Error: EndUpdateResource: Returncode = 0 - LastError:110:

"Resource Update errors" message box during compile says...

Error: EndUpdateResource: Returncode = 0 - LastError:110:The system cannot open the device or file specified.

Full console output.

>"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /ShowGui /in "F:\DropBox\DropBox (BinaryBrother)\My Dropbox\Public\ClosedSource\main.au3"
+>19:03:56 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.1.22   Environment(Language:0409 Keyboard:00000409 OS:WIN_7/ CPU:X64 OS:X86)
-> 1 Change(s) made.
>Running AU3Check (1.54.19.0) from:C:\Program Files\AutoIt3
+>19:04:01 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.4.0):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\aut2exe\aut2exe.exe /in "F:\DropBox\DropBox (BinaryBrother)\My Dropbox\Public\ClosedSource\main.au3" /out "F:\DropBox\DropBox (BinaryBrother)\My Dropbox\Public\ClosedSource\xx.exe" /nopack /icon "F:\DropBox\DropBox (BinaryBrother)\My Dropbox\Public\ClosedSource\1260210882_Camera.ico" /comp 4
+>19:04:04 Aut2exe.exe ended.rc:0
>19:04:04 Performing the Program Resource Update steps:
...>Updating Program Version information.
...>Updating Program Manifest information.
!>19:04:04 Error: EndUpdateResource: Returncode = 0 - LastError:110:The system cannot open the device or file specified.rc:2
!>19:04:04 Error: Program Resource updating Failed. The output program will not contain the Resource updates!rc:2
>Exit code: 0   Time: 98.861

I'll PM source when requested. Otherwise, I've actually sold the source code, and I'm pretty sure the new owner would get mad If I posted it for grabs on a public forum. Thanks guys!

Recap: I'm getting an error at compile, which does not occur in debug (non-compile) runs with the above details.

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

• Developers

Understand it will only possibly trigger this error at compilation time as this is the resource update step that generates the error.

Does it always error out?

What AV or malware software are you using and does it help to temporary switch it off?

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

Just the directives for starters will do.

By the way: What is your F: drive? a mapped drive, usb or internal drive?

Have you tried doing the same thing from the C: drive?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_icon=1260210882_Camera.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_outfile=ShareQuickNewGuy.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=4
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Language=1033
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_requestedExecutionLevel=requireAdministrator
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

I just tried from C:\ drive and it worked perfectly with no error. My F:\ drive is simply a secondary physical drive. I'll admit it didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted, but my set-up is as follows...

C:\ (Primary - IDE)

D:\ (DVD-Rom - USB)

E:\ (WD External - USB)

F:\ (Secondary HDD - Sata)

I know you probably didn't need all that info, but maybe it helps. :mellow:

I suppose this is a small bug then, either involving "( )" in the path name, or because I was adding a resource from a secondary drive?

Thanks for your help Jos.

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

• Developers

#AutoIt3Wrapper_icon=1260210882_Camera.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_outfile=ShareQuickNewGuy.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=4
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_requestedExecutionLevel=requireAdministrator

I just tried from C:\ drive and it worked perfectly with no error. My F:\ drive is simply a secondary physical drive. I'll admit it didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted, but my set-up is as follows...

C:\ (Primary - IDE)

D:\ (DVD-Rom - USB)

E:\ (WD External - USB)

F:\ (Secondary HDD - Sata)

I know you probably didn't need all that info, but maybe it helps. :mellow:

I suppose this is a small bug then, either involving "( )" in the path name, or because I was adding a resource from a secondary drive?

Thanks for your help Jos.

The challenge with these issues is to get into a state that it can be replicated.

I know Melba23 reported a similar issue during the testing stage but that was resolved locally.

Will see if I or maybe wraithdu (who did a great job adding the extra options to the resource update routine) can see what wrong here.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

If it's of any help, the program appears to be unaffected and works fine after compile.

I expect it does, only the 2 requested Resource updates aren't made I suspect.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

got the same Problem. For me it was the Explorer (FileExplorer from WinXP). Ever when i had open the File"Explorer" and use the Funktion "Compile with Options" i ran into the same issue.

