Opening Ports

This has to do with the the topic called P2P in Windows, but the program I am trying to run (XAAMP Light -webserver) needs the TCP ports 80 and 3306 opened. To do this I had to acces my routers setup page. I was wondering if there was a way in windows to automate this for any router.

[LATEST POST: #77912]

Edited by computergeek

This has to do with the the topic called P2P in Windows, but the program I am trying to run (XAAMP Light -webserver) needs the TCP ports 80 and 3306 opened. To do this I had to acces my routers setup page. I was wondering if there was a way in windows to automate this for any router.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would only work if all routers in the world were from the same brand. I know that Microsoft loves that idea, but those nasty boxes are all different.

However, most routers accept HTTP-POST commands to change parameters. But you would have to know the correct URL for all router types.

-Sven

When i ment all routers it could be a differen't config for each one just that i could do it for the majority of them. Well atleast they can accept HTTP-POST.

Could you show me an example of an http-post to a router and will i have to google the stuff to find out for each router or is there a databse/page.

But there is no way to do it in windows then right? :(

Thanks.

Edited by computergeek

I've read your other topic, now I see this.

If you want people to download from YOUR webserver, they won't need to open any ports.

And if you're trying to get them to run a webserver on THEIR computer, you're sadly mistaken, I sure wouldn't do that just to download some files...

the script creates a server on the clients computer tells the main server these are the files i have and allows others to download from the client. It's p2p and the client has to be able to host, so their ports do need to be open.

>if you know of another way to host the files on the clients computer then i am all for it but otherwise this is the only way...

Edited by computergeek

the script creates a server on the clients computer tells the main server these are the files i have and allows others to download from the client. It's p2p and the client has to be able to host, so their ports do need to be open.

>if you know of another way to host the files on the clients computer then i am all for it but otherwise this is the only way...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there is a protocol to do this called UPNP, but not all routers accept UPNP commands. I don't know any of the specifics of the protcol, but I'm sure you can google it.

Thanks, i will look into it... (I have a speech on milk to do [yes cows milk, it's an expos] :( ) So i can't look into it just yet...

>if anyone knows of a list of how to acces the routers setup and config screens please post.

>if you know of the routers that support the UPNP commands and or about the commands please post

>if you know of another way to host the files (w/o a webserver) please post

>if you know of some interesting or strange facts on milk PLEASE POST!!!

Edited by computergeek

Thanks, i will look into it... (I have a speech on milk to do [yes cows milk, it's an expos] :( ) So i can't look into it just yet...

>if anyone knows of a list of how to acces the routers setup and config screens please post.

>if you know of the routers that support the UPNP commands and or about the commands please post

>if you know of another way to host the files (w/o a webserver) please post

>if you know of some interesting or strange facts on milk PLEASE POST!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://viswiz.imk.fraunhofer.de/~steffi/madcow/madcow.htm

(don't drink the milk from the righthand cow)

I googled it but nothing useful comes up except for the different routers that support it and how to run their setup wizard  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about:

http://www.knoxscape.com/Upnp/NAT.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...ate/upnpxp.mspx

Hope they help... I, as a general rule, turn off UPNP in all routers that I install, because of security concerns. However, what you want to do does seem to be a legitimate use of a very dangerous protocol.

You might look into using port triggering instead of just opening a port. Have you given any thought to how you are going to distribute the client list and shared file list?

Very Nice :( ! I will make sure to close the port when i am done with it :(.

>Also, could someone tell me how I could implement this in Autoit, I have never had to call a dll before... [VersionIndependentProgID: HNetCfg.NATUPnP]

You might look into using port triggering instead of just opening a port.

>Sounds interesting and safer, but how would I set it up?

Have you given any thought to how you are going to distribute the client list and shared file list?

>The client list will basaically reside on a main server (already have it add the files to the database and setup but it is still being worked on!)...http://www.haloacademy.com/p2p

>(back to my milk speech...)

Edited by computergeek

The only way U can do that is to know what type of router the user have, fx. i have a netgear router, to open port 80 in that i simply choose http in at drop down menu, however my old router was a NorthQ and to open port 80 in that, i had to choose Firewall > Nat > Port forwording, and then enter my port's one by one.

One of my frinds have a topcom router, and to forword the P80 in that u have to choose somthing like Advance setup > komunication > port forwording a.s.o.

The only way, to my nolage is to tell the user that he/she has to do the port80 forword manuley.

Looks like a cool program but I want to be able to do it in Autoit which I think u might have to do by useing the dll method or objcreate method but I haven't been lucky with any of them yet :(

Edited by computergeek