New to AutoIt, lock mouse keyboard

A real simple way to nip that in the bud is simply use Active Directory to set the profile so that they can't change it. To keep them out, you simply prevent the user from accessing the controls to change the desktop wallpaper.

Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't a local admin override that group policy setting? If I am right, then I still have the problem because most users, even though my opinion is they shouldn't be, are local admins. If I am wrong, then I will have to see why we aren't using that. However, from time to time, the default preferred wallpaper is changed in order to promote something and is used for 10-30 days, and then switched back. I know that I can edit the wallpaper, and the new one will show up during the next reboot, but again, we would like it to happen immediately since most of our machines are always powered on and remain on until patches/updates are installed (once a month or so).

I have a working script/process for XP, just trying to get something working for Windows 7 since more and more of our devices are moving to that OS.

Thanks?

Regardless of whether I need to learn more about administrating Active Directory or not, I still have an issue of making the change happen immediately which AD will not control.

And since I haven't seen the reply of "AutoIt will block user input on Windows 7 devices", I will assume it can't and will find other means of getting it done.

And since I haven't seen the reply of "AutoIt will block user input on Windows 7 devices", I will assume it can't and will find other means of getting it done.

On Windows Vista and 7 you will need to use #RequireAdmin in the script to get BlockInput to work, and if they're not an admin then your script won't run at all.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks?

Regardless of whether I need to learn more about administrating Active Directory or not, I still have an issue of making the change happen immediately which AD will not control.

Active Directory WILL do this quickly. Not only that, it will set it so you never have to fix it again. I understand you urgency, but you need to think of how to deal with this correctly, not just throwing a bandaid at it. I know for a fact that it can do it for we have it setup this way in our environment.

Unfortunately AD won't change the wallpaper regardless of the setting until the user logs out or reboots, there's no way for it to change it without that happening.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Unfortunately AD won't change the wallpaper regardless of the setting until the user logs out or reboots, there's no way for it to change it without that happening.

Thank you for acknowledging that AD won't make it happen immediately, just after a reboot or log out/in. I need it to happen immediately. I do have a script that will do this on Windows 7, but in order for me to be sure that it will complete, I need to prevent the end user from clicking around or typing. That's why I had hoped the BlockInput command would work, but again at this point, it fails to work for Windows 7. This is going to be a problem moving forward once I look to script software install/uninstalls that don't have CMD access and require GUI interaction.