Exercise your memory

james3mg

Clicked on a Google ad the other day that took me to www.lumosity.com/MindTeasers . They've got some fun mind exercises, and I felt like making one similar to their Memory Matrix, so I could change some of the configuration options.

It turned out fine (no animations or sounds, but the gameplay is easy enough and works well), so I just thought I'd share! You can see the options you can set in the first few lines- either change the defaults there or set the options in the .ini file (created in @workingdir when you finish your first game).

There's only one thing that doesn't work like I wanted- I really wanted the popup label between levels to have a translucent background, but GDIPlus wasn't doing it for me, and I didn't want to create an actual GUI other than the main one, so I just left it as a white background.

Have fun!

Global $iShapesBegin=IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","config","iShapesBegin",3)
Global $iTurnsBegin=IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","config","iTurnsBegin",10)
Global $iBoxSize=IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","config","iBoxSize",50)
Global $iMemorizeMS=IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","config","iMemorizeMS",1500)
Global $iFontSize=IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","config","iFontSize",40)

Global $aGUISize[2]=[(Ceiling((($iShapesBegin+$iTurnsBegin)-3)/2)+3)*$iBoxSize,(Floor((($iShapesBegin+$iTurnsBegin)-3)/2)+3)*$iBoxSize]
Global $hGUI=GUICreate("Memory",$aGUISize[0]-2,$aGUISize[1]+18)
GUISetBkColor(0x449944)
Global $hStatusBar=GUICtrlCreateLabel("Score: 0"&@TAB&"Shapes: "&$iShapesBegin&"/"&$iShapesBegin&@TAB&"Rounds left: "&$iTurnsBegin&@TAB&"Personal best: "&IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","Scores",$iShapesBegin&"-"&$iTurnsBegin,"0"),0,$aGUISize[1],$aGUISize[0],20)
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1,0xCCCCCC)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW,$hGUI)

