up in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_067b&Pid_2303\5&18d8be1c&0&1.

The new meter I'm trying to access uses a different cable and is not detected by my script. I've found it in the registry and it's under the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\umpport\com\6&154241fc&0&0000

I've never heard of a UMP Port. Does anyone know what CLASS in the WMI I should use to access these?

Thanks,

NiVZ

Edited by NiVZ

UMP seems to stand for "Universal Management Port".

I'm still searching and will post my findings.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Appreciate your help. I did a quick Google and searched MSDN but got nowhere fast.

In theory I could just loop through the registry searching for the cable name and get the PortName out of the Parameters key, but it would be nice to have the option to use WMI.

Does anyone have any comments on whether it's better to use WMI or registry for this type of thing?

Thanks,

NiVZ

Sorry, didn't find anything meaningful. Maybe you could ask the vendor how to access their product.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Appreciate your help. I did a quick Google and searched MSDN but got nowhere fast.

In theory I could just loop through the registry searching for the cable name and get the PortName out of the Parameters key, but it would be nice to have the option to use WMI.

Does anyone have any comments on whether it's better to use WMI or registry for this type of thing?

Thanks,

NiVZ

This post might give some help.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

This post might give some help.

Thanks Martin.

I had found this key as I use it to list the available COM ports. Think I might have to use a combination of looping through the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\UMPPORT to find the device I'm looking for (it can appear multiple times if you've plugged it into different USB ports, and each one gets a different COM port in the 'Device Parameters' sub-key).

Then when I've found one, I can check it's 'Device Parameters' COM port against the HKLM\Hardware\SERIALCOMM key to see if it's currently available/active and if it is, then chances are it's the correct COM port.

Not the tidiest method, but at least it will work, and won't rely on WMI either ;o)

Thanks,

NiVZ

Hello,

Here's the code I've put together to do this. The function accepts two parameters.

1. The name of the device you are looking for

2. The class under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum you want to search (since I need to search either 'USB' or 'UMPPORT')

The function loops through all the device GUID's (and instance sub-keys) doing a string match of the first parameter with the 'FriendlyName' (minus the (COM??) that registry adds.

When it finds a match it then grabs the 'PortName' from the 'Device Parameters' sub key and checks this against the currently known Active COM ports.

When both a string match and a COM port match is found it returns the name of the COM port, otherwise it returns -1.

NiVZ

; Seacrh for Abbott USB cable in UMPPORT devices
$Abbott = _FindCOM("USB - Abbott Strip Port Cable", "umpport")

; Search for Lifescan Onetouch cable in USB devices
$Lifescan = _FindCOM("Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port", "USB")

#cs
##############################################################################################################
# Function: _FindCOM($inDeviceName, $inClassKey)
#
# $inDeviceName     - is the registry 'FriendlyName' of the device you want to find
# $inClassKey       - is the Bass class under HKLM\System\Enum where you want to search, eg USB, UMPPORT
#
# Function searches through all the device GUID's looking for a match and then compares the 'PortName' from
# 'Device Parameters' with the open COM ports in HKLM\System\Hardware\SerialCOMM
#
# Function returns the COM port name if an active COM port is found for the device, eg 'COM1'
# or -1 if an active COM port is NOT found
#
##############################################################################################################
#ce
Func _FindCOM($inDeviceName, $inClassKey)

ConsoleWrite("*** Getting COM Port for: " & $inDeviceName & @CRLF)

Local $i = 1

$ClassKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\" & $inClassKey

; DEVICE LOOP - Loop through all DEVICE GUID's
    While 1

; Get the Device GUID for this loop
        $DeviceKey = RegEnumKey($ClassKey, $i)
        If @error Then ExitLoop

Local $j = 1

; INSTANCE LOOP - Loop through all instances of the device (if it has been connected to different ports)
        While 1

; Get the Device Instance for this loop
            $InstanceKey = RegEnumKey($ClassKey & "\" & $DeviceKey, $j)
            If @error Then ExitLoop

; Read the friendly name
            $FriendlyName = RegRead($ClassKey & "\" & $DeviceKey & "\" & $InstanceKey, "FriendlyName")
            If @error Then ExitLoop

; The registry FriendlyName has the COM Port in brackets so need to remove this before trying the match
            If StringLeft($FriendlyName, StringInStr($FriendlyName, " (COM")-1) = $inDeviceName Then 
                ; We have a match so get the COM port for this instance
                $COMtoCheck = RegRead($ClassKey & "\" & $DeviceKey & "\" & $InstanceKey & "\Device Parameters", "PortName")
                ConsoleWrite(@TAB & "Device Found at: " & $ClassKey & "\" & $DeviceKey & "\" & $InstanceKey & " using port " & $COMtoCheck & @CRLF)

; Check if this is an Active COM Port
                Local $k = 1

; COM PORT LOOP - Loop through all the open COM ports
                While 1

; Get the Active COM port for this loop
                    $ActiveCOMPort = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM\", RegEnumVal("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM\", $k))
                    If @Error then ExitLoop

If $ActiveComPort = $COMtoCheck Then
                        ; If the Active COM port for this loop equals our Device COM port then we have found the correct port
                        $Active = True
                        ExitLoop
                    Else
                        ; Otherwise keep checking the other Active COM ports
                        $Active = False
                    EndIf

$k += 1
                WEND

If $Active Then
                    ; If we set active variable to true then return the COM port
                    ConsoleWrite(@TAB & "Port " & $COMtoCheck & " is ACTIVE" & @CRLF)
                    ConsoleWrite("*** RETURN: " & $COMtoCheck & @CRLF)
                    Return $COMtoCheck
                Else
                    ; The COM port on this instance is not active
                    ConsoleWrite(@TAB & "Port " & $COMtoCheck & " is NOT ACTIVE" & @CRLF)
                EndIf

EndIf

$j += 1

WEnd

$i += 1

WEnd

; Could Not Find Active COM Port for matching device
    ConsoleWrite("*** RETURN: -1" & @CRLF)
    Return -1

EndFunc

NiVZ

• 1 year later...