Rapid Video Converter

seangriffin

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think if I come back in about 6 months it might be working?

:idea: I guess it comes down to your definition of working really? If working means all the bugs have been identified and fixed, then "no". But all software has bugs, and can be made not to work, under certain conditions.

RVC has gone through 13 iterations so far. In each of these, conversion has worked for me, though in the earliest releases it was very ugly (I'd have to say). It's come along way in 3 months. I've converted well over 200 videos. Every one of them with equivalent quality and performance to that of Avidemux, with the number of defective conversions close to nil (for me anyway).

If I were single, with a 9-5 job, I would have reached this point 2 months ago. As it is, my development time consists of 1-2 hrs some weeknights, and a few (late) hours on the weekends. But I'm very happy with where RVC is at.

Let me know of any bugs you find. I'll be keen to fix them for you. I've poored too many hours into this one to let it go.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

Version 0.14 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Fixed the bug where the "Select Path" menu item for the Source Path wasn't working.
  • Fixed the bug where the "Explore Path" menu item for the Source Path wasn't working.
  • Added multithreading to ffmpeg (-threads switch) to improve conversion performance.
  • Removed the multithreading above (sometimes crashes!).
  • Added VLC Player video preview functionality, using "VLC.au3".
  • Added "New Video Alert" checkbox to the Preferences GUI.
  • Added New Video Alert functionality, which displays a new set of controls/actions for new videos (off by default).
  • Changed converted video bitrate to be the max video bitrate if the source video bitrate can't be found (0).
  • Added an About GUI.
  • Changed the Palm based profiles to be generic "320px width devices - best" and "320px width devices - 2nd best".

This was a huge release, and seemed to take forever to complete (due to lack of free time).

In the process I developed a new UDF - the VLC UDF. Now the VLC player of previous versions is embedded into te AutoIT GUI. RVC is now looking rather schmick I think :)

Have also added "new video alerts" into this version. This is a brilliant feature recommended to me by my friend Mike. It allows the user to run RVC in the background (minimised), whilst surfing the web and downloading videos. The moment a video is downloaded to the same folder that RVC is monitoring, RVC becomes active, automatically begins playback of the downloaded video (in the new embedded VLC player) and prompts the user what to do next (rename the file, convert it, delete it or ignore it). Conversion is as simple as pressing Enter, after which RVC minimises again allowing the user to continue surfing whilst conversion completes in the background.

Note though that I haven't gotten around to updating the Help file with these new features (sorry :idea: ). But I promise it will happen.

I think RVC has gone further than most conversion tools in the UI now. I can't think of any other free conversion tool that provides this sort of versatility and automation. It's the main reason I decided to write it.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

Version 0.15 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Added a "Threads" slider to the preferences, to allow the user to select the number of threads used in conversion. Note that some videos won't convert with a value > 0. If this is the case, set this value back to 0 (no multithreading).
  • Added a mute button to the video preview pane, so audio playback does not interfere with other audio that may be playing in browsers etc.
  • Fixed the Close button on the About GUI.
Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

• 2 months later...