ADOdb & PostgreSQL works with 8.1 not 8.4

Gamey

I had a successful and working PostgreSQL connection when using version 8.1. When I updated to 8.4, it stopped working. I have tried several combinations (such as UNICODE, UTF8 and others) to no avail and am wondering if maybe the AutoIt driver needs to be updated?

It creates the connection object just fine and generates the error on the Open...

pgdb.au3 : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:

$ohand = $oConn.Open($oConnstr)

$ohand = $oConn.Open($oConnstr)^ ERROR

Does anyone have a successful PostgreSQL version 8.4 connection working and if so what is different?

$oConn = ObjCreate("ADODB.Connection")
if @error Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Could not create connection object!")
EndIf

$oConnstr = "DRIVER={PostgreSQL ANSI};DATABASE=myDb;SERVER=myServer;Port=5432;Uid=myUid;Pwd=myPwd"
$ohand = $oConn.Open($oConnstr)
Edited by Gamey

Thanks for all the help! Seriously, the lack of it made me figure it out myself which is always a gratifying thing. For anyone else who may run into this, you have to setup a Data Source Name or DSN in ODBC administration. I happened to be using XP.

And instead of connecting to a driver...

$oConnstr = "DRIVER={PostgreSQL ANSI};DATABASE=myDb;SERVER=myServer;Port=5432;Uid=myUid;Pwd=myPwd"

...you connect to the DSN....

$oConnstr = "DSN=PostgreSQLxxx;DATABASE=myDb;SERVER=myServer;Port=5432;Uid=myUid;Pwd=myPwd"

One more thing. Beginning with PostgreSQL 8.3, EnterpriseDB began providing one-click installer packages but the pginstaller packages are still available. But beginning with 8.4, only EnterpriseDB provides the installer packages; no more pginstallers for 8.4. These are for Windows. And beginning with 8.3, you must run StackBuilder and install the psqlOBDC drivers, also provided by EnterpriseDB.

• 2 months later...