But when i close the Explorer before i clicked compile everything runs fine. Strange isn't it.

cu..

Zetup-EXE

I had the same thing happen (WinXP as well) when compiling a script for testing. If explorer was opened to the location of any scripts or icons I was using, compile would error. Once explorer was closed or navigated to a different location, it compiled fine.

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

• 9 months later...

Closing WindowsExplorer doesn't fix it for me.

I installed LockHunter (http://lockhunter.com/?ver=&vertype=pro&sm=main_window_64).

LockHunter shows me that the WindowsExplorer is blocking the TargetDir. Closing SciTe and WindowsExplorre then unlock the TargetDir from all Programs which are blocking it, fixed it for me.

Starting SciTe and Compile works fine then.

• 3 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but its exactly the same issue I am having...

Unfortunately I am on a "Corporate" Windows XP machine, that has McAfee endpoint protection. I cannot disable the virus protection. :)

I believe it is windows explorer updating its "icon" display when the executable is created. The error appears to happen just after the file appears but still has the default (blue window bar/white box) icon before changing to the autoit3 icon. I can sometimes trick it into working by closing the explorer window or opening it or updating the version or not updating the version or at least just trying again, but sometimes it just refuses to work. Please note that it DOES compile, but the resource update (most importantly for me, the version) does not update. It shows 3.3.6.1 (AutoIT3 version instead of my script version).

Does anyone have any tips? I am trying to write directions for someone else to do this by using "right click -> compile with options" (to embed a new file with the script).

Thanks in advance,

Tommy

• 2 months later...
  • Developers

I've been having the same problem, closing the editor and explorer window before clicking compile button seems to work. I'm running Windows 7 SP1 64Bit.

Is the current BETA version of AutoIt3Wrapper still giving this issue?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developers

It is for me

Any changes or exactly the same each time you do an F7?

..or is it now only the first time?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 2 months later...

same issue here also when compiling CTRL + F7

win 7 x64 sp1

clevo/sager laptop

AutoIT 3.3.6.1 or 3.3.7.14 beta (installed using 32 bit tools)

my system drive is an SSD, so i do all heavy writing to a second, internal IDE drive with 3 partitions (D, E, F). AutoIT is installed on the system drive, but scripts and compilations are stored on the IDE on F:

the error is the same - "system cannot open the device or file specified.rc:2" - but does not happen all the time - maybe 20% of the time. sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times in a row. neither drive is idling or powered down at the time, so i'm guessing it has nothing to do with the power state

i haven't noticed any pattern and haven't been able to reproduce reliably

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Version=beta ; this doesn't matter
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon=DEV\icon.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile=tst.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n; this doesn't matter
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_AU3Check=n; this doesn't matter
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Stop_OnWarning=y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Parameters=-w 3 -w 5
#Tidy_Parameters=/bdir DEV\_BackUp
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Obfuscator=y; this doesn't matter
#Obfuscator_Parameters=/SF /SV /OM

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)

just got this after resuming from standby > run TiDy > compile (release, not beta) - again, i can't reproduce it however...

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /ShowGui /in "F:\autoit\test\test.au3"
+>10:59:59 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.3.0    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_7/Service Pack 1  CPU:X64 OS:X64)
-> 1 Change(s) made.
>Running:(3.3.7.14):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Beta\aut2exe\aut2exe_x64.exe  /in "F:\autoit\test\test.au3" /out "F:\autoit\test\test.exe" /nopack /icon "DEV\icon.ico" /comp 2 /x86
!>11:00:08 Aut2exe.exe ended errors because the target exe wasn't created, abandon build.rc:9999
>Exit code: 0   Time: 9.726

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Version=beta
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon=DEV\icon.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile=test.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_AU3Check=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Stop_OnWarning=y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Parameters=-w 3 -w 5
#Tidy_Parameters=/bdir DEV\_BackUp
#Obfuscator_Parameters=/SF /SV /OM

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)