While 1
    Global $iShapes=$iShapesBegin, $iScore=0
    For $iTurns=$iTurnsBegin To 0 Step -1
        GUICtrlSetData($hStatusBar,"Score: "&$iScore&@TAB&"Shapes: "&$iShapes&"/"&$iShapes&@TAB&"Rounds left: "&$iTurns&@TAB&"Personal best: "&IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","Scores",$iShapesBegin&"-"&$iTurnsBegin,"0"))
        Message($iShapes&" boxes")
        Local $iCols=Ceiling(($iShapes-3)/2)+3
        Local $iRows=Floor(($iShapes-3)/2)+3
        Local $aBoxes[$iCols][$iRows][2]
        Local $aBaseCoord[2]=[$aGUISize[0]/2-.5*$iBoxSize*$iCols,$aGUISize[1]/2-.5*$iBoxSize*$iRows]
        Local $iNumPicked=0
        Do
            $iX=Random(0,$iCols-1,1)
            $iY=Random(0,$iRows-1,1)
            If $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][1]<>"y" Then
                $iNumPicked+=1
                $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][1]="y"
                $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][0]=GUICtrlCreateLabel("",$aBaseCoord[0]+($iX*$iBoxSize),$aBaseCoord[1]+($iY*$iBoxSize),$iBoxSize-2,$iBoxSize-2)
                GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1,0x000000)
                GUICtrlSetFont(-1,$iFontSize,Default,Default,"Wingdings")
                GUICtrlSetColor(-1,0xFF0000)
            EndIf
        Until $iNumPicked=$iShapes
        For $iX=0 To $iCols-1
            For $iY=0 To $iRows-1
                If $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][1]<>"y" Then
                    $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][1]="n"
                    $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][0]=GUICtrlCreateLabel("",$aBaseCoord[0]+$iX*$iBoxSize,$aBaseCoord[1]+$iY*$iBoxSize,$iBoxSize-2,$iBoxSize-2)
                    GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1,0xFFFFFF)
                    GUICtrlSetFont(-1,$iFontSize,Default,Default,"Wingdings")
                    GUICtrlSetColor(-1,0xFF0000)
                EndIf
            Next
        Next
        $hTimer=TimerInit()
        While 1
            Sleep(15)
            If GUIGetMsg()=-3 Then Exit
            If TimerDiff($hTimer)>$iMemorizeMS Then ExitLoop
        WEnd
        For $iX=0 To $iCols-1
            For $iY=0 To $iRows-1
                If $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][1]="y" Then GUICtrlSetBkColor($aBoxes[$iX][$iY][0],0xFFFFFF)
            Next
        Next
        Local $iNumCorrect=0
        While 1
            Sleep(15)
            Local $msg=GUIGetMsg()
            If $msg=-3 Then Exit
            If $msg<0 Then ContinueLoop
            For $iX=0 To $iCols-1
                For $iY=0 To $iRows-1
                    If $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][0]=$msg Then
                        If $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][1]="y" Then
                            GUICtrlSetBkColor($aBoxes[$iX][$iY][0],0x000000)
                            $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][1]=""
                            $iNumCorrect+=1
                            $iScore+=100
                            GUICtrlSetData($hStatusBar,"Score: "&$iScore&@TAB&"Shapes: "&$iShapes-$iNumCorrect&"/"&$iShapes&@TAB&"Rounds left: "&$iTurns&@TAB&"Personal best: "&IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","Scores",$iShapesBegin&"-"&$iTurnsBegin,"0"))
                        ElseIf $aBoxes[$iX][$iY][1]="n" Then;wrong box clicked: start over on this level
                            GUICtrlSetData($aBoxes[$iX][$iY][0],"N");crossbones
                            If $iShapes > $iShapesBegin Then $iShapes-=1
                            For $_iX=0 To $iCols-1
                                For $_iY=0 To $iRows-1
                                    If $aBoxes[$_iX][$_iY][1]="y" Then GUICtrlSetBkColor($aBoxes[$_iX][$_iY][0],0xFF0000)
                                Next
                            Next
                            Sleep($iMemorizeMS)
                            For $_iX=0 To $iCols-1
                                For $_iY=0 To $iRows-1
                                    GUICtrlDelete($aBoxes[$_iX][$_iY][0])
                                Next
                            Next
                            ExitLoop 3
                        EndIf
                    EndIf
                Next
            Next
            If $iNumCorrect=$iShapes Then;all shapes clicked for this level
                For $_iX=0 To $iCols-1
                    For $_iY=0 To $iRows-1
                        If $aBoxes[$_iX][$_iY][1]="" Then GUICtrlSetData($aBoxes[$_iX][$_iY][0],"C");thumbs-up
                    Next
                Next
                $iScore+=$iShapes*100
                GUICtrlSetData($hStatusBar,"Score: "&$iScore&@TAB&"Shapes: "&$iShapes-$iNumCorrect&"/"&$iShapes&@TAB&"Rounds left: "&$iTurns&@TAB&"Personal best: "&IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","Scores",$iShapesBegin&"-"&$iTurnsBegin,"0"))
                Message("Perfect! +"&$iShapes*100&" points")
                $iShapes+=1
                For $_iX=0 To $iCols-1
                    For $_iY=0 To $iRows-1
                    Next
                Next
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        WEnd
    Next

If IniRead(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","Scores",$iShapesBegin&"-"&$iTurnsBegin,0)<$iScore Then
        IniWrite(@WorkingDir&"\MemoryConfig.ini","Scores",$iShapesBegin&"-"&$iTurnsBegin,$iScore)
        Message("Game over"&@CRLF&@CRLF&"New HIGH SCORE: "&$iScore,0)
    Else
        Message("Game over"&@CRLF&@CRLF&"Score: "&$iScore,0)
    EndIf
    If MsgBox(4+32,"Play again?","Would you like to play again?")=7 Then Exit
    For $_iX=0 To $iCols-1
        For $_iY=0 To $iRows-1
        Next
    Next
WEnd

Func Message($_sMsg,$_bTimeout=1)
    Local $_tmp=GUICtrlCreateLabel(@CRLF&$_sMsg,$aGUISize[0]/2-100,$aGUISize[1]/2-70,200,140,0x1)
    GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1,0xFFFFFF)
    GUICtrlSetFont(-1,16,600,2,"Swis721 BlkCn BT",5)
    If $_bTimeout=1 Then
        Sleep($iMemorizeMS)
        GUICtrlDelete($_tmp)
    EndIf
EndFunc
"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

Glad you both like it :mellow: (though I'm not sure how logmein manages to "lose" the game :()

I thought about adding more features, but I probably won't go beyond a menu bar from which you can launch a new game or configure options- I like that it's a nice 'n small script with nary a single include file and no fileinstalls (I even figured out how to do "graphics" with only pre-installed fonts), and I'm not anxious to change from that setup for such a dinky game. Anyone else would be welcome to run with it though...

Anyway, I thought it was fun and just wanted to share. Glad you tried it out and liked it. Have a nice weekend!

"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110